Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ever thought of renting out your boat? >

Ever thought of renting out your boat?

Notices

Ever thought of renting out your boat?

Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 301 Likes on 144 Posts

What do you think you could pull a day? Up here around CT and the Hamptons, 60-70ft Pershing’s and Sunseeker type boats are bringing around $10k for a day charter. I wouldn’t think those type of charter clients would bat an eye at $5k a day for a go fast experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by 302Sport:
carnutsx2 (05-04-2022), PROP STAR (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 621 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
What do you think you could pull a day? Up here around CT and the Hamptons, 60-70ft Pershing’s and Sunseeker type boats are bringing around $10k for a day charter. I wouldn’t think those type of charter clients would bat an eye at $5k a day for a go fast experience.
if it needed to go to east coast it would be way more than 10k. like i said not going to be for everyone but you never know
Old 05-04-2022, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by apex svt
Not a chance.

Rental charges would have to be astronomical for it to work.

Funny reading this thread from a guy who’s afraid of a bag of Cheetos
True that, just bored i guess
Old 05-05-2022, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 527 Likes on 212 Posts

Have you ever taken a close look at the condition of Rental boats that have been in service for a while? Now If I had a Capt. License and a 46' or bigger Post, Viking, etc and me behind the helm. Possibly. But a offshore performance boat? N.F.W.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

From a different perspective…..…

If you were considering buying a performance boat and found out it had been in charter/rental use, would you view the boat differently to one that had only been used by it’s owner?

RR
Old 05-05-2022, 12:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua

If you were considering buying a performance boat and found out it had been in charter/rental use, would you view the boat differently to one that had only been used by it’s owner?

RR
Thats a really good point,

i looked at a 52' Sunseeker years ago and it had been used as a rental which turned me off right away
The following 2 users liked this post by H20 Toie:
hogie roll (05-05-2022), rak rua (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua

RR
it all comes down to price, if it was a little rough but 75% off of retail.... I'm at least going to look.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,425 Likes on 795 Posts

If I had the money to do something like that, I think I would have a OB V-hull made with conservative power like 300r's. Purpose build it, nothing fancy and then why not.

The charge would have to be high as he$$ to pay and be profitable.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

No way would I rent but I would consider a charter as long as you know who the captain is. People would pay good money to spend a day out on your boat but I wouldn't let them drive it unless you are hovering over them making sure they dont blow an engine or drive. I'll throw this out there. If some rich guy wants to charter your boat for lets say a poker run and you cant make it. Call me and Ill go drive your boat for you because Im just so damn nice I would do that for you. Ill take them anywhere they want to go as long as its on their dime....
Old 05-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

I think the risk vs. reward equation is different for everyone. The problem that I see with renting out a performance/offshore boat is that if it abused while is under a rental contract, the damage may not show up for some time. That, and look at the hassle you will have to go though to ensure it's in good working order once it's returned to you. You will have to launch, run, then retrieve, then clean the boat.

Then there is the insurance issue as well.
(There is a current lawsuit out in the wild right now for a guy who dropped his manual transmission vehicle off at a DEALERSHIP for an oil change. A dealership employee started the car, it lurched as it was in gear; and killed another dealership employee. The owner of the CAR is being sued for it.)

You may rent it only with a "qualified captain" to operate the boat. But what's to stop the renter from lining his pocket to beat the piss out of it? Are you going to hold the captain liable for damage?

As long as you can come up with a price that someone is willing to pay, and you are willing to accept for all those risks; so as you see a financial reward; give it a shot.

There are all kinds of new markets out there for "sharing" goods. You know there is an "AirBNB model" to rent out your backyard pool now? https://swimply.com/ Yeah, no thanks.
The following users liked this post:
1Zoom (05-05-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.