Mercury / Mercruiser supply chain question >

Mercury / Mercruiser supply chain question

Notices

Mercury / Mercruiser supply chain question

Old 03-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mercury / Mercruiser supply chain question

In the past, Merc parts have been very quick to obtain but how about right now? I have heard that Mercury parts come form China like everything else but am not certain. If I am planning to replace my exhaust manifolds and risers in the next year, should I order them now? Any word on how long to receive parts from Merc these days? Thank you!
Old 03-18-2022, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

My thought, if you know you will replace next year buy now anyway, just because of how the cost increases have been happening. Used to be once a year, now its lucky to have the same price for a QTR.
The following users liked this post:
Wally (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
My thought, if you know you will replace next year buy now anyway, just because of how the cost increases have been happening. Used to be once a year, now its lucky to have the same price for a QTR.
Good idea. I will consider this.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
He nailed it right there! With things changing its a circus act with pricing now a days. Normally the place i work for does price adjustments once a year...we have done 5 since Oct! Lead times are all over the place! We work with plastics and PVDF is one of our two main materials we use.....the plastics company has allocated 4000lbs for us for this year....that wont cover our normal production forecasts! So now instead of doing large runs of parts we have shifted to making only what we need for the next two months (we usually made parts for 6-12months out) We even had one of our competitors call and ask if we could sell them some plastic!
The two main holdups for getting this material? First is the demand for EV's....apparently they use this type of plastic in the manufacture of their batteries...second is there's a certain material used in this plastic that's only mined in Mongolia and China!
If you can swing it now...get it now! who knows what the future will bring!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 12:07 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat Ousborne
In the past, Merc parts have been very quick to obtain but how about right now? I have heard that Mercury parts come form China like everything else but am not certain. If I am planning to replace my exhaust manifolds and risers in the next year, should I order them now? Any word on how long to receive parts from Merc these days? Thank you!
if they are small block wet joint msnifolds, they are cast in mexico but the rub is, whoever drew the plans for the manifolds (not risers) fuked up and they don’t mate well with the risers. Merc knows about it but they don’t care.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

FYI Volvo Penta is no better right now mid July for some drives so dont hit rock
Old 03-18-2022, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 647 Likes on 243 Posts

I am a partner is an outboard repair shop (mainly small, old outboards). Last year I had the guys look back at 2020 and order in all of the parts that we used (in addition to what we carried in inventory). We also ordered parts as we typically would. We are doing it again this year. It is quite a bit of cash to tie up, but not having the ability to repair motors AND charge labor would really suck. For the most part things went well last year, but several times we were glad to have the backup parts.

I see the post above on Volvo Penta parts. It took most of the winter for us to get the parts to totally rebuild the 2 DPX drives that I took off the Formula last year. What I hoped would be winter work will now be spring work. I put brand new drives on the Formula, so I will be selling these.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts

What are you looking for or just a general question? Lots of parts are taking forever.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 349 Likes on 133 Posts

I’ve ordered some odd parts from Mercury Racing and received them in very reasonable time. It’s just going to depend on the part.

ordered a motor from Honda 10 months ago…crickets
Old 03-19-2022, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango

I see the post above on Volvo Penta parts. It took most of the winter for us to get the parts to totally rebuild the 2 DPX drives that I took off the Formula last year. What I hoped would be winter work will now be spring work. I put brand new drives on the Formula, so I will be selling these.
Curious on the DPX parts. Are you still able to get gear sets and inner prop shafts? I know the shafts were considered NLA a few years ago, but some old stock was still available. The gear sets, I had been told had old stock depleted and VP wasnt going to make/support them anymore? I had actually looked into/gotten pricing to reverse engineer and cast some DPX pinion gears, as that was always the weak point in mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.