Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Meet The Performance Powerboats P-280 Catamaran >

Meet The Performance Powerboats P-280 Catamaran

Notices

Meet The Performance Powerboats P-280 Catamaran

Old 04-22-2024, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 94 Posts

These are the same molds. Doug originally designed this river rocket for Rick George who passed away. They were owned by Fat Cat in Texas. Mark (Performance bought the molds) and is building them now. They will be all carbon, twin motors will be in the 350 range and will run 130. The current single will run 110, has no pod, and amazingly does not hop. Testing has only been done with a Max 5 propeller to get these results. Performance will continue to refine the drivability and cockpit layout as they proceed. These hulls are like a driving a big STV.

Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by JPEROG:
IGetWet (04-23-2024), madflavors26 (04-23-2024), Smarty (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Oh. For some reason, I was under the impression that this is a different design.

As someone close to DW, are you able to shed any light on what went on between DW and Performance?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEROG
These are the same molds. Doug originally designed this river rocket for Rick George who passed away. They were owned by Fat Cat in Texas. Mark (Performance bought the molds) and is building them now. They will be all carbon, twin motors will be in the 350 range and will run 130. The current single will run 110, has no pod, and amazingly does not hop. Testing has only been done with a Max 5 propeller to get these results. Performance will continue to refine the drivability and cockpit layout as they proceed. These hulls are like a driving a big STV.

Joe
Sounds Awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Smarty (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 12:09 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
Oh. For some reason, I was under the impression that this is a different design.

As someone close to DW, are you able to shed any light on what went on between DW and Performance?

i am guessing the whole cig cat deal left a bad taste....
Old 04-23-2024, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEROG

Joe
Hey Joe, that's how I have always described the DW designed 28, like a big STV or Mirage - but without a centerpod. I'd definitely describe it as a big, smooth-water boat, not as a small, big-water boat. The setup in a new PB28 that would interest me the most would be w/ a single V10/400R. I've heard nothing but great things about that motor and the boat would be best balanced with a single 750# motor on the back. I think you could get one to run 110 w/ driver only and 100+ with 4 peeps in it. Plenty fast in a 28' lightweight cat and wouldn't break the bank for someone not wanting to buy used. Of course, somebody will probably build one with twin 500Rs on it and go try and prove how fast they can go with it, hopefully not killing themselves in the process. That boat is too small and too light for that kind of power and weight hanging off the back of the transom. I'm really looking forward to the first single V10/400R rig results though!
Old 04-23-2024, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
Thanks, Dale!

This is something I have been wondering since the DW28 came out.

I saw that boat trailered away from B&W a couple of years ago. Had we arrived 5 minutes earlier, I could have asked. I also should have asked you at the poker run this summer, but the glory of Relentless made me forget it.

How is the 24 Skater coming along?
It's too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to Dan, he's such a great guy. 80 years old and still out running around in his 120mph cat! I actually never had a chance to splash the 24, I sold it before I ever got it wet after I bought the 32A with triples. My buddy Brian that moved back to LOTO bought it from me and ran it this past weekend though. He and our buddy Rob ran it up to about 90 the first day out, considering they're at least 500#s combined in the front seats, I'd say it did pretty well! The prop they had was too tall for the weight in the boat and the motor is mounted too low still. I'm confident they'll get low/mid 90s with the two of them and 100+ best when it's all dialed-in. It's a really cool little classic Skater.