Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can some please explain Proper water flow? >

Can some please explain Proper water flow?

Notices

Can some please explain Proper water flow?

Old 06-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can some please explain Proper water flow?

I have a 1994 5.7L mercruiser with alpha drive gen 2. I get a lot of water out the 2 transom ports but very little out the propeller exhaust. Is this proper or is perhaps something about clogged up. I'm not really running hot but I do believe I'm running warmer than it should. Has new thermostat, water pump and impeller. All quicksilver brands. Thank you 😁
Old 06-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts

Why do you think you are running warning? What is the temp of the engine?
Old 06-14-2024, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Why do you think you are running warning? What is the temp of the engine?
I posted my temps in another post. I get a random alarm on occasion that goes away when I idle down. Some responses claim my temps are normal at the following values: After replacing my 140 deg thermostat, My exhaust manifolds and elbows was reading the following temp with ir gun after running 2 miles on the river.
Starboard Manifold - 175/Riser - 115.
Port Manifold - 170/Riser - 104. Temp gauge reading 160. I get tons of water flow out of the 2 holes on the transom but I feel like water flow could be better out the exhaust at my prop. Maybe the water exit at the prop is suppose to be very minimal. I don't know. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the 2 transom ports are actual exhaust or just the elbow discharge and if the exhaust going to the prop is for the actual engine

Last edited by n.shift; 06-14-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

If you’re getting tons of water flow out of the dumps and you’re sure that’s last in line I wouldn’t worry about how much is coming out of the prop, particularly if the dumps are past the temp gauge sensors which they SURELY should be.

Are you SURE you have good flow? Even with new pump and impeller you don’t have any blockage? Transom assembly water hoses are notorious for corroding and causing poor water flow…..

do temps keep building or just plateau at 170?

blockage in your coolers? You can back flush them if needed.
ABSOLUTELY sure it’s a 140 stat? Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve gotten a mismatched part in the box.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts

Is this on the hose or boat in the water?
Old 06-15-2024, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Is this on the hose or boat in the water?
the temps are boat in the water
Old 06-15-2024, 09:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
If you’re getting tons of water flow out of the dumps and you’re sure that’s last in line I wouldn’t worry about how much is coming out of the prop, particularly if the dumps are past the temp gauge sensors which they SURELY should be.

Are you SURE you have good flow? Even with new pump and impeller you don’t have any blockage? Transom assembly water hoses are notorious for corroding and causing poor water flow…..

do temps keep building or just plateau at 170?

blockage in your coolers? You can back flush them if needed.
ABSOLUTELY sure it’s a 140 stat? Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve gotten a mismatched part in the box.
not sure about good circulation but I feel I have plenty coming out of the dumps even on garden hose. But possible I have a blockage that's starting to happen. I ran the boat on the river for about 2 miles, temps went up on the manifolds to the 170's. Ran another 2 miles and they stayed the same. I guess my next order of business is to figure out the where the transom assembly water hose. Are the coolers the elbows? This setup doesn't have risers from the manifolds to the elbows. That's the info I guess I was looking for

Last edited by n.shift; 06-15-2024 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

I was referring to coolers for things like oil, power steering, fuel coolers, etc…..

I forgot this was an alpha so I’m not sure water flow through the Transom Assembly on that model, but I still think it comes up through the transom assembly and likely has a hose that can constrict…..
Old 06-15-2024, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like a non issue to me if you ran 2 miles and temps stayed at 170
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryanw10:
Bondo (06-19-2024), underpsi68 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
Sounds like a non issue to me if you ran 2 miles and temps stayed at 170
it's what I been told by forum members but I still get the random warning alarm. It's a very low sounding alarm that comes on. Not as loud as when you just turn the key on. I'm just trying to understand the water flow through my system so I can just go through it to make sure all is good. But maybe it is fine. As mentioned, I get tons of water out the dumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.