Building a shop for the boat >

Building a shop for the boat

Notices

Building a shop for the boat

Old 02-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Building a shop for the boat

I built a new shop. 45 x 30 14'celing 12 x 12 doors. If you are going to install a lift you will need 12' for a standard lift. Look for a lift that is wide enough the fit your trailer. The new lift I got is almost 11' wide.The 12 x 12 doors make it real easy to get in and out. If possible a drive through building is the best thing out there. Heat and a/c is a big plus also. Well worth the money on those hot days when your s$%t brakes, and heat when you play during the winter.

Good luck and there is never enough room or planing done on the toy box, so think long.......................
Old 02-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Go longer than 40, built my 30x42 three years ago when I had a 25 footer. I never thought I wanted anything bigger than 30. Well I've got a 34' boat now, luckily it fits.......by a half an inch. You will enjoy having this more than you think. Eric
Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
Here is mine 204 x 36 front building 14ft ......
All that space, yet the boat is still parked outside.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres mine. If you are going to do the heat and air put some thought in to how to run the duct work, sort of killed my center bay. 60x80 16' center 14' exterior walls. Make sure you get a dependable builder.....
Attached Thumbnails Building a shop for the boat-676u4603-1024.jpg   Building a shop for the boat-676u4611-1024.jpg   Building a shop for the boat-676u4713-1024.jpg  

Old 02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are customers boats here is mine
Attached Thumbnails Building a shop for the boat-house-11-2-2005-015.jpg   Building a shop for the boat-house-11-2-2005-012.jpg  
Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse the mess that was 1 month after moving in.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.....met with my buddy the framer this morning.........I'm in a residential neighborhood here with a 190x85' lot.....city bylaw states 20% of the lot can be covered in total.....(garage and house) house is 1000sq/ft footprint so I can build a total of 2230 sq/ft..........didn't want to move out in the sticks just so I could have a garage.....and still wanted city services(gas water/sewer etc)......its a nice well kept mature neighborhood and the kids didn't have to change schools so everybody's happy........

Just the way the lot is laid out Im limited to about 50' long and no drive through......The biggest boat i would ever want would be a 35 Fountain.......around where I boat up here much more than 35 and you start to run into serious problems with ramps and slip size so there is not much danger of me getting a 46 Black Thunder or a 50' Nor-tech!!!

With the price of steel these days I'm going with stick built 2x6 construction......that way its easy to insulate and you can make the outside look good (the town is very sticky about that!!) and a good friend is a framer for a living......the building will be backed into the back corner of the lot and be shaped like home plate on a baseball diamond.........40' across the front........6" concrete floor with an xtra 2" dug out for a thicker area around where the boat wheels will sit......6 mil plastic underneath......

The boat will go right down the centre, 50' length through a 12' door and there will be room for 1 car on each side of the boat (maybe 2 parked front to back) with its own standard size garage door.....three doors across the front altogether......taller one in the centre for the boat......next stop is the architect.................doug
Old 02-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
Thanks for the comments guys.....met with my buddy the framer this morning.........I'm in a residential neighborhood here with a 190x85' lot.....city bylaw states 20% of the lot can be covered in total.....(garage and house) house is 1000sq/ft footprint so I can build a total of 2230 sq/ft..........didn't want to move out in the sticks just so I could have a garage.....and still wanted city services(gas water/sewer etc)......its a nice well kept mature neighborhood and the kids didn't have to change schools so everybody's happy........

Just the way the lot is laid out Im limited to about 50' long and no drive through......The biggest boat i would ever want would be a 35 Fountain.......around where I boat up here much more than 35 and you start to run into serious problems with ramps and slip size so there is not much danger of me getting a 46 Black Thunder or a 50' Nor-tech!!!

With the price of steel these days I'm going with stick built 2x6 construction......that way its easy to insulate and you can make the outside look good (the town is very sticky about that!!) and a good friend is a framer for a living......the building will be backed into the back corner of the lot and be shaped like home plate on a baseball diamond.........40' across the front........6" concrete floor with an xtra 2" dug out for a thicker area around where the boat wheels will sit......6 mil plastic underneath......

The boat will go right down the centre, 50' length through a 12' door and there will be room for 1 car on each side of the boat (maybe 2 parked front to back) with its own standard size garage door.....three doors across the front altogether......taller one in the centre for the boat......next stop is the architect.................doug
Sonds like you have a good plan, good luck and enjoy