Notices

Bravo Upgrades...(again)

Old 12-19-2002, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used 2 sets of Bravo 1 HP's upgraded by Randy at Marine Drive in FT. Lauderdale for 2 seasons of racing Factory 2. He upgraded the forward gears and bearing along with a one piece propshaft that cost me about $4000/pair to do from brand new stock. We broke the floor out of the forward gears twice in over 100hrs of racing and testing, I was pleased with that. We ran a 388 Slingshot with 500EFI's. I still have one set with 0hrs after rebuild for sale in the classifides. Clay
Old 12-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

eliminator219
I would order a Bmax in a heart beat if I could afford it. I used to have a job that would pay for the good parts. My present job hardly pays for gas, but we get by one way or another. When I rigged my boat I dont think the Bmax was available. I went with Imco's best at the time. While breaking in the motor a few teeth broke off their extreme forward gear and left me hanging.. And believe me I never applied abusive power to the drive. Well since then I have spent enough to probably buy a Bmax. But each time the drive failed it was not because of abuse, I believe it was assembly that caused the problems. Like I said I will rebuild it this time and hope I get a summer or two out of it. Other wise, I may park the boat until I can afford a Bmax or just sell it and buy that pontoon boat the wife wants.

Dave F
I have seen a drive or two that will hold up to big power when used properly.. and I challenge you to test the limits of your present drives. I guess I like to fly my boat.. and i would love to have a drive that I didnt have to worry about. I baby it out of the hole.. never hammer the throttle, always ease it up to speed. I guess if you can find someone that can assemble them correctly and have had good luck with that builder..then use them by all means. I have not found that builder with out spending tons of money to find out.
I guess my suggestion is to head for XR gears, I have heard they are the strongest at this level. As for better bearings, I think there are limits as to what you can expect from them. If I were going to spend $6k/7k on a drive I would extend the home equity and buy the Bmax.. It has had some problems, but it is a strong unit and will hold up to a lot of power. I just need a couple of years of good luck to bolster the bank account and then maybe I will get a Bmax.. and be done with it.

Dick..
Old 12-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Registered

Default Drives

Richard,

Know where you are coming from on the big money for drives,along with treating them gently. To the guys that have had all the luck with running big power and having no failures, I,m glad for you! A few years ago, when I bought a drive unit from bob teague, for my blown Howard, He told me then" you are going to break a drive, its just a matter of when!"
I, also have had good luck with my present Imcos.At the present time they are in great shape, but why push it? I put them on the shelve.
They are for sale and if I sell them I can deduct what I get for them from the price of the B-maxs and then Maybe it wont be as painful as one would expect,anyway, that is what I'm attempting to do..
However, the best of luck on you rebuilds..

eliminator219
Old 12-20-2002, 06:16 AM
Registered

Dave, with that much HP I would start looking at Speed Masters. With that said, I am doing an XZ upgrade for a member that includes XZ gears, bearing upgrade, my steel tower, and blueprinting the upper ( correcting the upper gear backlash) for $2,000.00. I feel it comes down to how meticulous the builder is and the use the drive sees. But still, 1200HP; damn.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Maxx,

What's the differance between the XZ and the XR gears? The XR is suppose to be the hardend and best that Merc has to offer from what I understand, right?
One of the other upgrades I think is important is the one piece thicker prop shaft. That way I wont loose my prop.

Still exploring all my options. I wont be able to run until May/June anyway by the time I get the motor built, installed and I do all my rigging for the steering and several guages.

DAVE
Old 12-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

Dave, the XZ gears have a thicker floor and use a wider thrust bearing and spacer. The XR gears are the toughest; they are straight cut and use the same bearings as the XZ. An XR upgrade to a standard Bravo 1 requires the use of a special input shaft available from Billet Marine. Plus a steel tower. Labor is the same but the parts are a little more expensive. Mr. Gadgets (Dick Tryce) has a Bravo1 upgraded to an XR.

Last edited by Maxx; 12-21-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:46 PM
40 HUSTLER

Default MAX MACHINE

HEY DUDE DONT GO TO MAX MACHINE I HAD ONE IN A
28 PANTERA WITH A 900HP BLOWER MOTOR AND IT
DIDNT HOLD UP ANY BETTER THAN A STOCK DRIVE
KEPT SENDING IT BACK IT WAS JUNK. SPENT 10.000
ON IT BY THE TIME IT WAS DONE NOW ITS IN PARTS
GOOD LUCK

Old 12-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Whew, they are a little pricey.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

You're the first person I've heard to have a bad story from MMW.
It sounds like they didn't stand behind their work if you wound up spending 10K on the drive.
give more info if you can.

DAVE