Mercury Racing 500R in testing, and within a year of being released >

Mercury Racing 500R in testing, and within a year of being released

Notices

Mercury Racing 500R in testing, and within a year of being released

Old 06-27-2023, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
Don't base pricing on what the guy at the bar with the gold chains on is bragging about how much he paid for his new big offshore boat, as that number quite often gets bigger the more cocktails are downed.
My experience is that, in general, the gold chain guys prefer v-bottoms. If they do buy a cat, Douglas Marine Corporation is not their manufacturer of choice.

I think Pete has made a similar observation, by the way.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:37 AM
Registered

Getting back to my original post that has caused so much controversy, I stand by my words that if a guy has enough cash to go buy a new 440X/500R rig on a tilt trailer from Randy, he certainly could go buy himself a new 438/1100 rig on a tilt trailer from Tony/Pete.
That it is certainly good news of for those of us who would much rather buy a rig from Pete than from Randy.

However, the manufacturing economies of scale and efficiencies that Mercury Racing can achieve in outboard engine production combined with the much simpler installation and rigging for the boat builder using outboard engines imply that there is a rather large bag of money that either goes into Mercury's pockets or into MTI's pockets if pricing of the rigs is similar.

The only exception to that logic would be if Mercury Racing were to accept much lower margin on the QC4V products than on outboard products, with the expectation that the QC4V product will return every 200-300 running hours and generate $70000 rebuild revenue every time, while the outboard will never be seen again once it has left the factory doors and will generate much lower parts revenues during its lifetime.
The following users liked this post:
Plowtownmissile (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
Not worth the complexity of having two models with only a 10% horsepower difference.

300-400-500 is reasonable.

175-200-225-250 was way too tight.
I agree, and they seem to have production capacity or supply limits, how far back were they?
Old 06-27-2023, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I agree, and they seem to have production capacity or supply limits, how far back were they?
Don't fall in the Bidenomics trap. There were and are very few "supply constraints" other than completely natural things like limits to what a factory can produce.

What happened was that Mercury launched an outstanding product and ensured adequate production capacity based on decades of experience of manufacturing and selling engines.

Then the American economy was flooded with monetary stimulus from the Fed and with fiscal stimulus from the government. That money had to be spent on something. Boats, crypto currency, etc.

Naturally, there were not enough outboard engines to go around. And shortages of lots of other things, mostly driven by too high demand and not by too high supply.

Inflation was the result.
Plowtownmissile (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SKammeraad
also curious where youre finding this insurance numbers at 2500-5000 a month. if thats the case than i need to talk to some of my carriers because they are totally missing the market
I was quoted 27K for with my past ownership and experience. The quote for a "no cat experience owner" was mid 50K. These came from WIA which who I have my boats insured thru currently. The new 500s on a 360 is coming back in the high twenties as well. There is definitely an opportunity available for someone to underwrite this market.

Joe
Old 06-27-2023, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 97 Posts

What would make you think a 438 hull would cost double what a 388 hull cost Joe? I'm not understanding why you would post something you know is not true. If you were quoted $1M for a new 388/1100 package, why would a 438/1100 package be $500k more? Everything is equal except for the jump up two sizes in model, which is only about $200k more. I know you're pushing "everything outboard" now for some reason, but don't post things that aren't true about the inboard boats. I'd also like to know what insurance carrier is charging $60,000.00 per year for insurance on a new 43' cat w/ 1100s, because that number is unheard of in the 25 years I've been involved in the sport. Getting back to my original post that has caused so much controversy, I stand by my words that if a guy has enough cash to go buy a new 440X/500R rig on a tilt trailer from Randy, he certainly could go buy himself a new 438/1100 rig on a tilt trailer from Tony/Pete.
Dale,

I was at dinner with Pete and Tony in key West and I mentioned that I would love to own Rockette, Tony asked if I was serious and I said yes. We then got up, walked over the owner who was 3 tables away and Tony presented him with the idea of selling it. The owner politely responded "shes not for sale". We went back to our table and breifly talked about the new project that he has going on and then I posed the question (how much would I be looking at to duplicate his rig?). The response was probably around 1.5. That boat does have 1350 so maybe that makes it considerably more but either way its out of my league to maintain and insure.

Joe
hogie roll (06-27-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEROG
Dale,

I was at dinner with Pete and Tony in key West and I mentioned that I would love to own Rockette, Tony asked if I was serious and I said yes. We then got up, walked over the owner who was 3 tables away and Tony presented him with the idea of selling it. The owner politely responded "shes not for sale". We went back to our table and breifly talked about the new project that he has going on and then I posed the question (how much would I be looking at to duplicate his rig?). The response was probably around 1.5. That boat does have 1350 so maybe that makes it considerably more but either way its out of my league to maintain and insure.

Joe
I priced a 50 skater in 2021 1350's flat trailer no paint was 1Mil.... apparently the last 2 years everything has jumped 20-30%?
Old 06-28-2023, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEROG
I was quoted 27K for with my past ownership and experience. The quote for a "no cat experience owner" was mid 50K. These came from WIA which who I have my boats insured thru currently. The new 500s on a 360 is coming back in the high twenties as well. There is definitely an opportunity available for someone to underwrite this market.

Joe
Was paying $6200 for my 2008 46 Skater 160 MPH 1350's(insurance asked and you need to be transparent) may to october season that was 2020-2021
Old 06-28-2023, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SKammeraad
also curious where youre finding this insurance numbers at 2500-5000 a month. if thats the case than i need to talk to some of my carriers because they are totally missing the market
Im guessing they will be bringing a 450 to the non racing side, using the new V10 platform?
Old 07-01-2023, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi!

Its seems to that the 450R is not part of the product line any more. So now its 300-400-500Rīs.

Have anyone testet the 400R against the 450R?

Cheeers Toffen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.