Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need advice on old school power boats >

Need advice on old school power boats

Notices

Need advice on old school power boats

Old 10-07-2023, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts

I’ve spent most of my life boating in that class, size and style of boats.

Of your list, I’d second guess the 245 Chris.
Cool looking boat but not built so well.

I sold boats for a dealer in that era and they built some crap.

So styling of ‘89 but not necasarily build quality.

Agreed on the 24’ Formulas.
I really like the older, flat windshield era too.

The Checkmate suggestion is s good one as well.
Some here will poo poo them but I have had great luck w/mine.

Currently have a ‘86 25’ twin OB.

Sold a ‘95 25’ IO boat s couple yrs back was gorgeous.

A very clean one just came up in the high $20’s which is about right.

I never did your budget, which determines everything in this dumb ass hobby!

Another consideration is your home water conditions.

The 265 Seebolds came be made stupid fast but have a wide pad which limits them in the rough.

Brads suggestion of the 236 Rinker is also a great one.
(and way up the scale on bang vs bucks)

We had a large Rinker dealer that sold a ton of them and many w/decent power and never heard of probs.

The fastest were into the low 70’s w/502’s.

Singles in that size range makes a ton of since unless you like pulling motors to do much of anything!
Due to space.

Build quality will surface if/when you add power, and/or play in big water.

There has been a gazillion stories on here where someone bought mid level (quality n performance) boats then tried to make them into a sport boat.

Almost all failed miserably and most had twice in them, than they sold them for.
(after 3 yrs of agony)

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 10-07-2023 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
larslindroth (10-07-2023), Vice (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 06:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 652 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
not sure where you boat at?

but checkout checkmates.

Checkmate Community Forums (checkmate-boats.com)
Well...there you go! Now THAT is one well-maintained boat. Of course, even one like that can hide major problems.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 652 Likes on 306 Posts

Vice, where do you plan on doing most of your boating at?

Like many others on here, I have been into boating for now some...45?...years? I have helped many people get into the sport, seen many good and bad boats, have worked on many projects...all that. There are going to be fewer and fewer boats available in your preference. Why? They are just not out there, many have simply rotted away. Not to go down that long list of what-to-look-for insofar as damage goes, but ANYTHING wood can and in most cases WILL have deteriorated on boats of this vintage. As many of the posts to this thread have referenced, this forum abounds with the trials and tribulations of people who have thought they could re-hab an older boat, make it into the boat of their dreams. Some actually have, but at a tremendous cost in time and money. So you are wise to want to find that turn-key boat that will give you many years of pleasure with little expenditure. And there have been some great responses and examples of nice boats available. Good luck with your search, hopefully you will find that perfect boat and post up some pics here soon.
Vice (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I’ve spent most of my life boating in that class, size and style of boats.

Of your list, I’d second guess the 245 Chris.
Cool looking boat but not built so well.

I sold boats for a dealer in that era and they built some crap.

So styling of ‘89 but not necasarily build quality.

Agreed on the 24’ Formulas.
I really like the older, flat windshield era too.

The Checkmate suggestion is s good one as well.
Some here will poo poo them but I have had great luck w/mine.

Currently have a ‘86 25’ twin OB.

Sold a ‘95 25’ IO boat s couple yrs back was gorgeous.

A very clean one just came up in the high $20’s which is about right.

I never did your budget, which determines everything in this dumb ass hobby!

Another consideration is your home water conditions.

The 265 Seebolds came be made stupid fast but have a wide pad which limits them in the rough.

Brads suggestion of the 236 Rinker is also a great one.
(and way up the scale on bang vs bucks)

We had a large Rinker dealer that sold a ton of them and many w/decent power and never heard of probs.

The fastest were into the low 70’s w/502’s.

Singles in that size range makes a ton of since unless you like pulling motors to do much of anything!
Due to space.

Build quality will surface if/when you add power, and/or play in big water.

There has been a gazillion stories on here where someone bought mid level (quality n performance) boats then tried to make them into a sport boat.

Almost all failed miserably and most had twice in them, than they sold them for.
(after 3 yrs of agony)

Shame to hear about the build quality of the Chris Craft's because to your point (and I fully agree) they're super sharp looking boats. Damn things looks like they're going 200 mph sitting still.

