Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pros & Cons of Conventional Wax vs Ceramic for Boats >

Pros & Cons of Conventional Wax vs Ceramic for Boats

Notices

Pros & Cons of Conventional Wax vs Ceramic for Boats

Old 07-20-2024, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I should give it a go, just seems like a lot of money if it doesn't work out, anyone tried it on an older boat?
Old 07-20-2024, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I love ceramic on my cars and my boat. The meguiars all ceramic lasts longer than the spray hybrid one. But the spray applies much faster.

all in all I’d like to find a better quality wax than I have but the ceramic keeps it clean and shiny much better than everything else. I wash and wax like normal. I clay, compound, polish, wax and then ceramic on top with 2-3 coats for finish protection on my cars.

on the boat I do a compound, polish and ceramic wax or just a wash and hybrid ceramic spray and wipe for maintenance.
a power buffer will transform your world I promise.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

When applied what does the ceramic coating adhere to ? Does it form a compound with the polish, wax or somehow bond to the paint or gelcoat ?
Old 07-21-2024, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 899 Likes on 384 Posts

The guy I take the big boat to every year is coming around to ceramics I think. Been using wizards “sealant” and it’s been good. Doesn’t hurt that the spray stuff smells like bubble gum cause the kids and wife are more prone to use it then.

My Allison was ceramic coated before I bought it. Doesn’t get that dusty, but if my son brings the lawn mower in hot, doesn't clean it first, I see sh!t all
over it. Then just take a hose to it, barely have to use a towel.

think we could use some pics

The following 3 users liked this post by IGetWet:
bencini231 (07-21-2024), seafordguy (07-21-2024), sonicss42 (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 66 Posts

So I’m the guy with P&S Detail Products on this site. Our exact site is thepolishingschool.com

the ceramic coatings make ease of clean up so much easier. It’s a pay me now or pay me later game. Coatings are inorganic and don’t ware off like an organic wax would. Coatings are very resilient to harsh chemicals.

for example- wax your boat and use dawn dish soap to wash and you have waisted it away the wax that is.

ceramic coat your boat and use the dawn dish soap and you are still A ok with not really any harm done. Still don’t recommend that soap. Lol

ceramic coatings are really the way to go. Bite the bullet and do it once, have a much easier time for the next 3 years or so.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 66 Posts

Ceramic coating maintenance is a real thing tho.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Ceramic coating maintenance is a real thing tho.
PrecisionDetails,

Care to elaborate...?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What products do you recommend? What kind of surface prep is needed?
Old 07-22-2024, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 4,805 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I liked ceramic on the sides and wax or other sealers on the top deck.I didnt like how slippery it was and water spots.
SOOOOO much easier to clean the sides with ceramic VS wax.
I didnt do much prep, wipe with alcohol and apply ceramic, wipe off.
Do second coat.
on my vehicles I feel like they get swirl marks much easier with Ceramic. after a year on my truck I have a lot of swirl marks, same with the vette and it`s harder to buff out.
The ultimate protection is PPF film. I love that stuff. Self healing and never scratches.
Those prices have doubled under Comrad Biden unfortunately and it cost more then if I were to just pay to have the paint repainted or fixed. (on vehicles)

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 07-22-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2024, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I liked ceramic on the sides and wax or other sealers on the top deck.I didnt like how slippery it was and water spots.
SOOOOO much easier to clean the sides with ceramic VS wax.
I didnt do much prep, wipe with alcohol and apply ceramic, wipe off.
Do second coat.
on my vehicles I feel like they get swirl marks much easier with Ceramic. after a year on my truck I have a lot of swirl marks, same with the vette and it`s harder to buff out.
The ultimate protection is PPF film. I love that stuff. Self healing and never scratches.
Those prices have doubled under Comrad Biden unfortunately and it cost more then if I were to just pay to have the paint repainted or fixed. (on vehicles)
Dan,

So, you didn't buff or clay bar?

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.