Notices

Do You Rack or Trailer?

Old 01-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Both, kinda
We keep the boat on the lift, right behind the house, 20 FT. from the TIKI bar Can't beat watching the NFL Playoffs, and flushing the engine, sipping on a ADULT Malt beverage!!

We also have a trailer for it, ($25/ month to store trailer) that I use for maintanance yearly, and every now and then we take a trip with the Velocity.
MD
Old 01-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Offshore Addiction

I trailer mine because of the step bottom,trailer bunks can be fit to the step,no hi and dry's are willing to cut there bunks for a step boat and that will ruin the bottom!

Old 01-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Offshore Addiction, my buddies and I have three PQ's in dry storage at Marina Shores. BillR designed and built some blocks for his 280 step hull many years ago. They work great on the 340's. We have the fork lift drivers trained to put them on before lifting our boats. They go at the back of the forks under the transom and give the boat just enough lift to relieve the pressure on the bottom edge of the steps.

Dry storage is pretty much my only option since I own a townhouse with no yard and drive a sedan. But it is SO worth it. Especially given all the boating we like to do in the late fall and early spring.

Last edited by Macklin; 01-14-2003 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 345 Likes on 116 Posts

We keep our boat on the trailer at a Regional Park near our home. At $170 per quarter, including ramp fees, I feel that we are getting a great deal. For years i kept a previous boat in rack storage, but it was too easy not to keep it clean and do maintenance

Craig
Old 01-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Offshore Addiction

its hard to get these guys down here to pay that much attention to details,let alone the same guy is there month to month!

Old 01-14-2003, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Rack store 34' Scarab...love it 2500/year indoor year round...20 min. from home...
Old 01-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 100% ramp my boat and always have. I currently have a ramp adjacent to my house which makes it convenient and I'm working on installing a boatlift once my other house expenses are taken care of first. Even if I shelved it I'd still have a trailer on the side for the occasional roadtrips to check out other venues AND, to take advantage of the cheaper gas at the roadside gas station...
Old 01-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I trailer ...

1. Store boat in my yard. Its safe and secure, I can work on it anytime.
2. Many ramps within a 20 mile radius. Cost, between free and $10, usually no wait time.
3. Cheap gas.
4. Visit different locations, The Chesapeake Bay area has countless creeks, rivers, etc.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Reckless 288,
Once you get your boat lift in, you might want to do what I and my neighbors do. I just haul (4) 7 gallon plastic gas jugs down to the local BJ's gas station, and fill'em up. Then I haul them back to the dock! My tank only holds 80 gallons, and if a remember to make a trip or 2 during the week, we are ready to rock by the weekend. For me, this is alot easier than pulling the trailer out of storage, and putting the boat back on the trailer to haul it to gas station!
Just an idea.
MD
Old 01-14-2003, 09:45 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We stored our 25 ft. AT on a rack for the first time last year, loved it, after trailering for 13 years. No ramp stress no trailering problems. Costs $2400.00 a year includes indoor storage all winter. (live in a townhome no garage). The place we use offers service racks and full wash facility. The scenery is great!! We will be using this facility for as long as we can afford it!! Anyone in the Upper chesapeake area should look into this place:

Tomes Landing Marina
Port Deposit , Md.

Quick Reply: Do You Rack or Trailer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.