Notices

73 Cigarette Flat Deck

Old 08-07-2024, 08:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 975 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Very impressive in all aspects! Any chance of mounting a go pro style cam for a pov angle?
OffshoreDreamer,

It's been done. It's underwhelming. Could be that nobody has ever done it with one of these serious racing boats. The problem is that the CG and aerodynamics of these boats are fairly critical, and a GoPro messes with both pretty bad.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
They have something similar at the LOTO Shootout. I go out and watch them for 1 day at HAHA TONKA State Park. Some big iron shows up and they are really cool to watch. I would really like to build or get one, but every time I've tried driving a RC anything, it crashes!. I lost 2 drones last year out at my river place. They just flew away, never to be seen again. One did show up while mowing a couple months later, it was trashed.
Helmhurst,

I'm one eye from blind, having lost my left eye to a retinal blastoma when I was 4yo. I have no binocular vision, and, therefore, no depth perception. This is why I've always stuck to 2-dimensional RC stuff, specifically the boats. And even then, the end of the back stretch, entering into what NASCAR would call turn 3, has always been a challenge for me. Most guys I raced against regularly learned when they could pass me on the inside if they could, because I was bad for overshooting the turn. A high vantage point driver's stand really helped. I've stood on 5gal buckets on many occasions.

It's actually surprising how well these boats behave. The hardest thing to teach newer drivers is to actually squeeze the trigger and load the turn fin. They don't really like to turn at slower speeds. The outriggers, anyhow, which is all I've ever driven consistently. Once you've got them dialed in and set up right, they go pretty much exactly where you tell them to. Sometimes, this is the actual problem, though. The other thing is to get them to take rudder throw OUT of their steering. The rudders on the boats in the videos are only turning about 5° or so to make these turns. It's nutz how hard they turn with so little rudder deflection.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-07-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What is POV angle???>?>?>?>?>
Old Today, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Alfred Bundy
What is POV angle???>?>?>?>?>
Alfred,

A GoPro camera mounted on the boat for a 1st person perspective of the boat running.

Thanks. Brad.
Old Today, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

, Oh you mean like this? Its a 40 inch dumas scarab that I converted to center console
The following 2 users liked this post by Alfred Bundy:
OLDRAT (Today), Wally (Today)