Boat Purchase Payment Question >

Boat Purchase Payment Question

Notices

Boat Purchase Payment Question

Old 08-29-2022, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I recently bought an RV, person to person sale, and was able to do a wire transfer for the entire purchase via my laptop and the online banking portal. This was with Bank of America.

The best way is with a Wire Transfer. Talk directly to your bank manager, and you should be able to make it work. Different banks have different policies. But if you set up the entire wire transfer in person ahead of time, and then call your bank branch, and talk with the same branch manager, there should be no reason you can't tell them "GO" over the phone, and they send the transfer. You can perhaps even do it with FaceTime for additional bank assurance. Their policies are to protect you, but sometimes they really get in the way.
The seller will be able to see the money IN his account within 20 minutes or so.

I once traveled overnight by train with $26K in cash on my person to buy a truck, and I was a nervous wreck the whole time. It was not one of my smarter moves.
I've also done multiple wire transfers online via Chase.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (08-30-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a bunch of life jackets, one of them is hollowed out and full of cash for transactions like these. I'm broke now but at one time I had over 50k in the life jacket. No one ever wanted to wear it.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (09-07-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:20 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Find a national bank with branches near you and near the seller. Open an account and deposit the 30k. If the deal goes through you can get the money out when you pick up the boat, if it doesn't just close the account.
5k is too much of a deposit for an unseen boat. If I saw the boat and paperwork in person and knew for certain I was buying it but needed a few weeks to coordinate the sale / transportation etc. then I'd offer the 5k.