Notices

Fuel in the bilge?

Old 11-26-2021, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel in the bilge?

In order, what would you check as a cause of the leak before jumping right to a tank replacement? Boat is a 2004 Bluewater 2350, noticed fuel smell one trip. Next trip saw some fuel in the bilge, trip after saw some more. Primer bulb, hoses, hose connections, sending unit....Anything else to check? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,184 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Found this. Cross your fingers it’s this or a line vs the tank.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ding-unit.html

Be careful around gas fumes !
Old 11-26-2021, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 525 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Found this. Cross your fingers it’s this or a line vs the tank.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ding-unit.html

Be careful around gas fumes !
Good article
Old 11-26-2021, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

setup have a fuel demand valve mounted to tank? my rig would literally build up enough pressure to crack those pieces of crap and once that happens you had fuel smell in bilge and no prime on the fuel system (pain in the A$$). I literally just drilled a ¹/¹⁶ hole in the stainless gas cap and everything has been perfect after 2 sets of the valves...

before I did that it would literally sound like a jet engine for a few seconds from the pressure releasing when you popped the cap.

image of culprit attached....

The following users liked this post:
SB (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 08:20 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
setup have a fuel demand valve mounted to tank? my rig would literally build up enough pressure to crack those pieces of crap and once that happens you had fuel smell in bilge and no prime on the fuel system (pain in the A$$). I literally just drilled a ¹/¹⁶ hole in the stainless gas cap and everything has been perfect after 2 sets of the valves...

before I did that it would literally sound like a jet engine for a few seconds from the pressure releasing when you popped the cap.

image of culprit attached....
You don’t have a gas tank vent ? If you do, there is an issue there.
sorry op.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
You don’t have a gas tank vent ? If you do, there is an issue there.
sorry op.
no it's some EPA issue with a ventless cap... stupid idea. the hole fixed it. but I played hell figuring it out with 0 help or care from the manufacturer. and I bought this boat new.
The following users liked this post:
SB (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 444 Likes on 265 Posts

Isn't the vent hose supposed to go up above the vent then back down to the vent to create a air lock to avoid splash running down into the tank. The corrosion in the above link looks really bad. Ethanol/water in the gas?
Old 11-30-2021, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not completely sure what your setup is but I had a fuel line crack and spew fuel in my bilge. Could smell the fuel when driving and the motor started running really bad popping and such, starving for fuel obviously. I found out that my lines were 8 years old and it is suggested to replace the lines every 6-8 years because of ethanol in the gas. Hope this helps and you fine where it is coming from. Nothing scarier than fuel in the bilge when driving. Good luck bud.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 413 Likes on 278 Posts

friend of mine had a cracked stainless fuel line under the copper nut... sooooo slightly cracked if was a challenge to know for sure. idle was not leaking much but of course at 4k was probably real bad! had to temporarly fix with rubber hose, till the new one ordered came in...many many weeks later because of back orders... !!!!
Old 11-30-2021, 05:25 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by A Catz Bark
I found out that my lines were 8 years old and it is suggested to replace the lines every 6-8 years because of ethanol in the gas. Hope this helps and you fine where it is coming from. Nothing scarier than fuel in the bilge when driving. Good luck bud.
Never heard of this.
What motors and which lines ? And are they Rubber ? Steel ? Etc ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.