Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ever thought of renting out your boat? >

Ever thought of renting out your boat?

Notices

Ever thought of renting out your boat?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Interesting concept considering it's a Cigarette boat and the company is marketing the "Cigarette Lifestyle" this could work with wealthy experience seekers.. With a knowledgeable captain operating the boat why not ? Big sport fishing boats are owned and rented out more than the owner using them. Probably would be cheaper for the customer to fly to your location vs towing the boat to the customer plus that would give you more oversite.
Yes insurance is a consideration and a waiver that is useless would be necessary and yes eventually someone may do something that's not allowed but you should be prepared for those situations going into the charter business.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

There are 2 sources of recent rental info for you............Stu from FPC bought a 50 Sunseeker to rent with a captain to clients as a booze cruise deal or poker run rental (Matt Truilio did a story on it). The other guy was on here, he had a Skater and then bought a 35-38 Statement CC for a rental in S. Florida. He bought the right boat (CC, lots of room) and it was a triple OB so maintenance should have been minimal.

I/O boat I think you are going to find a small market (small cockpit/no shade/limited uses) but 20+ years ago a guy rented a straight bottom TG with a bimini top out of Miami Beach Marina.
This was the boat at the 4 second mark:

Old 05-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I think the risk vs. reward equation is different for everyone. The problem that I see with renting out a performance/offshore boat is that if it abused while is under a rental contract, the damage may not show up for some time.

There are all kinds of new markets out there for "sharing" goods. You know there is an "AirBNB model" to rent out your backyard pool now? https://swimply.com/ Yeah, no thanks.

TURO rents cars/trucks directly from the owner to whoever signs up. They have some pretty wild stuff available in certain markets.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:49 AM
Registered

55 Sunseeker for $200 an hour, up to 10 guests (plus fuel/capt)
https://www.getmyboat.com/trips/8K5pbyDY/?currency=USD

I'd rather rent this for a day than a go fast especially in no wake zone heavy areas. Divided per person this could be reasonable. Go 1/2 day rental and get dropped off at a waterfront restaurant for drinks/lunch then uber home.......nice day on the water in a cool boat.

https://www.getmyboat.com/trips/5Yry0O3a/?currency=USD
This is an older Formula 280SS converted to OB's............looks pretty cool and $137 an hour is reasonable

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 05-05-2022 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

There was a guy (he was a member here) that had a yellow cafe (it was or is for sale) that did just this. Rented his boat out, he'd captain and take groups out, I believe in Florida. Don't know the pricing. Don't know why he stopped, but he did.

I was approached on three separate occasions to "rent out" our Top Gun. One was to be used in an episode of The Mentalist. Think I got a grand to bring it out and have it parked on a studio lot for the day while I hung out and watched. The other was Brittney Spears handler contacted me to take her and a couple friends out to the islands for the day. The other was a rep for Dr. Dre (the rapper) and his wife. The wife wanted to take him out for his birthday. Went back and forth with both working out details, in the end Spears went out on a sail boat in Marina Del Rey for the day and Dre's wife ended up taking him to the bahamas or something. However, for both the agreed price was roughly 10k for the day or 5k for half a day.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Wasn't the big Nortech Lady Lisa rented out?...I vaguely remember it being offered during the Key West weekend maybe?
Old 05-05-2022, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
TURO rents cars/trucks directly from the owner to whoever signs up. They have some pretty wild stuff available in certain markets.
So does Hagerty Insurance https://driveshare.com/
Old 05-05-2022, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You would have to really not care about your boat .
Everyone would drive it like they stole it , you`be rebuilding engines and drive quite often I`d imagine.
I totally agree with this!
Old 05-05-2022, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 432 Likes on 195 Posts

You wouldn’t rent out your wife would you or go to a whore house to find a wife.

The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
You wouldn’t rent out your wife would you or go to a whore house to find a wife.
Hummm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.