SOLVED: Why Owners Sell Mid Project >

SOLVED: Why Owners Sell Mid Project

Notices

SOLVED: Why Owners Sell Mid Project

Old 03-13-2022, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 461 Posts

After Richy and Janet hacked up my boat, lost 40k on that then to get all of that off and done right was an additional 100k....
Old 03-13-2022, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 657 Likes on 309 Posts

Been there in the car world. Years ago I was into restoring British cars, mainly Triumphs. Had a project TR6 that was a little more than I wanted to do, plus was working a TR7 and an MGB in my own shop. To make a REALLY long story short, the TR6 was 'in work' for over two years...I literally had forgot I had it, there had been so many delays and false promises, etc. As others in this thread have noted, the frustration is off the chart...there are times when you just really can't believe the fawking you are getting.
articfriends (03-14-2022), the deep (05-03-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Biggest part of the problem is so many people just aren’t honest. Like glass Dave says whatever you think needs to be replaced you can nearly double it when it’s said and done. That I understand when it comes to moisture and rot. Almost like buying any used boat I think it’s a good idea to figure in an addition 7k for misc engine-drive-rot etc. If you get lucky then party on.

Hopefully everything starts to go better for you.
Then another issue is some of these big name shops/builders (and some small ones) dont have time to barely finish the work they got BUT they live beyond their means, fancy trucks, houses, boats,etc and NEED new work to fund their lifestyle and to finish the work in front of you with the money from YOUR job! Then, they take on new work that should be AFTER yours because again, they need the money! car restoration shops are worse than boat repair shops! in end, after they take 2 years vs the 4 months you anticipated they RUSH the job and cut corners, i see this in business all the time!
The following 6 users liked this post by articfriends:
1983ScarabIII (05-04-2022), bob (05-04-2022), bulletbob (05-04-2022), Gimme Fuel (03-15-2022), sutphen 30 (07-09-2023), TrippM (03-15-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

And it keeps getting better. Now the mechanic who derigged the boat, cutting harnesses etc. mid span refuses to reinstall the drivetrain. 13 months down for transom and headliner. Fun times!
Old 05-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had a boat I got so tired of dealing with that, I started doing everything myself, including a complete transom replacement. It sucked, I will never do another one but we made it to our big NYC poker run on time and honestly its what let me know I was able to do all of the maintenance myself and never paid anyone to do anything from that day forward except the things I'm not able to do ,engine rebuilds, paint, etc.. I feel like this issue has gotten 10X worse since Covid started though. I had a custom car on order in mid 2019 that was supposed to take a year, I just got it a month ago. Given its unbelievably bad ass, I was so angry with the people by the end from all of the lies, issues, runarounds, that it put a serious damper on the excitement and enjoyment of finally getting the car. Its so frustrating to deal with people and be so out of control, I know how you feel.
The following users liked this post:
Helmwurst (05-06-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

I have a guy I like using but a boat manufacturer contracts him to rig their new builds so that they can deliver more boats. That’s his main priority and I get pushed back.

I talked to Marlago boats last week and they estimated $370k for a new 37SS. So it makes sense to keep fixing the old boats until the market cools off. Obviously everyone has the same idea and these shops are just overwhelmed.

I also diligently shopped for a boat that has no wood in it.
The following users liked this post:
Tractionless (05-07-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 268 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
And it keeps getting better. Now the mechanic who derigged the boat, cutting harnesses etc. mid span refuses to reinstall the drivetrain. 13 months down for transom and headliner. Fun times!
geeze. Who TF did you find
Old 05-07-2022, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotime34
When I had a boat I got so tired of dealing with that, I started doing everything myself, including a complete transom replacement. It sucked, I will never do another one but we made it to our big NYC poker run on time and honestly its what let me know I was able to do all of the maintenance myself and never paid anyone to do anything from that day forward except the things I'm not able to do ,engine rebuilds, paint, etc.. I feel like this issue has gotten 10X worse since Covid started though. I had a custom car on order in mid 2019 that was supposed to take a year, I just got it a month ago. Given its unbelievably bad ass, I was so angry with the people by the end from all of the lies, issues, runarounds, that it put a serious damper on the excitement and enjoyment of finally getting the car. Its so frustrating to deal with people and be so out of control, I know how you feel.
I do absolutely everything I can which stops at puling engines, transom assemblies and reconstructing transoms and stringers, as I do not have the lifting means nor storage and not working on it in blistering heat outdoors. I knew the repair was inevitable and my current situation is why I put it off as long as possible. As soon as my driveline is back in my hands I'll be releasing the keyboard hounds on the offenders lol.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 315duramax
geeze. Who TF did you find

All was well, so I was told until last monday, I've used them before. As soon as my driveline is back in my hands I'll be releasing the keyboard hounds on the offenders lol.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Registered

Still in the works, 25 months and counting but almost there. Waiting on drive u-joint replacement, trim tab diagnosis and final wire tucking.

Found more professionalism by the 1st mechanic (thread subject) who charged and was paid for completing the outdrive/gimbal assemblies, he deleted drive pivot bushings, didn't return an inner transom assembly plate to me, deleted bellows hose clamps, didn't install any trim senders, left 1 bolt off of drive trim manifold and didn't reinstall the zinc, didn't tighten the drive trim hoses to said manifold and didn't install the port driveshaft bellow ring. Also, he didn't return steering rack bolts nor drive pivot caps nor 2 motor mount keeper plates nor 2 exhaust y-pipe gaskets nor 2 exhaust y-pipe bolts nor an exhaust bellow which I had to repurchase. Also, broke a chunk off a drive skeg and had my vinyl hatch cover leaning against something in the shop that was evidently wet, as I now have a semi-circular pink mold mark on it about 3' in diameter.

Nothing was covered so it's all coated in shop dinge/dust. When mentioning to the mechanic I was told, "If you were so worried about me storing your parts you should have picked them up and stored them yourself until reassembly." Or he can just give a damn about his work, his reputation and his customers to produce a final product equal to or greater than when it arrived!! Typical CRAP Florida Workmanship!

And around this time last year as stated in post #14, I owed $0 but was told to pickup all parts within a month or they'd be auctioned off, without a written and signed agreement at any time of course. That cost me renting a U-haul trailer for about a month to store engines and drives, hatch cover etc. until the current mechanic could begin the re-rig.

After airing my story here (the only place I've done so) and never using the company name; I received an email from them to cease and desist and threats of lawyers. Laughable! Guess they or a friend Google stalked me and found this thread. How pathetic!

Last edited by Tractionless; 05-16-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.