Notices

Battery remote jump box

Old 12-05-2023, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Battery remote jump box

Just bought one and was wondering where you guys mounted yours? My first thought was under the seat but maybe I'm missing a better more convenient location? Also read on another thread to tie the ground directly to the engine block. I was just going to go pos and neg of the battery. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 556 Posts

Location is whats most convenient for you ultimately. Just keep in mind the way you want to use it. If you actually want to jump the engine and start it...then as close to the starter (cable length wise) as possible to keep the resistance low. And yes ground direct to engine in that case.
If you were to try and jump another boat through this then i would go straight to batt pos and engine ground and keep it as short as possible.
Reason for engine ground direct is to keep the circuit as much its own loop as possible....if you go direct to batt posts then the dead battery is trying to charge itself back up (or putting an extra dead cell load on the jumping battery) at the same time you are trying to crank. If you go batt pos and engine ground...the loop being made during the cranking is from the jump box ground to starter then from starter pos to batt pos...then back to jump box...so its sorta bypassing the dead battery and giving the engine as much juice as it can.....if that makes sense..
If you just want to be able to open the hatch AND THEN jump the motor from the dead batt directly, then it doesn't matter where its located and you can wire it direct to the hatch ram wires.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-05-2023, 03:38 PM
Registered

Thanks Wally, I actually do understand your info. I was really just going to use it to open the hatch in case the batteries went dead. It didn't occur to me to just wire into the hydraulic ram. That's why I ask. That may be the new plan. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Thanks Wally, I actually do understand your info. I was really just going to use it to open the hatch in case the batteries went dead. It didn't occur to me to just wire into the hydraulic ram. That's why I ask. That may be the new plan. Thanks for the help.
P@29-,

That's what I did on the Rinker we had before the PQ, except I kinda rigged up my own. I just drilled two holes through the side wall of the structure under the rear seat and ran two bolts through them, with wires connected to them on the blind side. I used two different size bolts so I'd know which was positive. The wires went directly to the hatch lift. Fortunately, I never had to use it.

I don't have to worry about this now, though, with the PQ. I can lift the hatch off the hatch lift by hand. It's heavy as farq, but it isn't hard attached to the lift.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Registered

I paid a ridiculous amount for this and while i wouldn't mount it on the dash im not sure i want to hide it either 😂
Old 12-05-2023, 04:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 653 Likes on 307 Posts

I already have the remote battery posts under the rear bench, so that makes it convenient...
Old 12-05-2023, 04:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
I paid a ridiculous amount for this and while i wouldn't mount it on the dash im not sure i want to hide it either 😂
PQ290,

With its cover on it, it's white with little shiny bits. You could "hide" it in plain sight, and it wouldn't look out of place on a boat.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
PQ290Enticer (12-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My PQ 280 Silencer had jumper posts from the factory (that's what original told me). They were at the rear of the side storage compartment (think it was drivers side). Never would have known...