Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NRE Nelson Racing Engines NEW Marine Engines!!! >

NRE Nelson Racing Engines NEW Marine Engines!!!

Notices

NRE Nelson Racing Engines NEW Marine Engines!!!

Old 02-05-2024, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeBoat4
First time posing here so cant do photos.

LS Engines are nothing new but should be considered for marine use. I have BBC's in other boats, love them, but long in the tooth. Putting my mouth here and saying I have a build in progress with a LS going in a new 28 foot cat now, 4.5 Whipple, Dyno'ed at 1325hp/1160tq on 91 with Holly ECU and over 500 lbs less than any Mercury or BBC.not to mention parts are available anywhere. There are still an old fart or two here on the low doing one offs at the moment. Looked at Nelson but went with Borowski for the LS. You don't have to pay to play big $$ as stated just for an ECU that does everything but scratch your A$$.
Photos after 10 post.
Thanks for sharing! Please start your own thread cause we are going to have a lot to say about you build! And would appreciate updates over the years. Probably would be better in the general Q&A section. That's where most the engine tech talk goes.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Got it thanks,
The build has been in the works for over a year now and should be on the water for testing in April. I have not seen really any actual build threads here in some time. Did not know if anyone would be interested in that stuff anymore. It was a little hard to even find a boat builder that would work with me on this project and just use a Mercury package.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,223 Likes on 679 Posts

Got it thanks,
The build has been in the works for over a year now and should be on the water for testing in April. I have not seen really any actual build threads here in some time. Did not know if anyone would be interested in that stuff anymore. It was a little hard to even find a boat builder that would work with me on this project and just use a Mercury package.
LakeBoat,

I can't speak for everybody, but I would absolutely like to read about your build. I've learned a TON just by reading on this forum.

By all means, start a build thread!

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
dykstra (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

First time posing here so cant do photos.

LS Engines are nothing new but should be considered for marine use. I have BBC's in other boats, love them, but long in the tooth. Putting my mouth here and saying I have a build in progress with a LS going in a new 28 foot cat now, 4.5 Whipple, Dyno'ed at 1325hp/1160tq on 91 with Holly ECU and over 500 lbs less than any Mercury or BBC.not to mention parts are available anywhere. There are still an old fart or two here on the low doing one offs at the moment. Looked at Nelson but went with Borowski for the LS. You don't have to pay to play big $$ as stated just for an ECU that does everything but scratch your A$$.
Photos after 10 post.
I don’t want to be a nay sayer but it just seems like so many guys come into the industry talking about how they have the secret formula for the lsx engines and are going to change the industry. They all come out with a boat that underperforms what they claim and what a similar horsepower big block boat has done over and over for years. They all slip away quietly when the real world numbers come out.

I would love to see it change as that platform is endless.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmmii:
hogie roll (02-06-2024), offshorexcursion (02-05-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 04:09 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
I don’t want to be a nay sayer but it just seems like so many guys come into the industry talking about how they have the secret formula for the lsx engines and are going to change the industry. They all come out with a boat that underperforms what they claim and what a similar horsepower big block boat has done over and over for years. They all slip away quietly when the real world numbers come out.

I would love to see it change as that platform is endless.
I started researching the LS swap in boats about 3 years ago and even started doing one myself. After reading many stories with this exact same outcome you were talking about, and how expensive the exhaust/raw water cooling was going to be, i gave up on the LS swap. Some day I will give it another go around, but I am much less enthusiastic about it as I used to be.

This may have been brought up already, but a big disadvantage to LS over BBC I kept reading about was torque. Boats need torque and a BBC makes more torque than a LS.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

That 1100 hp LS would be badass in a 28 Tuff!
The following 3 users liked this post by Gary C:
Menage_Aqua (02-07-2024), OPS VZLA (02-10-2024), Smarty (02-06-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 10:24 AM
Registered

So which 42' are the 2000hp turbo engines going in? Anyone know?

The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (02-10-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I love how Retter was $hitting on those guys on facebook. Spent 10 years building a turbo motor that went nowhere but hes THE BEST and everything NRE has done he`s been there done that .. lol I think he`s starting to believe his own bull$hit lies.
Those small blocks look so little and cute !

Where else would an alternator go?
Oh, hey Dan!

$hittng on and saying they used an automotive engine trying to market a marine package are two different things. As you know over 50% of the effort of building a marine engine is dressing it and packaging it to stay in a certain envelop size. Then it needs to run through it's paces to make sure cooling packages are effective and nothing needs to be re-engineered.

I've never claimed to be the best, and my stuff has gone places. If you would put your childish vendetta aside you might just see something from time to time.

Last edited by Precision; 02-11-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:49 AM
Registered

Finally someone noticed that the LS isn't dressed in marine trim! Easy to make claims fishing for a test dummy, but totally different to show results.

Come on OSO you complain this site is not what it used to be then we have a good thread and losers on Facebook have better tech talk lol!
Old 02-11-2024, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Finally someone noticed that the LS isn't dressed in marine trim! Easy to make claims fishing for a test dummy, but totally different to show results.

Come on OSO you complain this site is not what it used to be then we have a good thread and losers on Facebook have better tech talk lol!
FB killed this place...unfortunately. Ease of access to the platform could be improved and give it a second wind. But I doubt IB will invest in the app and redesign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.