Notices

Looking for boat ideas

Old 05-03-2023, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dysonrichard801
If you're looking for a well-built boat that is comfortable enough to spend the night on the water and falls within your budget of $50k, there are a few other options that you may want to consider in addition to the brands you mentioned.
  1. Checkmate Boats: The Convincor 300.
  2. Donzi Marine: The 29 ZF.
  3. Powerquest Boats: The 290 Enticer.
  4. Wellcraft Boats: The Scarab 302.
  5. Sea Ray Boats: The 290 Sundancer.
I looked these up I like the checkmate, powerquest and scarab. Donzi is on my list but not in a center console and the Sundancer seems like more of a cruiser, unless I missed something. I know that my requirements are seeming to increase while my budget is staying the same and it's making it near impossible. I'll probably have to increase my budget. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-03-2023, 01:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
If cabin space is needed I am surprised no one has said DONZI 33ZX, wide beam and lots of room. Like others have said SONICS have large cabins as well.

As for rot and issues. Let's face it, 50K and what you are looking for means ALL these brands are old, and all can and will rot.

I bet there are a tons of boats out there with wood rot and people never know because they have not taken them apart yet.
I have my eye on a donzi 33zx right now but it's across the country and a little older. It seems updated and well kept, it's on my short list right now.

Good point about the age and my budget, I'd say you're probably right and wet wood is going to be hard to avoid. As long as it's not anything detectable I'll just have to plan for it in the future.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 217 Posts

Cobalt 343, but you'll need to increase your budget.

The following 3 users liked this post by techman:
Quinlan (05-04-2023), thegoodson (05-03-2023), Wildman_grafix (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Lakeglider,

I'm not a huge fan of the PQ 290 Enticer. I kind of feel it was one of their rare misfires. It's just barely big enough to warrant twins, but it doesn't perform like a twin. With twice the fuel consumption, it falls well short of the performance of the 280, and with damned little more amenity space. My recommendation would be a 280 if you're wanting to stick with a single, or a 330 if you're up for twins.

My dad had a SeaRay 260cc that slept pretty comfortably for such a "small" boat, and it ran pretty well for such a "large" boat. If performance is not on your "must haves", the 290 Sundancer probably can't be beat, as far as amenities and build quality.

As for overnight comfort level, it all depends on how you gage comfort. If you're looking for lodging, performance is probably gonna have to be scratched from your list of priorities. If you're up for camping on a boat, most boats of any real size can accommodate two adults well enough. My wife and I used to stay on our Rinker 236 Sport Cuddy overnight on Saturday night for the PokerRun on Cumberland every year. Our PQ 280 is considerably more comfortable, but still nothing like a real bed.

Everything about a boat is a trade-off. Space for something "here" is lost space for something else "there". We specifically looked for a boat WITHOUT a fridge because we didn't want to sacrifice that space, but we don't overnight much. We are primarily day boaters.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. First let me say that I'm not looking for something as plush as a cabin(cuddy?) cruiser. My 20s are gone and I can't be comfortable curling up on the cockpit bench under the stars anymore. From what I'm seeing the 30-35 cabins are plenty spacious and comfortable. I'm looking for settes on either side for the crew to get out of the sun for a while with a v berth behind it. The bougie part of me wants a microwave, a/c, fridge, tv, etc. for those nights I want to spend on the lake. It's seeming like I need to lower my expectations or change my budget. I think the budget is slowly creeping upward.

I'll check out the PQ 33, I feeling better about 32-35' meeting my needs. Twins isn't a must but it would be REALLY nice.

Honestly, I keep coming back to a Baja 342. There are a couple for sale that meet my needs although out of my price range. I'm not a huge fan of Baja (no shade on Baja) just because of aesthetics I think. Everything else on the list is low slung and sexy but the Baja doesn't seem to have the look that I like. Again, no hate, just not my taste. It's not enough turn me away, just enough to be hesitant.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

The 31’ sonic I had was a good ride in rough Lake Michigan water. The build quality seemed very good also. They are available with all the amenities you are wanting too. The seats in the cabin have a panel that pulls out from under the V birth to create a nice size bed too.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

The Velocity's can take a beating and hold up well and are a light and efficient hull. I get about 3mpg at 55mph in my 280 and I've had it out in 8' waves, it's real solid. My wife and I spent the night in it and I'm 6'3", it was tight but I'd do it again. For what you want I would look at the 32 Velocity.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
To add to the list:

303 Formula SR-1.
311 Formula FASTech.
They are definitely on the list, thanks
Old 05-03-2023, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
34 Superboat would be on my shortlist but I don’t know anything about the cabin.

Thanks, I'll definitely check these out
Old 05-03-2023, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
Cobalt 343, but you'll need to increase your budget.
This is cool but yeah, a little out of budget. There's also a 293 that's more in range. I'll keep an eye on these, thanks for the suggestion.
techman (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ttuton
The 31’ sonic I had was a good ride in rough Lake Michigan water. The build quality seemed very good also. They are available with all the amenities you are wanting too. The seats in the cabin have a panel that pulls out from under the V birth to create a nice size bed too.
Sonic is definitely on the list, I really like their cabins from what I've seen. If I can find one that's equipped I will go see it in person. Thanks for the review, it's nice to hear from an actual owner on them
ttuton (05-04-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.