Notices

Engine silent option

Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine silent option

Recently picked up a 1999 29 Scarab. I was told it has engine silencers on it. Can anyone tell me how I turn that on and off?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2022, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to OSO, you will need 9 more posts for permission to post pictures. They don't need to be meaningful.
Then post pictures of your setup (engine compartment, transom and dash) and someone will be able to help
Old 03-28-2022, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
Welcome to OSO, you will need 9 more posts for permission to post pictures. They don't need to be meaningful.
Then post pictures of your setup (engine compartment, transom and dash) and someone will be able to help
ok. I will post some pics.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

It may just have mufflers or it may have Silent Choice exhaust. Silent Choice would have switch on the dash.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyplante (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

If you have Silent Choice, Captain’s Call or similar, it will have a toggle switch on the dash. Last one I had read “open” or “closed”. Lift your engine hatch and look at your exhausts, they have the manifold with pipes going straight out the back through the hull and also pipes diverting downwards to to the bottom of tne sterndrive. That is silent choice/captains call etc…….

If the pipes just go straight out through the transom only, you may still have mufflers fitted which are not switchable. Have a look at the outlets from behind the boat. Are they empty pipes or do they have a larger pipe fitted around them? They may have baffles inside the pipes?

Not sure if Scarab ever used the big mufflers like some Sea Rays had, exhaust came from the manifold and down towards the sides of the boat and into a large round sealed muffler (Looks like a big bucket) then out through the sides of the hull.

Good luck. 🙂

RR
Jimmyplante (03-28-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going through this right now its such a pain
Old 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Not sure if Scarab ever used the big mufflers like some Sea Rays had, exhaust came from the manifold and down towards the sides of the boat and into a large round sealed muffler (Looks like a big bucket) then out through the sides of the hull.RR
They did on singles, of which his 29 could be. He doesnt say.
rak rua (03-31-2022)