Notices

Falling Off The Air Pack?

Old 04-20-2022, 08:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

SC288, please tell’m I (cfm/sb) said hi. : thumbs Thanks ! Been a long time.
The following users liked this post:
SC288 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:23 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SC288
I can put you in touch with my friend who had a 23 WPM, he had the setup dialed in. 598 with a tunnel ram setup, best speed was 126. I am trying to recall but thought there were similarities to the hull design between it and the Warlocks. He had a 1:36 ratio with a 2" Imco shorty running a labbed Bravo. This is an old video of his boat:

https://youtu.be/0XxBiOnYVeU
Wow you're not kidding! Just from that short vid that boat looks hooked up and sounds amazing! Def wouldn't mind hearing about his setup.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
I went for years thinking my Warlock had, what felt like in the boat, a porpoise right at top end. A bit unsettling running mid 80's. Couple weeks back I was watching this vid taken by my friends and had it on full screen on my lap top. Starting at the 5 minute mark you can watch the spray retreating to the stern and then disappearing completely. It is at that point the tunnel appears to dump the air pack and the boat falls azz first back into the water and at that speed quickly repeats the process. Going frame by frame it's easy to see. Man what kind of speed did I leave on the table by slamming the brakes on like this. lol That said, my prop shaft centerline is 1 5/8" below the lowest point on my sponsons. Is it possible the Bravo 1 is causing too much stern lift causing this at speed? Plan is to hang an SCX upper with maybe a 1" shorty SC and run a Max 5 ST. Does this sound like I'd be moving in the right direction?
deep - it sounds like pretty typical 'porpoising'. Tunnel hulls are quite susceptible to porpoising, particularly at the 'hump transition' speed. It does sound, however, that your experience is at a higher velocity than expected for your boat. There's several things that can be done to reduce the susceptibility to porpoising... check out article on 'Porpoising' here.
(Other articles on tunnel hull performance here: https://aeromarineresearch.com/perfo..._articles.html)

/jim

The following users liked this post:
the deep (06-29-2022)