Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There? >

Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

Notices

Any G.m. Big Wigs Or Zone Reps Out There?

Old 02-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew people that weren't the original owner that got paint jobs. It seemed to have more to do with the VIN # (build date and the plant that built it) 1Boatnut is right, you need to be a little higher up the food chain than a manager to use the will not buy GM anymore. All the 84 Vettes could get new paint jobs if you were in the know back then. Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some what good news, the service manager that I dealt with is no longer there. I will most definetly try. At the most I will try to arrange an inspection with the zone rep & see what they will say. It's just a shame when you take care of something & just goes to crap like that. Whatever happened with "built to last"
Old 02-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

"Built to last" went out when the "tree huggers" got in. Paint is no different than gas, they just don't make it like they use to. Ever read Al Gores book?? WHAT A JOKE!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually you hit it on the head when you said "they don't build paint like they used to". The root cause of this problem and the reason that it applies across the spectrum of manufacturers is legislation related. I don't remember exactly when, but the clean air act or one of it's spinoffs changed allowable proceedures the car makers used in their paint operations. In most cases the problem starts because the primer didn't "stick" properly to begin with due to those new regulations. A body shop manager buddy of mine (gm dealer) damn near retired on the money he made from "delam" paint jobs in '92-'94. It was an assembly line with two shifts working 6 days.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Registered

Was a service director for 25 years. Have my own business now, and no it wasn't with GM. You're going to have a tough time cause of age and second owner. The vehicle is out of warranty by twice the warranty time.

Also, the "I'll never buy GM/FORD/??? again", never really got the customer anywhere with the factory rep. He would tell them he is sorry they feel that way, but the factory is not going to give vehicle pepetial care. I've heard it thousands of times. Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble. But, go ahead a try. You have nothing to loose but your time.

Just my $.02
Old 02-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Appreciate the input. Bucky....that is really interesting on what you said. I'm wondering if there is anyway to get documentation on that?
What is Al's book about? I've never read it.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Like I said paint is like gas. One word Lead. They can't use it any more. I have customers with 20 year Lacaqre(sp) paint jobs (show cars) that still look good. (kept inside). I use to do restorations on muscle cars and Vettes. It got to the point with the new paints that you have to wear air tanks cause the stuff they put in the paints will kill you now. You have to be a chemist now to mix paint at a body shop. Don't use the right amount of reducer or hardners, and the paint doesn't "kick" right. Try and mix different products with out knowing what is compatable and you have a real mess on your hands. Then they (big brother) started to make everyone use HVLP paint guns. And everyone had to learn how to paint all over again. But with the COST of paint supplies HVLP isn't such a bad thing. I don't think the problem was the primer not sticking it was more of a problem with the paint not sticking to the primer. The jobs I have done in the past, I just used a razor blade to strip the paint down to the primer. Then scuffed the primer, added more primer and had no problems. The paint wouldn't feather it would just peel. On some trucks I was just blowing out the door for resale I would run a tape line down the side score the top line of the tape, strip the top part of the truck and paint it. Than run a wide pin stripe over the seam. I am so glad I don't paint cars anymore. Funny thing is I still paint Harleys on my spare time and make more money doing 2 fenders and gas tanks than doing a car. Go figure The funnist thing is these new bikers think that if they don't spend alot of money on a paint job they can't brag about. "More dollars than sence" But that's OK they are happy and I laugh all the way to the bank. Al Bores book Lets just say you would have to wake up an hour earlier everyday so you would have time to pedal to work
Good Luck with your truck
Old 02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL, Thanks for the great input.As just in the entire automotive biz is screwie. People will spend thousands in thier house before a hundred in the car. Know exactly what you mean.