Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Grand Cherokees...Good or bad??? >

Grand Cherokees...Good or bad???

Notices

Grand Cherokees...Good or bad???

Old 03-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that you will be abusing it but I've found the cherokee(xj) can take more of a beating than the grand cherokee (off road) and etc. I don't know about towing ,but we're alway's towing out broken grand cherokees from the trails with cherokee(xj)'s just my .02
Old 03-19-2003, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My uncle works for a dealer,,, ( service manager)

Biggest piece of garbage on the road, thats all they do all day long, fix jeeps.

was looking for an suv for my wife, and spent a lot of time on edmunds.com they had a long term jeep test, again junk..
Old 03-19-2003, 07:22 AM
Registered

Our 1st one was a 1999, Grand Cherokee limited, purchased used (15,000 miles) spent the next 30,0000 miles in the shop getting the brakes and seal leaks fixed. (some 34 times all together) The wife loved the thing and wouldn't give up on it. Chrysler wouldn't do a thing about it after the 1st time!!! The dealer ended up trading us out of it after we got it labled a LEMON, and we now have a 2002 that she really likes and have had no problems in 42,000 miles. I have heard of others with brake problems in the 99 & 2000 models and was told that they redesigned the brakes ???
Old 03-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99(i'm the original owner) and had the similar brake problems, and they were replaced by the dealer with all new rotors and calipers(and pads of course). The transmission has also been replaced even thought the truck has never done any towing...the good news is there is still the balance of the 7/70 transferrable warranty left! Mine is truly showroom new with 47K miles and not a scratch or stain anywhere. Just put new BF Goodrich tires on it and they have about 200 miles on 'em...It's got remote start, alarm, tinted windows, sunroof, 10 disc changer and all power options--cloth interior, 6cyl auto and 4 wheel drive. I'm looking to move into a dually to tow the boat, so I want to sell it, but I'm in no hurry either. If you're interested, I'm looking to get around 13,500 for it(can help with delivery if needed).

Last edited by Sean; 03-19-2003 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best truck I've ever owned.....the wife has had two a 1997 TSI and a 1995 Laredo never had a problem gas and go. I'm thinking about buying another one to drive back and forth to work. The V8's rock and the 6 cylinders are indestructable.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Different members of my family have had 5 of them since '97 (3 1997s, 1 2000 and 1 2002). The '00 Grand Cherokee Laredo had the most problems. Basically, brakes and electrical systems were constantly requiring attention. The electric windows would stop functioning on a regular basis and the brakes were replaced about every 5,000 miles due to some defect according to the dealer. Now, the '97s didn't have that problem and my sister's '02 has run perfectly since she got it last summer. She loves it and I have to say that it drives nicely and seems to be vastly improved over the '00 model.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Registered

I had a '95 5.2 Limited.
Problems; A/C "NEVER" worked, this was a known problem for years with these vehicals. I gave up trying to fix after the dealer tore out the dash and you would have thought it was going to land in your lap if you went over a speed bump.
Brakes; mine would spit out the brake pads constantly, hit the bakes once everthing was fine, hit um again and you had the caliper going right into the roto. Close to $1000.00 brake jobs every time, this was about every 25k mls.
Transmish; From the factory when they welded the torque converter they burned an o-ring seal inside. Total trans rebuilds were required (did mine at 60k).
All wheel drive; the viscous clutch burned out 3 times in 100k.
Keep in mind I had oversized tires (to try and lose the "me too" image of the mid 90's and jeeps) and drove it like my Porsche, but hey thats the test right.
I bought an '02 Tahoe Z71 and EVERYTHING about this truck is better. Breaks, ride, room, mechanics, ect. The resason I bought the Jeep was because I was comming out of a Porsche and the full size I thought was too big. That was a total mistake.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Ashes to ashes dust to dust if it wasn't for Jeep's my tools would rust.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On year two with a Limited (wifes) car.... other than a problem with the radio it's been awesome !!!!

JM
Old 03-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Registered

Have a 96. I keep thinking about getting F150 4x4 for pulling the boat. Jeep pulls it fine. I sometimes have a problem on a steep, slippery ramp with the one wheel peel. Because of the good experience (126,000 miles), I have been reluctant to get into something else with a big payment. I have even considered a limited slip rear differential as an alternative to buying a new ride.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokees...Good or bad???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.