Notices

Lake Cumberland

Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,213 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
It was actually based out of Jamestown and mid American boating put it on. It moved to state dock in 2004 after a lot of noise complaints by slip holders. If my memory is correct jasper bought it in spring of 2006. It wasn’t a hot mess by any means.

I don’t know the original start year but I have a koozie I inherited somewhere along the way from poker run 99.
tmmii,

Your memory is undoubtedly better than mine. The first one I actually observed was 2008 or 2009. The wife and I went out on my dad’s boat (we didn’t own our own yet). My dad lived on the lake. We didn’t. My dad could have gotten some of the details wrong or my memory could have distorted them some.

A Hell of a lot of good it did, as far as noise, moving it from Jamestown to StateDock, though, huh? 😆

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Old 09-14-2021, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
tmmii,

Your memory is undoubtedly better than mine. The first one I actually observed was 2008 or 2009. The wife and I went out on my dad’s boat (we didn’t own our own yet). My dad lived on the lake. We didn’t. My dad could have gotten some of the details wrong or my memory could have distorted them some.

A Hell of a lot of good it did, as far as noise, moving it from Jamestown to StateDock, though, huh? 😆

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
So again, what did you didit? Daddy didit's do not count for much on here. Most of us here are about what you did on your own. Just sayin".

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-14-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So I wonder what happens when they get you BUI, arrest and they take your boat in or how does that work? Not drinking anything is hard . Pretty sure there weren`t many people sober that day . I was having some stomach issues (probably hung over) and couldn`t keep anything down so I guess that was lucky for me.

Also I was on 500 dock, that`s a 10 minute walk to the bathrooms, electric scooter came in real handy!!
ICDEDPLP,

Yup. They tow that biotch. Watched it happen this weekend. Lake patrol pulled one out broadsided, then SeaTow latched on to it and towed it to either (I’m assuming) StateDock or Jamestown. We watched lake patrol drag it out of the gauntlet and release it to SeaTow, and then we saw it under tow headed toward StateDock.

They don’t play. But, I’m guessing things went WAY sideways for that to happen. I know we watched as at least four lake patrol boats came in, on plane, lights flashing, through the NWZ, and go into the gauntlet. Then, a while later, out the unmanned boat came, lashed to the side of one of the patrol boats. 🤷‍♀️

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 09-14-2021, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Mark,

But, as I understand it, the PR was a hot mess for the first couple years and Bill provided a decent venue to run it from as well as some real funding to make it really thrive.

I’ll admit, my knowledge is second hand from my dad.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

The former group-owners had it from somewhere between 1995 and 1999. Not exactly sure but when it first started I was in a 1995 boat that i had until we upgraded in 1999. The first years it was hosted out of Jamestown Marina. We moved to State Dock in late 2005 and at that point I am thinking the host venue moved to State Dock in and around that time + - a year. Shortly after that Bill and his constituents at State Dock got the rights to it and began running it from that point forward until they sold to Suntex.

Mark
Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

ICDEDPLP,

Yup. They tow that biotch. Watched it happen this weekend. Lake patrol pulled one out broadsided, then SeaTow latched on to it and towed it to either (I’m assuming) StateDock or Jamestown. We watched lake patrol drag it out of the gauntlet and release it to SeaTow, and then we saw it under tow headed toward StateDock.

They don’t play. But, I’m guessing things went WAY sideways for that to happen. I know we watched as at least four lake patrol boats came in, on plane, lights flashing, through the NWZ, and go into the gauntlet. Then, a while later, out the unmanned boat came, lashed to the side of one of the patrol boats. 🤷‍♀️

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

I have had buddys get the bui down there in the past, They take you for a couple hrs, right you a ticket which you can fight if you want and if you have some sober with you or around that you can call they will turn the boat over to them. I have also seen them just toss your anchor out and leave it.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bencini231
That's terrible to hear about someone drowning and others being ejected. I don't mean to sound rude and please don't take this out of context, but when some people hear about things like that happening they automatically blame it one the boats out there participating in the event. Even though those of us who actually take part in poker runs know that these accidents were not the fault of us running in the events. In the past we have ran past boats that were way to overloaded to be on the water and they are crossing in front of people like its nothing. That's really crazy especially when it gets stirred up on the stretch from state dock to Harmon. My wife is constantly looking on both sides and behind us all the time when we are in the poker runs. I really don't care to go to Harmon because of the careless people there throwing things out in the water and not having respect for others property. The only time we have went through the Gauntlet, my wife was literally cussing at people when they were about to throw something towards us. I wish more people would do the poker run instead of just saying they are going to the run and end up just going to Harmon Creek, then some come back to the docks to get in slips that should be for us actually doing the run. There's plenty of time to party when you get back to the docks. As far as shotgun starts go, Thunder Run in June is still a shotgun start.
It happen friday running to lees ford going through I think they call it Greasy Creek
​​​​​​​
Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
So again, what did you didit? Daddy didit's do not count for much on here. Most of us here are about what you did on your own. Just sayin".
Ragged,

