Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital >

Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital

Notices

Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital

Old 07-25-2023, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
A lot of that, in my opinion, also comes with how comfortable people have become with very fast boats. Just a general lack of respect for how lethal 70mph+ is on the water. CCs now running over 80mph. Pontoons too. No real seating. Nothing to hold anyone in. Just a really fast party. Let's face it, for the most part having more people in your boat rarely makes anything safer. More distractions for the captain, more people egging him on, more people, more people, more people...
At the 1000 islands run last week, the only boat that cut me off was a big CC. At least 6-7 people on board and not one really paying attention. Just enjoying their 70mph party. Im in no way comparing that to this accident and in no way am I trying to speculate on what happened. Just seems to be a trend in our sport. Cram as many people in your boat as you can and make sure its on social media.
Im very glad this accident wasn't worse for those involved and wish everybody a speedy recovery.
I had never said it out loud til now but the new center consoles are the new booze cruisers. Nobody is buying them from former offshore builders to go fishing and they aren't convenient to even get in/out of the water to swim. They are literally just bigger faster pontoons to cruise in with a bunch of people and made perfect for bar hopping.
The following 5 users liked this post by Plowtownmissile:
1983ScarabIII (07-25-2023), cheech (07-25-2023), CT River Baja (07-26-2023), fountain4play (07-25-2023), HuskerPerformance (08-01-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 349 Likes on 133 Posts

I personally think LOTO is one of the tougher lakes to navigate at night. On one hand you can see shore and docks pretty well because of all the dock lights, but on the other hand it's hard to see other boats coming at you or going away with dinky little navigation lights because they blend in with the 8000 dock lights, porch lights, white landscape lights, etc. There are a lot of distractions. Either way night driving is something I enjoy.

I know that its hard as hell to see what is actually on the water with a couple big ass screens in your face and a bunch of distractions. When I'm heading to dinner on LOTO or anywhere I make a point on the way there in daylight to draw a clear path on my map away from points, islands, docks so that I have a good path to follow on my way home when it is dark. I dim my screen all the way down, turn my gauges off, and look at the shoreline and water. I'll even toss a t shirt over my chart and just glance at it when I need to reference my path. Staring at the chart is useless, radar isn't going to help you at speed to a small craft....night vision is pretty slick and clear but you still are staring at a bright screen and when you look at the water you have to react.

Its still a challenge even if you are running the speed limit, not distracted, and not drunk. I'm sure living on the lake and being out several times a week it is easy to get comfortable and complacent.

I heard 2 of these people are in a bad way. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

The following 3 users liked this post by DRAG:
CT River Baja (07-26-2023), fountain4play (07-25-2023), madflavors26 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 338 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
I had never said it out loud til now but the new center consoles are the new booze cruisers. Nobody is buying them from former offshore builders to go fishing and they aren't convenient to even get in/out of the water to swim. They are literally just bigger faster pontoons to cruise in with a bunch of people and made perfect for bar hopping.
This fits in parallels with the gun control argument. It is NOT the machine or tool, it is the person who is using it!

At some point, people must accept responsibility for their actions, both good and bad. No one controls the decision that is made, but themselves...
The following 9 users liked this post by bajaholic:
1983ScarabIII (07-25-2023), 350scarab (07-28-2023), Dave M (08-01-2023), fountain4play (07-25-2023), Griff (07-25-2023), LAriverratt (07-25-2023), Mentalpause (07-26-2023), mutt2jeff (07-25-2023), Wally (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 521 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
This fits in parallels with the gun control argument. It is NOT the machine or tool, it is the person who is using it!

At some point, people must accept responsibility for their actions, both good and bad. No one controls the decision that is made, but themselves...
Spot on!!!
Old 07-25-2023, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG

I heard 2 of these people are in a bad way. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
I can only imagine, who knows the speed they were going since that much mass moving takes a while to stop but think about it, not like they were strapped into a car.

The boat hit the rocks and sent it flying into the house, just THAT impact alone had to be a huge jolt even IF you were strapped in, then it bounces off and rolls over throwing anyone in out, unless they flew out in the first hit.

I can not think how much hitting something solid with your body even at 20 mph what it would feel like.

Hope they all recover.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 349 Likes on 133 Posts

Hard to say how fast they were going. That boat in particular is very fast, but I don't think that crash is as fast as it looks.

How many times have you been out on LOTO at night and someone is really hauling ass ? Honestly I really can't recall. I've been scooting along at 28 and someone goes by me but...maybe 35. I really can't recall seeing anyone ripping through at 50, 70 or whatever. I'm sure it happens.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:19 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
Personally having a house and boating at the lake since 2000, lighting wasn't the cause. It was driving intoxicated, running too fast (at night) and not knowing the lake. For a good portion of the lake especially between the dam and say 19mm there's way too much shore lighting, which make night time boating a challenge.
I did NOT say lack of lighting was the cause. I said some of the locals say 3 accidents have happened at that spot.

Lack of lights was NOT likely the cause. However, the addition of lights may well have prevented the accident. If that was MY house, and it had the mentioned history, it would look like an aircraft carrier lit up at night. At least along the shore.

I know many of the victims well. It's been a gut wrenching few days. They are never far from my thoughts as my day goes on.
The following users liked this post:
KEYS DISEASE (07-29-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 982 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I did NOT say lack of lighting was the cause. I said some of the locals say 3 accidents have happened at that spot.

Lack of lights was NOT likely the cause. However, the addition of lights may well have prevented the accident. If that was MY house, and it had the mentioned history, it would look like an aircraft carrier lit up at night. At least along the shore.
This^^^^^

In reference to speed, there was a Porsche 911 that had a similar wreck in a gated community recently. The car literally "cartwheeled" off an oak tree landing on the roof of the house. The pictures were insane, guy wasn't hurt but may have had Jack Daniels behind the wheel. It looked like you hung the car there with a crane. The house damage looks like the Nortech hit the breakwater/seawall and then the house rolling to a stop.

With all the people on the boat (some locals) I can't believe nobody said lets slow this down....... I was just on a 39 Contender (night boating) and I got off the first chance I had, dash/tower/cockpit lit up, music blaring and even with FLIR I didn't love the vibe going on. Guy owned the boat for years, was a competent captain but it still took him 2 passes to get to the dock due to the current.
The following users liked this post:
AmiableDave (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How much faster than the 30 mph night speed limit, on Lake of the Ozarks, would you need to be going to launch this boat more than 50 feet, and hit the roof of a house ?
The following 4 users liked this post by climax102:
CT River Baja (07-26-2023), Mentalpause (07-26-2023), Plowtownmissile (07-25-2023), underpsi68 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 530 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
Hard to say how fast they were going. That boat in particular is very fast, but I don't think that crash is as fast as it looks.

How many times have you been out on LOTO at night and someone is really hauling ass ? Honestly I really can't recall. I've been scooting along at 28 and someone goes by me but...maybe 35. I really can't recall seeing anyone ripping through at 50, 70 or whatever. I'm sure it happens.
Definitely all speculation.
That house appears pretty close to the water.
But, for a boat that heavy to make it that far with that much damage to the house, if it was ONLY going 35 or 40 even, I'll be astonished.
The following 5 users liked this post by cheech:
CT River Baja (07-26-2023), DRAG (07-25-2023), Mentalpause (07-26-2023), Plowtownmissile (07-25-2023), underpsi68 (07-25-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.