Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Info for those running chips in their trucks. >

Info for those running chips in their trucks.

Notices

Info for those running chips in their trucks.

Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lariat every opp you could get in 2000.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Registered

No I double checked them, the stock computer has about a 1-2 mpg flaw. Now I have heard of some two wheel drive trucks getting better than me on the highway but I do real good in the city from what I hear. I do have the 410 gears and keep my rear tires at 75-80 psi because I tow alot of weight, when I kept them down around 50 psi I loose almost 2 mpg. I have also noticed that it makes a differance on where I get fuel the East coast station near my house I get the best from, Texaco and Chevron are the worst for me. I was going to sell it but not for one more year I want the 6.0 to have one more year under it's belt. Have you heard anything about the airaid TB spacer I have one but havn't put it in yet, they say better low end and maybe 1 mpg.

My brother just got a 03 with the 7.3 bone stock 1500miles he is getting 17.5 over all, it's a 250 long bed crew cab 4x4 so we'll see how it get's he's going to do some stuff to it but he doesn't tow just tools in the bed.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Registered

I think my MPG sucked stock but when I programmed it was a huge differance I was worse than all my friends now we are all about the same give or take a mpg.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

One little fact that has yet to be addressed. If you take your truck in and a dealership denies warranty on the basis it has, or has had a chip, it will be put on OASIS, Fords dealer network computer. If this happens, you are out of luck if you have any powertrain related warranty problems ANYWHERE(black flagged on OASIS). Each dealership is it's own entity, but they are still governed by certain guidleines set at Ford. If a dealership decides to repair a vehicle under warranty, and it has been determined that said vehicle was "enhanced"(OASIS), Fords warranty division will deny warranty and the dealership will be responsible for said repair. Ford has issued a policy to all dealers (I have read said policy) and they are pushing a zero toleranace policy. Yes, it is up to your dealer, just as Boot said, to take care of warranty. But I would bet Boot and his dealer have a very good working relationship. Also you can bet that OASIS didn't have his vehicle lsited as being "enhanced". The only way to get around this issue is to purchase a new PCM, and if service is needed, install new PCM. And for those who want to fight Ford on the warranty issues through the Magnusson Moss act, good luck. Ford has DEEEEP pockets and I know I wouldn't want to endure litigation with them. Any enhancements, even a K&N filter can be reason for warranty denial(a little extreme I know). The bottom line, if you want warranty, don't enhance. PS, both my PSD are enhanced, wouldn't drive them without it.

Last edited by Neverfastenuf; 03-27-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

No I said that in post #21
Old 03-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I geuss I didn't realy finish my thoughs on the real topic here , Warentee ......

Yes , many dealers install this stuff , and there are a few laws that help to protect our warentees. but , lets face it , If a motor was built to be a specific way and a specific horse power , you can't realy expect to be able to add 100-200 more hp and think they will stand behind it ........ Myself and many others would like them to but I could see their point if they didn't want to ! It is common to add 40-50% hp to these trucks ! Thats a lot ! I am sure if you bought some new Eickert , or Sterling 1200's and turned them up to 1900 hp , I'll bet you "could " have a warentee issue there too . The best thing is to have a good relation with a dealer . I buy my trucks almost 3 hours from here ! And there is a good reason .

Lapse of Reason, I assume your exhaust temps are taken from the down pipe and not the exhaust manifold ? IF it is then that is a little hot . The right place to have the probe is in the exhaust manifold . On truck that have them in the down pipe I normaly see 800-900 max set on 90 hp & towing . There is no way to know how much heat is lost through the exhaust and the turbo before reaching the gauge sendor . IF yours is in manifold then your truck is doing great ! Sounds like it is anyway if you realy get that mileage out of 4:10 rears !

And troutly is right , MOst chips will mess up your mileage computer . DO it the old fashioned way ! And yes , ANY chip for a gas engine requires you to run premium gas . You also gain very little in power compared to a diesel , but they do work . gains from 10-maybe 30 hp tops .
I haven't herd about the spacer either but it sounds like a nother fairy tale to gian 1 mpg ! Kind of like those open air boxes under the hood that claim they gain something . Pretty good trick when sucking hot air because they DO NOT SEAL , and if they did , they are still taking air from the same place in the fender which is resticked anyway . There is only one true ram air COLD air intake that I know of . Western diesel ram air and it's only for fords . That one is proven to work . it gains 13% ! The others I sell too, Banks ,BD,ATS, they don't do anything .They COULD get more air in because of the high flow filter but the box is restricted and they DO pull in hot air .

Last edited by boot; 03-27-2003 at 10:34 AM.