Much of my boating experience came from my childhood, boating with my dad on Cumberland. He had a house on the lake, across from Burnside Island. My wife and I have since bought our own boat (now a second), and are carrying on the family tradition.

In ‘76, my dad bought an empty hull from Nordic and built the boat from there. It had a blown 482 and a V-drive. It would run a solid 85MPH and could pull five slaloms from a wet start (!). That boat had a snarl that I’ll never forget. There was a comment made about how one never gets rid of the “rumble bug” once it gets a grip on you, and I was only supporting the notion, citing my dad’s longing to convert his much quieter, much slower SeaRay to a much louder, much faster SeaRay.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 09-14-2021 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fasthawk6
It happen friday running to lees ford going through I think they call it Greasy Creek
Fasthawk,

As I understood it, the drowning took place at Jamestown. There was a multiple ejection near Lee’s Ford on Friday, but I was told they all came out OK.

Lee’s Ford is on Fishing Creek. Greasy Creek is behind Jamestown.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 622 Likes on 183 Posts

Well this was my first time and it was fun but not likely that I would go again,
The lack of hotels remotely close to the venue is an issue. when you sign up you can get one room only, so ended up signing up for the poker run twice just to get two rooms, nearest hotels are like an hour away., I know most people get a house boat and now I know why, you have to take a shuttle to get from the rooms to the dock ( that is where everything happens ) and no way are most people are ever going to be able to hike up those hills to get to lodges.
Once you go there and have an idea what's going on I think its fine but for us the lack of information was pretty interesting. when we checked in they told us to go to Pumpkin creek lodge as opposed to the lure lodge where you check in, a map would have been nice but the explanation was its the original lodge just go there,. ( that helped a lot) after driving around for a bit we finally did find it, so after getting settled into the room we drive down to the dock. any parking remotely close to the dock is reserved so end up going back to the lodge and walking down one steep ass hill to get to the dock. just as we get there a shuttle bus drives up, ( Humm would have been nice to know about that) Shuttle drivers were all super nice. as was pretty much everyone, having the shuttle bus number is needed,
As you get to the dock there is a nice open air bar/restaurant and store,
The poker run itself was not really a run at all. over the two days you have 10 marinas you can go to and get your card punched, but they all seemed to be just that marinas not bars restaurants like Loto, One of the people I heard about was Skinny and he puts on a pizza lunch in a marina that is far end of the lake. ( that was a fun time and chance to check out the other boats) super nice guy,
Friday and sat night is the party on the dock. that was fun. but the only place to get drinks is back at the bar which closes at 10pm. but most people have houseboats so they have there own drinks.. place was rocking until after midnight and a lot of fun. People we met offered us drinks so we didn't go without but was still kind of strange that you couldn't get your own, also the shuttle stops running at midnight. so if you are not on a house boat you better leave early.
we stuck around on Sunday and the place was a ghost town, also shuttle stopped at 6pm, same time the restaurant and bar closed.
it was amazing how many trees and logs there are floating in the water. the tie up at Harmon creek is something to behold. since my boat didn't make it I was on a buddies 42 tiger with big blower motors and no way he was going got go thru that mess. it makes the channel in Havasu seem like a wide open throughfare, The amount of patrol boats around when leaving was unbelievable. it was literally an obstacle course to go thru them.
Am I happy I went? for sure. but now I feel like its a been there done that thing. I would haul the boat out to LOTO no questions asked. don't think I would even fly out to Cumberland to do the run again on someone else's boat. but still glad I went
The following 5 users liked this post by H20 Toie:
BIGSLOW (09-15-2021), Griff (09-15-2021), ICDEDPPL (09-14-2021), obnoxus (09-15-2021), trickey (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 06:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Ragged,

This pic is actually a pic of a pic, as there are no digital pics of the boat. This pic was taken more to show the homage to my dad and the boat he built when I built my first AR15, but..

This is the Nordic I grew up boating on and skiing behind. Lots of very fond memories.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.