Notices

Major viruses emails....

Old 02-09-2003, 10:21 AM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JM

I have sent close to 1000 spam notices to AOL and have received only two acknowledgements that they received them. The two messages said thank you..blah-blah blah..but were not specific as to which of the spam offenders were acted upon.

I have noticed a great increase in spam and popups since switching from Sprint DSL/Earthlink to AOL broadband.

I get about 20 e-mails a day from junk mailers. It's a true pain in the a$$. Most spam/ad /popup killers don't work with AOL. I have adaware and it works on most but not all popups.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default guess what?

I reported all 3 emails to [email protected] this morning, I will try to get to the bottom of this. The return path were all from the same person [email protected].
Biggus,
Did you look who send you the email? when you open it, but don't open the attachements, click on details, it will give you the retur path. I wonder if it was the same guy

I hate junk mail

JM94

Not a nice way to sart your day, I am going to the mall
Old 02-09-2003, 12:41 PM
bobby daniels

A O L IS BAD ,NORTONS ANTIVIRIUS,AND MAILWASHER WILL CURE THE PROBLEM,BUT MAIL WASHER FREE VERSION WILL SLOW THE SYSTEM ,,,NORTONS IS ALL YOU NEED ,,,AND WJLL PROTECT YOU

Old 02-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Registered

I downloaded mailwasher, but how do I find out what my POP3 is? If it helps, I have email through Yahoo. It also said something about STMP, what is that? THanks.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:53 PM
packinair

I have had AOL since it 1st came out.. you will not hear back from them, they get millions of spam/emial reports a day. most times it is nothing more than a PWS (password stealer) change all your passwords and reseach how to remove PWS worms from either norton or mcafee. getting this is not uncommon,I get mail from Packinair@justabouteverything all the time. what they do is get your addressbook and send mail to them also. you just need to be careful, it happens to me everyday but I have learned what to look for. I would not be overly concerened at all

Old 02-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Banned

Question I am curious....

I have norton anti virus, I thought that AOL could locate where it came from, now I am not so sure. The reason I was concern was that Tres and I both received these on the same night all from the same return path! I guess now I should change my password. So now everytime that Tres recieve an email from me, he will have to confirm that it came from me. That is crazy, isn't it??

Thanks guys for your input!!

JM94
Old 02-09-2003, 03:46 PM
bobby daniels

please be sure you updated your norton virus protection over the net !!

your isp can give you your pop 3 and smtp addresses its under accounts on your mail program

Old 02-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Registered

It sounds like someone has a virus on thier PC and your email addresses are in thier address book. The way alot of the viruses work is that they will automaticly send the virus to everyone in the address book.....but here's the thing...alot of the viruses will send the virus to one email address (Tres), and use another email address in the address book as the return address (yours). It does this so that you can't figure out who it is comming from. You may be able to analyse the detailed header information of the email and track down an IP address or server of where it originally came from.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Oh...just because you have Norton, it doesn't mean you are protected unless you run the Live Update. Norton updates thier virus definition every wednesday. If your norton isn't configured to do automatic live updates, you should run manual live updates every Thursday or so.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some version of the Klez virus. You can go to Symantec.com for the fix