Employment in marine industry?

Notices

Employment in marine industry?

Old 11-13-2022, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 327 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Employment in marine industry?

Me again,

I’ve really give some thought into trying to find my “ in “ to the marine industry in some way and making a totally different life change and career change. I have great knowledge of older boats and new. Many years of experience wrenching on Mercruiser drives and engines along mercury outboards. I have a great salesman side to me as for selling stuff has never been a issue for me at all boats especially high performance or not. I currently own my own company just finding myself getting more and more burnt out with dealing with workers if they even show up no matter how much I pay them. I would like to find my way into the Boat industry I believe I’ve been considering becoming a surveyor or possible sales maybe even wrenching on them. My biggest problem is being in Tennessee there’s not much for me it seems or maybe one of y’all know something I don’t? Just a guy in his early 30’s wanting to get into something else that my passion for boating and boats are always a topic for me or on my mind.

i guess all my pointless rambling above leads me to the question of where would you start and how?
Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 134 Posts

EVERYONE at LOTO is hiring...
The following 3 users liked this post by bajaholic:
87CigCafe (11-14-2022), Helmwurst (11-14-2022), Mentalpause (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
EVERYONE at LOTO is hiring...
yep , the bad part is you might get $20.00 per hour if you're lucky, probably $15-18 lol

Last edited by boatnt; 11-13-2022 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 327 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Right

Originally Posted by boatnt
yep , the bad part is you might get $20.00 per hour if you're lucky, probably $15-18 lol

yeah that’s kinda what I figured lol. I pay a laborer to hold the laser while digging more than that lol!
Old 11-13-2022, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

I always thought my second act would be learning how to tune better, may as well work for people with money than becoming the expert on 90hp Force outboards.
The following 2 users liked this post by carnutsx2:
87CigCafe (11-14-2022), tommymonza (11-13-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 809 Likes on 456 Posts

There is more (potential) income in sales than turning wrenches - only kicker is that you would be paid your commission AFTER the boat goes down the road and not when the contract is signed (Winters are long)

Second thing to ponder, if you are looking at management or turning wrenches, in prime season, you have no life other than your job as there isn't enough quality workers or the marina has the reputation that the line-up waiting is building by the day....

that said, it could be very different in today's cancel culture.
87CigCafe (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

As the industry moves to outboard power there probably would be a learning curve and various manufacturer certifications you would need before you could get hired as a service tech./mechanic.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 272 Likes on 137 Posts

So my opinion on the matter....

My dad has been a marine mechanic since before I was alive and of course I wanted to follow in dad's footsteps. I was officially in the marine mechanic world for 8 years and these are the things I learned....

1. The money compared to other jobs in my area is garbage. My dad is still in the industry as a wrench and he just recently broke 30 bucks an hour and has been doing it for 40+ years.
2. I quickly realized that because of the money all of the cool go fast boats that I would want would NEVER be attainable working in the industry.
3. People are frickin nasty. You have no idea how gross some people are until you have to work on their cabin cruiser they use for a vacation cottage essentially. More times than I can count I would have to shower and change my clothes before I would even think of climbing in my personal vehicle or my house.
4. When you work on boats all day everyday the last thing you want to imagine is being around a boat after you finally get done working for the day. Really turned me off from something that has been a passion and dream since I was a kid and that is owning a boat. Didn't even want to look at one after work which I assume would be the same as a car mechanic that gets asked to change their mother in laws brakes after work hahaha
5. Linked to number 4...you have no idea the amount of "friends" you attain when they learn you "work on boats" you will never make everyone happy and things will happen. A quick "favor" for a friend turns into a nightmare and you are the worst person in the world because their boat is junk. You will gain/lose friends faster than you can imagine.
6. Especially nowadays with staffing issues....if you are a good mechanic that knows what's what you will NOT have a summer life. You will be the one that's always at work because the high school kid that should be working doesn't know a spark plug form a water pump.

Don't get me wrong the industry can be fun and great. I live in a small area and these are just the things that I picked up while I was working in the boat world. If you're willing to move to a big area like Miami or even LOTO I'm sure things would be very different. Moving was not something I wanted to do so I chose to move on to a different career path and now have no greater joy than using my boat and even wrenching on it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
The following 4 users liked this post by BBYSTWY:
87CigCafe (11-14-2022), MonkeySea2 (11-14-2022), Sydwayz (11-14-2022), tommymonza (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

I had a small break in my "professional career" one summer and to fill the void, I did boat deliveries. Driving new boats almost daily for a couple of months wasn't the dream you might think. From prepping the boat, to pre-delivery inspection, to hauling, to delivery, and some boat handling training for the new owners, I did it all. It got old real fast! One thing is these are customer facing jobs and people basically suck. I get it, you are spending a ton of money and you want everything to be perfect, but boats, even new ones are NOT perfect. It was nearly impossible to make the perfect delivery experience. There were always issues, either missed expectations or just bad luck on any given day. I even tried doing basic detailing at the same dealership and some sales and I even had thoughts of co- buying a marina. I knew it was over for me when the weekend rolled around and the last thing I wanted to do was be in my own boat.

At the end of the day, I came to the realization that I wanted to be the one buying the boats and not selling or repairing them.

The marine industry is a tough one. Owning, selling, working, etc. Not many are rich from it that is for sure. A lot of burn out too.
The following 2 users liked this post by techman:
87CigCafe (11-14-2022), thisistank (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 62 Posts

I worked for Marine Max 99ish through 2005 and it was a great experience. Did sales, did all the Baja ordering at that time, became a service manager with them then moved to the auto industry. I'd love to get back into boats but cannot afford to move backwards (as many can't as we get older) financially for the amount of time it takes to get up and going. If I was still in my 20's or even early 30's I'd do it but at 47 I can't justify it. Seeing so many making hand over fist money is awesome but that is the people who have been hustling for a long time usually and have the clientele base.
If you have the opportunity and can financially do it hell do it man and good luck to you! To find an honest wrench in the marine industry is a needle in an haystack. Build a repair center that does what they actually say they will do and deliver it and "they will come".
87CigCafe (11-14-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.