Sporadically  bouncing oil pressure guage >

Sporadically bouncing oil pressure guage

Notices

Sporadically bouncing oil pressure guage

Old 07-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sporadically bouncing oil pressure guage

Hi so I got an 1986 campbell corsair. Lots of work done and is running well . Engine is a 7.4L Gen V with carb. Tonight I noticed occasionally the oil pressure guage would bounce from its usual reading of 38 psi down to 25 .( I honestly have no idea if the 38 psi is an accurate reading to begin with). It's random moments that it bounces down and back up for a split second. Guage and wiring being 38 years old I'm hoping it's a guage or sensor thing. The oil is always at exactly the same level on the dipstick and clean, engine runs smooth . Any ideas? Any easy way to confirm actual oil.pressure or guage accuracy? Thanks!

Last edited by Jase; 07-04-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 245 Likes on 110 Posts

I’m having a similar issue, good question.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jase
Hi so I got an 1986 campbell corsair. Lots of work done and is running well . Engine is a 7.4L Gen V with carb. Tonight I noticed occasionally the oil pressure guage would bounce from its usual reading of 38 psi down to 25 .( I honestly have no idea if the 38 psi is an accurate reading to begin with). It's random moments that it bounces down and back up for a split second. Guage and wiring being 38 years old I'm hoping it's a guage or sensor thing. The oil is always at exactly the same level on the dipstick and clean, engine runs smooth . Any ideas? Any easy way to confirm actual oil.pressure or guage accuracy? Thanks!
Ayuh,...... I agree, probably a loose wiring connection,.....
Old 07-05-2024, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 429 Likes on 257 Posts

Put a mechanical gauge on it to see if it still has the issue. There is a port behind the distributor that you can attach the gauge to. You may have a port also on the port side just above the oil pan near the front inline with front main bearing. I know the Gen 6 does, not a 100% on Gen 5.
Old 07-05-2024, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok 👍 is fuel resistant Teflon the type of thread dressing to use on this deal ?
Old 07-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 60 Posts

try liquid Teflon on the npt .. if your running a plastic tube to the gauge the compression fittings don't need anything
Old 07-05-2024, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 751 Likes on 276 Posts

Lots of defective sensors out there. I’m on my 3rd one in 2 years. First two would jump around erratically, last one acted normal but wouldn’t show more than 40#’s while mechanical showed nearly 80.

The following users liked this post:
SecondWind (07-05-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a small pile of "new" senders I've collected since 2021. And I had one new sender just recently that would do what you were describing. Since covid parts across the board seem to be way less quality.