Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital >

Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital

Notices

Bad wreck at the 1.3MM LOTO-8 to the hospital

Old 07-25-2023, 10:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Will the engine computers show the speed just like a car computer? I would assume the water patrol will impound the boat for inspection.,,
Old 07-25-2023, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

I don’t think they were goikg that fast. As flat as that point is it would have cleared it if they were flying. It didn’t go that far actually. You could see where it hit the bank and the bow went up hit corner of the roof and cam down on the deck and rolled over. That’s a lot of momentum even at 30 mph.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 247 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by techman

I'm also shocked at the amount of weed consumption going on the water these days. Ever since it became legal to buy it seems that every raft up or cove hangout smells like a Grateful Dead concert. What happened to the joy of the natural high you get off of BBC or two stroke gas fumes?.
yep, same at the lakes I boat on,

The following 3 users liked this post by boatnt:
1983ScarabIII (07-25-2023), davidmercury (01-23-2024), techman (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
This fits in parallels with the gun control argument. It is NOT the machine or tool, it is the person who is using it!

At some point, people must accept responsibility for their actions, both good and bad. No one controls the decision that is made, but themselves...
I agree but I'm not wrong either.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

For those who haven't boated on LOTO at night, I'll throw in a personal experience from when I owned a place on the lake there.
Got asked to do the stereo shootout at Camden on the Lake one year. Wife and I had been drinking water all day and we left after dark to head to our place at the 21MM. There are lights everywhere on the main channel (houses, docks, boats, etc). About half way home doing 25mph with tabs down and both of us looking out, we about parked our boat on the back of a big cruiser plowing down the main channel at 5mph. The navigation light on top looked like a white light out in the distance due to it being dim and high mounted. I literally saw the people in the back of the cruiser when I jerked the wheel to the left and narrowly missed them. Normally you feel wakes at night so you know where to expect boats to be at but we'd come up directly behind them. It was the biggest "oh ****" moment I've ever had boating.
The following 3 users liked this post by Plowtownmissile:
DRAG (07-25-2023), Helmwurst (07-26-2023), regalman4925 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 833 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by 253
Will the engine computers show the speed just like a car computer? I would assume the water patrol will impound the boat for inspection.,,
In answer to your question, and as knowledge for all those that run newer engines with ECUs, YES, they can pull up run history from the ECUs on the motors, even after being submerged under water (which wasn't the case this time). The run history (rpm, throttle settings, trim settings) of the motors is stored in the ECUs and can be downloaded for legal purposes.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 833 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
For those who haven't boated on LOTO at night, I'll throw in a personal experience from when I owned a place on the lake there.
Got asked to do the stereo shootout at Camden on the Lake one year. Wife and I had been drinking water all day and we left after dark to head to our place at the 21MM. There are lights everywhere on the main channel (houses, docks, boats, etc). About half way home doing 25mph with tabs down and both of us looking out, we about parked our boat on the back of a big cruiser plowing down the main channel at 5mph. The navigation light on top looked like a white light out in the distance due to it being dim and high mounted. I literally saw the people in the back of the cruiser when I jerked the wheel to the left and narrowly missed them. Normally you feel wakes at night so you know where to expect boats to be at but we'd come up directly behind them. It was the biggest "oh ****" moment I've ever had boating.
That's why I always get back into my 5 zone by dark. I don't want to be the guy running over or getting run over at night, because they're both so easy to do. I used to run my 28 Skaters at 100+ in the dark when I was 30 years old, but not any more! There was a 17 year old girl killed and 5 others injured in Cape Cod when they hit a jetty at night this same past weekend. These nighttime accidents are becoming commonplace unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
CT River Baja (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Definitely all speculation.
That house appears pretty close to the water.
But, for a boat that heavy to make it that far with that much damage to the house, if it was ONLY going 35 or 40 even, I'll be astonished.
The house is closer to the water than most and is on a point that sticks out a bit. My neighbor at the lake believes he witnessed the boat going by at a high rate of speed as they were just leaving Docknockers which is a Bar/Restaurant about a mile and half from where the boat hit the seawall. His comment was that a boat was flying down the lake and glad they weren't close to it. Within minutes afterwards the Water Patrol (WP) were racing to the scene. I'm sure the WP will look at the GPS and it will show how fast they were actually going when they hit the seawall.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 338 Likes on 133 Posts

I tried to copy video from FB, It wont let me post link, but.... FB and add:
of property and boat

Last edited by bajaholic; 07-25-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
Hard to say how fast they were going. That boat in particular is very fast, but I don't think that crash is as fast as it looks.

How many times have you been out on LOTO at night and someone is really hauling ass ? Honestly I really can't recall. I've been scooting along at 28 and someone goes by me but...maybe 35. I really can't recall seeing anyone ripping through at 50, 70 or whatever. I'm sure it happens.
While we don't go out as much at night there are occasions where you'll see someone running fast. Most of the time it's after a fireworks show which they have all the time down their and people try and get in front of the group. With the new outboards you can only rely on seeing them and not hearing them since they run so quietly. Running to the dam has always been an area where boats go faster at night than around the bars and restaurants. It was just back in 2019 that a speeding boat with a drunk driver plowed into a cruiser killing Jason Russell in the same area of the lake. They didn't find him for a day or so afterwards. A 390 Nor-Tech with Quads weighs roughly 17K lbs, which is a lot of weight and momentum. I'd guess they were definitely going way north of 30 mph. How fast will be determined what the WP releases to the public and they always usually do after a crash investigation.

Last edited by fountain4play; 07-25-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.