Notices

Tres Martin course

Old 08-07-2022, 08:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Tres Martin course

Man I’m pumped… was looking at his calendar a couple of days ago only to realize he’s going to be at LOTO in late August. Spoke with him today and will be signing up for a course when he’s in town.

I’ll be doing the 75-125 course likely. Really looking forward to getting behind the wheel with his instruction. Only owned my boat since last season and not a ton of hours / seat time.

question for the group, what can I expect during the 1:1time? Would love to get a handle and better control of the chine walk I experience in my 27 Fountain for one.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 336 Likes on 132 Posts

Day 1 is all engineering and class room time. Pay attention closely because it will make what you learn in day 2 make much more sense. (This is understated because you will be tested on it and he will make sure you completely understand before you move on.)

Day 2, he will first show you what your boat can do. Then help instruct you in safely getting you to be proficient in handling and again safety maneuvers should the need arise. It is all about safety.... A person who handles there boat in a safe and steady manor, understanding how it should ride and handle in certain conditions will always be the best driver out there.

The best advise I can give you is go into it with an open mind and act like you are a beginner. This will absolutely help you in breaking any bad habit you may have as well as make things go smoother in the testing once you learn the correct way of doing settings, maneuvers, etc. Your paying him to teach you the correct way, not you teach him your habits....

Personally, I feel it was the best money I ever spent.
The following 3 users liked this post by bajaholic:
540Fever (08-08-2022), H20 Toie (08-09-2022), J-Bonz (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the reply! The good news, I feel I am a beginner so there is no ego coming into the training.

What you said is exactly what I’m looking to accomplish out of the training. Can’t wait man!
Old 08-09-2022, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Be open, ask a lot.

Had some unfortunate issues with his class because he wasn't clear and we should have asked more. So if you have question speak up
Old 08-10-2022, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah, I understand he doesn't actually let you drive a boat in class.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
he let us drive ours.

In short our issue wasn't with me but I had also signed my fiancée up. She was with him alone and he asked "want to go to 30mph, 40mph, 50mph, etc etc.... she said".

At 50 she was like "do I have to?" and he said no and she thought ok cool and they carried on. Nothing was said to her. Nothing was said to me. We go to get our certificates in the mail and only mine came. He flunked her and said nothing, really got under my skin as his classes are not cheap and he should have had the balls to speak up of "if you don't do this we can't pass you".

So after some back and forth with his office the compromise was she was rated as a driver insured up to 50mph which still was B.S but better than nothing as she rarely was going to drive.

For some context to the only boat she ever drove was a 20' jet boat prior to the class for my 35 twin engine sonic and she was in her 20's at the time of the class He did have her do a great job spinning in the marina on the sticks. Got to give him that and he did fine with me too..
Old 08-10-2022, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Unless something has changed since I took the course, the 2nd day is all you in your boat. He drives it, then turns it over to you to learn the proper way to do what he did. Makes no sense for you not to drive a boat, that is the whole point of the class. Maybe.... Someone expected for them to supply a boat? You use your own boat. Each person in the class goes through it, without the others tagging along. So depending upon the skill etc, it could be an hour, could be 3 hours to pass.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 1,427 Posts

its a 2 day course ? whats the price
Old 08-10-2022, 05:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
its a 2 day course ? whats the price
2 days. As said day 1 is class setting day 2 is water in your own boat

Mine was a few years ago. So price could change and was $2700 for me and her with a $500 discount plus lunch boat days on me.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:53 PM
Registered

https://www.performanceboatschool.com/courses/

There is usually a "deal" available that includes a Life Line Jacket and a wrist loop for kill switch. Give them a call, there is other costs involved if you are a single person class compared to if you join a class that is already available.

Last edited by bajaholic; 08-10-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.