Notices

Who has a second boat?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I'd sell my house in a heartbeat!!
You should Air BNB it (or whatever it's called), actually F that, the dooche bags would trash it.
Yea i was going to put it into charter but after talking with the original owner a month ago for a few hours that cruised it for 15 years and 4200 hours he strongly discouraged it . it swings 24 inch props with a 2.32 reduction and he said with all that windage if you get around a dock in some wind or current you have to get super aggressive with the throttles even with it having a extra powerful 24 volt bowthruster.

I really need to sell it as i have a pretty penny into it and i could triple my money if i sell it. But its just so nice to have a practical boat with all new or newer systems, so the Plan is repair the glass damage than move it up to northern Mississippi for a year into a covered freshwater dock where it wont rot away like in florida and decide from there .

If i keep it than in 3years i would like to go down through the Panama canal than up the West coast to Puget Sound to Alaska.
The following 5 users liked this post by tommymonza:
dykstra (08-31-2023), ICDEDPPL (08-24-2023), Indy (08-25-2023), Knot 4 Me (08-25-2023), the deep (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

So long as you can keep them inside when they aren't being used.... We've had a 33 Cabrio in the slip for years... Bought a Sonic 31SS and started using it more and more now with it being just the 2 of us... 3 boys all growed up. We used the Larson 2 or 3 times all season last year... then it needs buffed.. then it needs cleaned.. then it needs... wtf... it's been inside since...

95 175 SEA RAY working for dealer bought new in 1995. Traded in for next boat after going on lake Michigan.
88 268 Slickcraft had this boat for about 15 years and sold it to my brother. First time caught in a storm. Hit bottom in 20' of water.
97 270 Larson because this boat was WAY better in almost every aspect except for the acoustics... Room for all 5 of us for trips. First time I owned 2 boats.
96 17 Unlimited.... completely redid the entire boat.. 69mph with a duoprop! even blanked entire dash to make all custom.. 3 boats now
89 310 Slickcraft found inside a storage building being repo'd after sitting for over 10 years... 4 boats.. and about 200 hours getting carried away redesigning stuff.. sold 270 3 boats again
04 330 Cabrio Bought it and THEN realized Lindenhurst was an island... first 12' wide cross country adventure. Best acoustics of any boat so far and 1.4mpg after stroking the MPIS 4 boats...
94 230 Conquest bought for the engine... decided to rebuild it.. First 70mph boat. Ugliest swim platform until redesign. 5 boats 4 a minute... sold this one right away 4 boats
02 26 Prowler with the purdy blue 500HP engine. Fall came and realized possibly too many boats 5 now. sold 268 and 310 3 boats
96 Sonic 31 SS 67 to 88 and went the wrong way with MPG. 88mph can run about 90 minutes... 140 gallons. 4 boats sold prowler back to 3
04 24 Cobalt 4 boats... sold the U-boat 3 boats now.
97 Sonic 31 SS future poker run boat.... emphasis on future... maybe someone elses future... 4 boats
03 220 Pantera an inland lake boat 5 boats now
82 C&C Landfall First blown boat. 6 boats
00 280 Velocity First blower boat. 7 boats now. New ugliest swim platform ever.... Soon to be redesigned.

Really wanna sell the 330 but still hoping to find a way to do the loop first... 3' draft and 9' bridge height .. 400+ range and super comfortable.

The winner by a long shot is the 96 31 SS. It might not be unsinkable... but it sure seems unbreakable.
The following users liked this post:
Indy (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Text me so we can trade pictures of the CC’s …. Gull Lake Boat show is tomorrow - you wouldn’t believe the hardware

We had “Torpedo” out last night

320-420-7175

MDS
Old 08-25-2023, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

29 Kryptonite 700 HP Whipple
30 Extreem 590 HP
21 Donzi GT 415 HP
19 center counsel 4 banger
32 wellcraft 2 -350'
jet ski
I use them all for different reasons.
The following 3 users liked this post by TYPHOON:
dykstra (08-31-2023), Indy (08-25-2023), the deep (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
This is a sign that you might be outgrowing your performance boat or the hassles that go with one..
Owned offshore boats for 25 years. The last one was a 38 PQ. Loved it. We got to the point of using the 9ft Inmar RIB to get back to the smaller lakes around our area. Ended up talking ourselves into selling the PQ. Bought a 21 Hydra Sport, then a 14ft RIB with a 50 hp Merc on it. The Center Console sets in the yard most of the time. The RIB is just simple to use and we live across the street from the small ramp. No one is ever in our way. We can be floating in 5 minutes. Loved the PQ, really do not miss it. We still hit several of the smaller lakes, but spend most of the time on Lake Charlevoix. I don't believe we out grew the big boat, but maybe the hassles that came with it. The yard looks like a used boat dealer. LOL, 21 Hydra Sport, 15ft Boston Whaler, 14ft Caribe RIB, Yamaha Wave runner and a 9ft Inmar. And it is easier to service all those boats in the fall then one go fast. I stand flat footed to service all of them, not upside down with my wife holding onto my ankles.

