Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Talon 37 Hustler IMPRESSIVE!! >

Talon 37 Hustler IMPRESSIVE!!

Notices

Talon 37 Hustler IMPRESSIVE!!

Old 09-19-2022, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Swigeneris with 820s did 135 with 1.5 gears. The boat beat 41 apaches in key west. and ruled the class.
The following users liked this post:
HuskerPerformance (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,152 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerPerformance
Anything associated with the name Saris deserves attention and respect. I briefly met your dad a few times when he was running the 32 Pro stock Skater Stylin back in the 90s. We were maintaining 2X World Champ Chuck Nue’s Insanity Shadow Cat out of my shop in NJ. Anytime your Dad had a chance to make a race, especially in Point Pleasant, he was a class act all around. We always looked forward to the competition. It’s great to see his expertise and legacy handed down to his son(s).

The 377 Talon ran surprisingly good in the rough, better than I expected, and the water was as advertised! As for a throttleman, Im OLD but still good. Lol. I believe with the right massaging, with a revised deck and transom it could compete with the lightweight twin outboard catamarans that are so popular today. Agree with you on the 25 and 22 also.

I encourage everyone to check out the link below for a great video by Jonny Saris at his shop. Very informative and it’s perfect example of passing on a trade to the next generation! Highly recommend watching the entire clip.

https://youtu.be/ww7cmLdLKec
Appreciate that, I'm always jealous of the good old days!
Old 09-19-2022, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=HuskerPerformance;4845296]Wow, I would like to thank you for keeping this thread alive. I figured after my last post it would fizzle out!

A Few Comments:
  1. The Gone Again incident was in Saint Petersburg Florida not Key West
  2. This thread was conceived to showcase the Hustler Talon 377 (with a pod) from a pleasure perspective, not as a race boat. It highlights the quick plane, no porpoise no hop characteristics compared to true tunnels. Personally a boat that porpoises at lower speeds bothers me and is unnerving to passengers at times. In addition the pod allows for a deep cabin area.
  3. Quote “..Raceboats had the center pad removed and worked better, but still didn’t perform as well as the Skaters..”. Since being an OG who was very active in the success of various offshore race teams and very familiar with this hull design in the 90’s I felt compelled to clarify and confirm this statement. I believe I presented evidence in previous posts that supports the contrary.
  4. Rough water capability (with pod): I confirmed this personally 4 weeks ago in 3 to 5 footers. How much weight does this evaluation carry? Please consider I formally owned a High Performance Marine Center and was a Douglas Marine Dealer and Offshore Racer among other disciplines.
  5. Quote “..can’t keep up with the Skaters..” let’s leave this to another thread where we can discuss the pluses and minuses of those brands invited.
  6. I am interested in a pleasure version with pod. I’m already committed to a race team who will campaign a one of a kind former US1 and World Champion 40’ Skater and also a 46’ Skater that has be dubbed the most successful offshore race boat in history. In which organization or in a shootout venue has yet to be determined.
  7. With only 8 (estimated not verified) race boats built compared to hundreds by Douglas Marine the hull never gained popularity. The more boats you have out there the more R&D. Peter Hledin will attest to that. The hull was outlawed by APBA due to minimum length after a number of successful years. I’m not interested in building hulls, I am raising brand awareness the hull deserves. Hustler construction is proven Race Quality. I would like them to take a look at updating the deck to a pleasure/outboard modification to compete with the MTIs, Skaters, Doug Wrights etc out there.
  8. This thread alone has sparked at least (2) possible private sales. John Teague evidently sees its potential.

You must be talking about 46 Bacardi Silver
Old 09-19-2022, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 533 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by NWfreerider
Is Husker trying to revive the boat and start making them? That is what it seems like to me based on the comments.
That's what I thought also. LOL
Did this guy just acquire the molds?
Anyhow it is nice he is drumming them up, been an informative read on them.
Smarty (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 275 Likes on 136 Posts
Thumbs up Bacardi

[quote=SLINGSHOT;4845447]
Originally Posted by HuskerPerformance
Wow, I would like to thank you for keeping this thread alive. I figured after my last post it would fizzle out!

A Few Comments:
  1. The Gone Again incident was in Saint Petersburg Florida not Key West
  2. This thread was conceived to showcase the Hustler Talon 377 (with a pod) from a pleasure perspective, not as a race boat. It highlights the quick plane, no porpoise no hop characteristics compared to true tunnels. Personally a boat that porpoises at lower speeds bothers me and is unnerving to passengers at times. In addition the pod allows for a deep cabin area.
  3. Quote “..Raceboats had the center pad removed and worked better, but still didn’t perform as well as the Skaters..”. Since being an OG who was very active in the success of various offshore race teams and very familiar with this hull design in the 90’s I felt compelled to clarify and confirm this statement. I believe I presented evidence in previous posts that supports the contrary.
  4. Rough water capability (with pod): I confirmed this personally 4 weeks ago in 3 to 5 footers. How much weight does this evaluation carry? Please consider I formally owned a High Performance Marine Center and was a Douglas Marine Dealer and Offshore Racer among other disciplines.
  5. Quote “..can’t keep up with the Skaters..” let’s leave this to another thread where we can discuss the pluses and minuses of those brands invited.
  6. I am interested in a pleasure version with pod. I’m already committed to a race team who will campaign a one of a kind former US1 and World Champion 40’ Skater and also a 46’ Skater that has be dubbed the most successful offshore race boat in history. In which organization or in a shootout venue has yet to be determined.
  7. With only 8 (estimated not verified) race boats built compared to hundreds by Douglas Marine the hull never gained popularity. The more boats you have out there the more R&D. Peter Hledin will attest to that. The hull was outlawed by APBA due to minimum length after a number of successful years. I’m not interested in building hulls, I am raising brand awareness the hull deserves. Hustler construction is proven Race Quality. I would like them to take a look at updating the deck to a pleasure/outboard modification to compete with the MTIs, Skaters, Doug Wrights etc out there.
  8. This thread alone has sparked at least (2) possible private sales. John Teague evidently sees its potential.

You must be talking about 46 Bacardi Silver

the deep (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=HuskerPerformance;4845517]
Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
I know the boat well
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 838 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by talon37
Swigeneris with 820s did 135 with 1.5 gears. The boat beat 41 apaches in key west. and ruled the class.
I'm certain it did, Rick's 37 Talon ran that speed with Modified Class motors in it. For comparison though, Bob Teague and Paul Whittier's 368 Skater "Amsoil" set the kilo record in Super Cat Light at 131.98 mph with Mercury Racing 525s back in 2008.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:21 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

That was a bad ass record run at 200 feet below sea level on the Salton Sea

Last edited by HuskerPerformance; 09-20-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:11 PM
Registered

Smile Matthew Gordon’s Talon

Matthew Gordon’s 377 Talon 750s BMax running out in the Northeast.

Last edited by HuskerPerformance; 09-20-2022 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HuskerPerformance:
Smarty (09-20-2022), the deep (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:33 PM
Registered

Cool NorCal Talon

The following 2 users liked this post by HuskerPerformance:
Smarty (09-20-2022), the deep (09-21-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.