Notices

Boyne Thunder 2023

Old 12-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Boyne Thunder 2023

We have a few months to go, but looking for some boater input. Each year we have a tuff time with group 4 in the Pace Lap.This will be our 20th year, I have been helping for 19 years of it. The Cats have a hard time staying trimmed out at our low starting speed. Last year was a mess. My thoughts are to take the v-bottem's and break them up into 4 groups to put a good show on for the crowd with the parade lap, Then let the Cats leave straight down the lake from Sommerset and not go thru the Parade Lap. Once again, this is not aimed at anyone or is this ment to be a negative post. Just trying to get some input to take to the board. Last year we had some Cats get some speeding tickets on Lake Charlevoix. I want to keep this a safe and fun time. We have to deal with the 55 mph speed limit on Lake Charlevoix so we do not jeopardize our Coast Guard permit for Lake Charlevoix. If you have some thoughts, please feel free to post them up.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm glad to see you're hanging in there with the run. I was afraid that you were done after last year.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I'm glad to see you're hanging in there with the run. I was afraid that you were done after last year.
I was ready to. Still goes back to the 80's when I gave children rides in my Father's old car. Kids at Camp Quality with IV's getting in the car. Challenge Mt and Camp Quality keep me in the game. I do need some help with the Marshal Boats, I hope I can find someone local to help, so I can give them back up. The Street Show has turned into a job by itself. Saturday night they have a great band this year. They put on a great show. Nice to have something special for the 20th Anniversary.
The following 8 users liked this post by BlueOval:
92nsx (12-08-2022), boatfreak (12-07-2022), dykstra (12-08-2022), Pete B (12-07-2022), RSCHAP1 (12-07-2022), RT930turbo (01-09-2023), SC288 (12-11-2022), Stuckonstupid (12-09-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this, but not surprised.

Artie could name the repeat offenders I’m sure- refuse their registrations and sponsorships, this event and its charity is bigger than they are.

This argument is similar to blaming the gun in a murder; 55 is not a problem with boats safely spaced.
The following users liked this post:
BlueOval (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this, but not surprised.

Artie could name the repeat offenders I’m sure- refuse their registrations and sponsorships, this event and its charity is bigger than they are.

This argument is similar to blaming the gun in a murder; 55 is not a problem with boats safely spaced.
The following users liked this post:
check300 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOval
We have a few months to go, but looking for some boater input. Each year we have a tuff time with group 4 in the Pace Lap.This will be our 20th year, I have been helping for 19 years of it. The Cats have a hard time staying trimmed out at our low starting speed. Last year was a mess. My thoughts are to take the v-bottem's and break them up into 4 groups to put a good show on for the crowd with the parade lap, Then let the Cats leave straight down the lake from Sommerset and not go thru the Parade Lap. Once again, this is not aimed at anyone or is this ment to be a negative post. Just trying to get some input to take to the board. Last year we had some Cats get some speeding tickets on Lake Charlevoix. I want to keep this a safe and fun time. We have to deal with the 55 mph speed limit on Lake Charlevoix so we do not jeopardize our Coast Guard permit for Lake Charlevoix. If you have some thoughts, please feel free to post them up.
I like the idea of having the cats Run First, They would be able to get out front and if you ask me it would be a lot safer not having to pass and maneuver around 3 other groups. it would definitely be less congested this way...
Old 12-09-2022, 04:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
I like the idea of having the cats Run First, They would be able to get out front and if you ask me it would be a lot safer not having to pass and maneuver around 3 other groups. it would definitely be less congested this way...

It is cool to see you guys run past the slow guys, except when you passed me few years back in the Detroit river twenty yards off me. I **** myself when you blew past me puttin at 60mph. Probably a lot safer/
Old 12-09-2022, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer

Starting cats first would make no difference. You still going to have 14 miles of 55mph and no wake before you hit the big lake. Its not about boat handling, its not about whether a boat will plane at 5o mph. Its not an arbitrary rule, its the state law on an inland waterway. So its a matter of respect for the law. And if people dont behave, it jeopardizes the ability to get permits You dont get permits who loses?? The sick kids the run benefits. There are other runs all summer , so theres definitely other opportunities to boat that weekend, so the only ones losing are sick kids because people cant keep themselves in check for 15 minutes out of a 4 day event. Is it really that difficult ?

Last edited by phragle; 12-10-2022 at 08:49 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by phragle:
badmonkey (12-09-2022), bigfarmer (12-09-2022), BlueOval (12-12-2022), boatfreak (12-09-2022), Interceptor (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 103 Posts

Looking forward to next year!

I've been running Boyne Thunder since before there were multiple groups and actually helped come up with the idea. But most of the time the pace boats didn't wait long enough between groups and we caught the next group at the channel. I'm guessing it's because once the boats get out of sight they let the next group start even though it's only been 1 or 2 minutes instead of the 5 minutes. Well it takes more than 1 or 2 minutes to slow down and funnel into round lake. So how about look at the raw video footage of how much time it actually takes and figure out a way to spread the groups out better.

How about 5 groups and have all the trouble makers go last. The parade lap is important to the event and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to not only complete it but enjoy putting on a show for everyone. But for some reason if they don't want to do the parade lap they can wait for the rest of us to complete it and file in behind us just like people have had the option to do for years.

Overall the format is awesome. Most people really enjoy how the speed groups are spread out slowest to fastest that way we all get an opportunity to run along side many other boats. It's fun to pass some and awesome to get passed by the others! There's plenty of room on lake Michigan to continue this. I've heard comments about letting the faster boats go first for years and 100% disagree.

As for boats breaking the speed limit on Lake Charlevoix. I have no clue. But I'll keep thinking and I'll also try to think of a good local to take over the Marshall boats for you.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:42 PM
Registered

Our normal goal for each group is to wait until the last boat has passed the green buoy at State Park, then start the next group. It is tough when you get to the Coast Guard Station trying to fit all the boats into the channel. We have held the Cats to the 4th group, tying to think thru safety on Lake Michigan. If we started them first, we might have the Cats coming straight at the last group as they left the channel. I would choice to have the Cats over take someone and go around, not heading into my bow coming at me. That is not a exact science, but has worked good so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.