Last edited by BlueOval; 08-25-2023 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueOval:
Indy (08-25-2023), Interceptor (08-26-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

"I use them all for different reasons."

43 Schiada - Merc 860 x 2
39 Tiara Coupe - Volvo IPS
24 Schiada - BoostPower Compound blower motor
21 Malibu V Drive
Sea Doo GTX
Zodiac - 15 Merc OB - on the back of the Tiara

I try to justify my addiction by explaining "boats are like shoes, they all serve a different purpose" lol

We live on an inland lake, and Malibu and my wife's Sea Doo sit on lifts next to the dock. The lake is a madhouse on the weekends; I grew up there and can't imagine selling the home so we use the Mbu as a cocktail cruiser during the week and my wife blasts around on the 'Doo on the rare weekends we spend at home.

We wanted to expand our horizons; Mi is blessed with inland lakes and rivers and I'd always heard about Schiada's build process, which is literally "what do you want, how do you want it, how much power do you want, and how long are you willing to wait for it?". We ended up buying Lee's personal ride and it's an heirloom boat; capped, billet hardware, BoostPower compound blower motor, parquet bilge floor, etc. The only problem is I always laughed at people who have trailer queens and now I'm that guy...with the other boats I just don't use her as much as I want to, but I can't imagine parting with her. My kids are afraid my will is going to specify I'm buried in her.

We decided we wanted to start taking advantage of Lk MI and I wasn't old enough for a cruiser & neither of us wanted to deal with the small cockpit and "cave" of a v-berth that's the reality of most performance boats. I called Lee and asked him about a boat we'd seen on the trip out to talk about a 24. We flew back out to CA and our "test drive" was 14 of us in the cockpit and an 80 mph run to Catalina Island and back. There's more room down below than I had in my first dorm room; over 6' of headroom, AC, pump out head, sink, fridge. The only "hitch" in the deal was Lee had already committed to pull an Aussie in the Catalina Ski Race so he had to borrow the boat...but I got to ride along. If you haven't heard of the Catalina race, or ski racing in general (especially the Bridge to Bridge race) do yourself a favor and check it out.

We tried hard to use the 43 like a motor home and traveled by water a few times from Grand Haven to Petoskey, spending time at ports in between, but we got tired of MI weather - wind, rain, fog - and the challenges of an open boat...our last trip bounced us from port to port trying to stay ahead of nasty weather. No Joy.

So we bought the Tiara. I never thought I'd be a candidate for an "old man" cruiser, but I have to admit, the civilized amenities have us spending more time on the water - or in port in our "cottage" - than I thought possible. Now, we spend pretty much every weekend on the Tiara in Northern MI , do a couple of trips per season, use the dinghy in every port, run the 43 a few times a year for special occasions, and would really like to do the Catalina race again a couple times before I'm too old.

Cheers...this has been a great thread, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my addiction, and there are guys with a lot more boats than we have lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slippery:
BBYSTWY (08-29-2023), Plowtownmissile (08-31-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

Primary boat, secondary boat, plus a pontoon and two jet skies - keeps us on the water with options.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marginmn:
dykstra (08-31-2023), ICDEDPPL (08-30-2023), larslindroth (09-05-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
This is a sign that you might be outgrowing your performance boat or the hassles that go with one.

For me, the idea of a second boat made me take a real look at my Fountain and how we use or didn't use it. By all means if you can swing the two boat household, go for it. But you may find that your boating lifestyle is changing.
I disagree to an extent. It’s two different purposes. Like having a daily driver and a sports car. I’m kicking around the same idea because I have three little kids and the Fountain isn’t an ideal boat for tubing and skiing. I haven’t outgrown my Fountain, but it’s not as practical for an every weekend boat with the family.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
This is exactly the response I was hoping for. Nail on the head right there....been getting so down about my project taking so long that it has really turned me off of the whole thing lately honestly and I truly believe that having the second boat will(for lack of a better term) put the wind back in my sails to get her done.

My boating style has NOT changed at all and nothing will ever pull me away from obnoxious fuel burning screaming big blocks but as has been said in several posts....that and the stress of that can get old using it as a daily driven boat.

Thanks for all of the replies!! Sealed the deal for me just have to make the deal and go from there...will report back when and if it goes through!!
looking at an open now myself or potentially a decent sized OB pontoon. I really like those SeaRsys and can fit probably 8-10 comfortably.
The following users liked this post:
BBYSTWY (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

We have the Cigarette and a Nautique. We love wakesurfing and water sports just as much as we do powering through the chop with the Cigarette. Only problem is deciding which to do when.

The following 7 users liked this post by enzo thecat:
dykstra (08-31-2023), hogie roll (09-05-2023), ICDEDPPL (08-29-2023), KAAMA (08-30-2023), larslindroth (09-05-2023), Lucky Strike Jr (08-30-2023), Tiki Joe (08-30-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.