Registered

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Pros & Cons of Conventional Wax vs Ceramic for Boats

What are your thoughts?
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

I have never tried ceramic on any of our boats, so I can't give a true answer on it. I do hand wax ours often and I have never had any issue with cleaning it off after loading on the trailer. Just a little detail spray and every thing wipes off clean, also I have never had an issue with water spotting.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

I think if considering a ceramic job you should consider the cost benefit. A ceramic job absolutely makes sense if your using the boat a lot or if it's on a lift because your going to probably be out same money net net over time, but the ceramic will save you time and look better.
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

My BIL had his boat ceramic coated. He swears by it, saying all he has to do is give it a light wipe down even after being in the water for a few weeks. However, for me, it's too costly. My alternative is Jescar Power Plus w/ceramic. It's a polymer/ceramic sealant that goes on/off easier than regular wax. I'm really impressed at how it protects my black gelcoat from fading. It also does a great job of keeping the top side clean from dirt build up. We both keep our boats in fresh water for weeks at a time.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 877 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
My BIL had his boat ceramic coated. He swears by it, saying all he has to do is give it a light wipe down even after being in the water for a few weeks. However, for me, it's too costly. My alternative is Jescar Power Plus w/ceramic. It's a polymer/ceramic sealant that goes on/off easier than regular wax. I'm really impressed at how it protects my black gelcoat from fading. It also does a great job of keeping the top side clean from dirt build up. We both keep our boats in fresh water for weeks at a time.
MonkeySea,

I was quoted $3500 to do my 28 footer. Yup. Nope. Not gonna happen.

I've considered doing it myself, but when I looked into what all goes into it, the buffing, the claybar... Part of me understands the cost, and I don't really feel like putting the time into it.

I used the Chemical Guys HydroSlick wax/ceramic hybrid. I was really impressed with it, as far as both initial turnout and durable longevity. I'm at least two seasons in, and it still looks really good.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.
Old Today, 03:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have considered it many times but not convinced. We need someone do a patch with and without after the same prep over a period of time.
Old Today, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 802 Likes on 370 Posts

I ceramic coat mine myself with a product from a member here - psdetails

it is far superior to any wax I have ever found. Almost completely eliminates black streaking (my boat sits on lift from May-Sept)

Used the same product on my C8. The water literally beads off even after two years of ownership - I wash the car and just hit it with a leaf blower and the water flies off the car.

just clean the boat well wash on/wash off. It’s so easy.

Old Today, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

What is the product name?

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I ceramic coat mine myself with a product from a member here - psdetails

it is far superior to any wax I have ever found. Almost completely eliminates black streaking (my boat sits on lift from May-Sept)

Used the same product on my C8. The water literally beads off even after two years of ownership - I wash the car and just hit it with a leaf blower and the water flies off the car.

just clean the boat well wash on/wash off. It’s so easy.

Old Today, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
MonkeySea,

I was quoted $3500 to do my 28 footer. Yup. Nope. Not gonna happen.

I've considered doing it myself, but when I looked into what all goes into it, the buffing, the claybar... Part of me understands the cost, and I don't really feel like putting the time into it.

I used the Chemical Guys HydroSlick wax/ceramic hybrid. I was really impressed with it, as far as both initial turnout and durable longevity. I'm at least two seasons in, and it still looks really good.

Thanks. Brad.
I just did my boat with the Hydroslick last month, been using it on my vehicles for a couple years. Curious to see how it does. Put it on my jetski a year before I sold it and it was holding up good.
Old Today, 02:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 802 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What is the product name?
https://psdetailproducts.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.