I live in CT, which is nice because we not only have lots of lakes but we've also got the Long Island sound, and the entire coast. My first year or so in anything I get, will be spent taking it easy and learning "that" boat. Once I get more comfortable I can venture out, but easy does it at first. The last time I operated a boat was back in the early 2000's when I lived in Florida for a minute.

All my buddies on the job had boats and I would routinely help them launch & drive their boats up & down the intercoastal waterways. I even spent a good deal of time on a very cool live-a-board sailboat. I just love being on the water and I've always wanted a boat of my own. I know they're expensive and I know they can be draining but you can't take it with you, and I don't live with a seatbelt on or wrapped in bubble wrap.

I bought an 89 IMP Eleganza 255 a while back that was really beautiful with lots of potential but in the end, a lack of resources, and a lack of good people guiding me (along with some other personal issues) brought that to a screeching halt. Just got done getting rid of her recently and I'm still in mourning.

That's partly why I don't want a twin, you can't believe how difficult it is to find a matching set of drop-in's that aren't beat to crap. Buying new is just ungodly expensive, and everything with twins.....is twice the headache. Twice the amount of things that could go wrong, much more gas, just much more of everything. All of my boat buddies here in CT tell me you don't need a monster power boat for the amount of "real-world" boating you'll realistically be doing.

All you twin guys, please don't pounce and destroy me here, not knocking twin powered boats, just not something I'm comfortable getting into at the moment.

I don't need anything crazy fast, my motorcycles satisfy that itch just fine. I just want something long enough to accommodate the ex's, the kids, and the grandkids (no, not all at once necessarily) on the weekends.

21 to 23 footers are fine but a bit too cramped, 28 footers and above are a bit more than what I need.

I hear what everyone is saying about the Rinker's and I'll keep them in mind, but if I'm being honest, the Formulas, Baha's and Wellcraft's really speak to me, something about their body lines.

Anyway thanks for all the great advice and please keep it coming, there's lots I still need to learn, and you guys are a terrific source of information, it's all much appreciated.

Last edited by Vice; 10-07-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaman
Vice, where do you plan on doing most of your boating at?

Like many others on here, I have been into boating for now some...45?...years? I have helped many people get into the sport, seen many good and bad boats, have worked on many projects...all that. There are going to be fewer and fewer boats available in your preference. Why? They are just not out there, many have simply rotted away. Not to go down that long list of what-to-look-for insofar as damage goes, but ANYTHING wood can and in most cases WILL have deteriorated on boats of this vintage. As many of the posts to this thread have referenced, this forum abounds with the trials and tribulations of people who have thought they could re-hab an older boat, make it into the boat of their dreams. Some actually have, but at a tremendous cost in time and money. So you are wise to want to find that turn-key boat that will give you many years of pleasure with little expenditure. And there have been some great responses and examples of nice boats available. Good luck with your search, hopefully you will find that perfect boat and post up some pics here soon.
Everything you're saying makes perfect sense, but here's my respectful reply.

I've lost count of all the rare barn finds I've found over the last 40+ years of cars that were decades old still in damn near mint condition, and just like cars, there are those rare, older boats that have also been very well maintained that aren't falling apart or silently rotting away.

Lets be honest, most people buy boats, get in the water, get hammered, beat the ever loving snot out of their boat, and wind up giving them away or selling them for nothing years later because they treated them so badly.

But you also have the people that really did pay attention to everything the salesman told them when they bought it, and treated their boats really well and maintained them even better.

They always washed them down after each use, waxed them, winterized & fogged the engine/s properly, covered them whenever not in use, and just in general didn't treat them like the forgotten German Shepard tied to the tree out back.

I know they're rare, but I do see those types of ads about boats, and I know there are some really well preserved ones out there, even if only a small handful.

Yes, water is going to do what water does, but it's not impossible to find something nice, and don't forget about all the boats that have already been refurbished by people, thus saving you/me from having to do it.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's a few ideas.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2018...m-the-nineties
The following 3 users liked this post by WavetoWave:
larslindroth (10-07-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (10-07-2023), Vice (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WavetoWave
Thanks a million, seriously, that's a great resource and there are lots of wicked cool boats listed in there....
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (10-10-2023)