Notices

Here we go again.

Old 09-27-2024, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 985 Likes on 405 Posts

Just got our power back on in Naples a couple hours ago. I had the a/c cranked down to freezer temps for the whole day before the storm. You had to wear a coat inside . Being on the second floor of a 3 story concrete building we are pretty insulated it never really got unbearable as we didn’t ever open the doors .

I have a window shaker and small generator for just this occasion but it was on the boat keeping it cool and dry while it’s out of the water.
The following 5 users liked this post by tommymonza:
1983ScarabIII (09-29-2024), Padraig (09-27-2024), Plowtownmissile (10-02-2024), Smarty (09-29-2024), TomZ (09-27-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,039 Likes on 386 Posts

Go figure…. My dad’s place is on the Econfina river 22 miles inland from the landfall site just west of Perry. Beautiful setting but old cracker house, went through the eye and the only damage was a fallen oak tree on a detached carport.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hoodoo 2.0:
1983ScarabIII (09-29-2024), Markus (09-29-2024), Plowtownmissile (10-02-2024), tommymonza (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

The flooding on the whole gulf coast is unbelievable, even with the storm 150 miles off shore.

Seeing picture from Asheville NC flooding, chimney rock is wiped clean. This thing was devastating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
Markus (09-29-2024), tommymonza (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 02:49 PM
Registered

Yea I was at my buddies restaurant on the beach in Bonita watching as they were trying to stave the water from entering the recently rebuilt restaurant that almost got completely wiped out by Ian.

At about 6 pm the water came up about 3 feet in 20 minutes and it was futile at that point. Had to leave the parking lot across the street before we were trapped on the beach. Going up there today. Judging by the amount of sand I saw in the parking lot I would guess they have 3 feet inside on the bottom floor.

Salty Sams got 3 feet of water and the owner seems to be losing his Sonny disposition he had from just getting the marina and restaurants up and running again from Ian’s destruction.
Old 09-28-2024, 04:46 PM
Registered

Look up Keaton Beach in the big bend area.
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Yea I was at my buddies restaurant on the beach in Bonita watching as they were trying to stave the water from entering the recently rebuilt restaurant that almost got completely wiped out by Ian.

At about 6 pm the water came up about 3 feet in 20 minutes and it was futile at that point. Had to leave the parking lot across the street before we were trapped on the beach. Going up there today. Judging by the amount of sand I saw in the parking lot I would guess they have 3 feet inside on the bottom floor.

Salty Sams got 3 feet of water and the owner seems to be losing his Sonny disposition he had from just getting the marina and restaurants up and running again from Ian’s destruction.
I assume you are talking about Docs? I have friends about a mile from there on Bonita Beach Rd. They just finished the restoration on their home (from Ian) on the Gulf side & got hit again by the surge. Piled 3 feet of sand against their house, washed out the paver driveway (again) & had almost a foot of water inside.
tommymonza (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
Look up Keaton Beach in the big bend area.
Yep looks like Fort Myers beach 2 years ago tomorrow. It’s not just that area but the flooding going all the way up the coast.

Car insurance will no longer include flood at this point says my wife in the insurance biz.

Old 09-28-2024, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smashm
I assume you are talking about Docs? I have friends about a mile from there on Bonita Beach Rd. They just finished the restoration on their home (from Ian) on the Gulf side & got hit again by the surge. Piled 3 feet of sand against their house, washed out the paver driveway (again) & had almost a foot of water inside.
I just came from there after having the best pizza 🍕 in Sw Florida . I thought the situation was hopeless when I left but my old buddy Billy that owns the Waverunner rental biz showed up with a gas powered trash pump and got inside the restaurant and kept it pumped and dry until after midnight when the water started receding .

It’s a miracle they saved it without any water entering but lots of visqueene plastic and at the last minute we were using plastic trash bags to cover the openings and sand bag over them.

it’s not the first rodeo Back in the day in the 90s and 2000s when I was operating my parasail business out of there we had a few midnight runnings trying to rescue the waverunners on the beach.

The No name storms back in the day would Phuck us up. I can remember waking up one night to it blowing like Hell about 3am as did my room mate who ran the stand for everything.

Nothing like arriving to 12 waverunners all locked together beating around in the surf. We cut them apart with cable cutters and cut them loose so they could wash across the parking lot and across the street.

Good times.
BL6 (09-29-2024)
Old 09-29-2024, 02:52 AM
Registered

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza

The No name storms back in the day...
The storms had names since at least back in the sixties. It is just that nobody was talking about them. Don’t know why that changed.

Let’s hope this is the last one this season.
Old 09-29-2024, 06:52 AM
Registered

They are forecasting another one in the gulf to possibly develop by late next week.
No name storm is a term commonly used around here, it generally refers to a local system that doesn’t necessarily meet the criteria of true tropical systems but still causes severe damage.
March 1993 was the first time I recall hearing the term. We had a late winter low pressure roll through the gulf which gave most of the state a steady 55 mph wind for half the night and all the next day. Then two nights of freezes.
The west wind carried salt spray at least 30 mi inland and burned all the leaves off the west side of citrus trees.
tommymonza (09-29-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.