Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Douglas GM -- Skater 399v -- Ref thread "Is APBA Arachnophobic?" >

Douglas GM -- Skater 399v -- Ref thread "Is APBA Arachnophobic?"

Notices

Douglas GM -- Skater 399v -- Ref thread "Is APBA Arachnophobic?"

Old 06-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doubt it. i finished dead last with my formula and we got tagged for changes.

Treadwell
Old 06-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Registered

the reason there was no problem was because this was formulas first boat to hit the water. they changed the pleasure into a race boat. all boat were made the same. that was all before the institution of templates for the bottoms of boats.

Treadwell
Old 06-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

plus the fact all you people are missing the point. there is no stifling. you are allowed to make changes. the question is did skater follow the proper channles. i personnally have no clue so won't even comment on that.

Treadwell
Old 06-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike
Actually I have the rule book....and I am a member of a F1 team... I own a pretty good P4 Warlock if I wanted to race it...and I have been following racing for quite a while. I have raced NHRA since the late 50's so I do know a little about how motorsports operate and how much NHRA has grown. In NHRA pro classes they encourage R&D not stiffle it and dont require racers to stick to the "sponser of the week" for frames or motors. Racing is a constant development of equipment to get the edge. Thats why my old boss is now the #1 pro stock class car in the country. Its taken years of hard work and money, but to those that are willing to make the effort, the feeling of acomplishment is worth it. No NHRA pro racers are required to use a certin engine or frame builder in any catagory. A good example is the 95% rule, started to try to slow the TFD and FC down but the cars are still getting faster. But they do have rules and guidelines that everyone must follow for each class. Most of there rules are for safety. Thats just called competition. If your goal is to want to slow down development, fine, If you want to make a buck by requireing racers to use a certin product, fine, just say so.
It takes money to race Fred, plain and simple, if you want to be the best at something you can find a way. How fast can you afford to go is never so truer then in any kind of racing. Worse yet..how would you feel if you built a boat and motors for a certin class, only to be told when your done that the class no longer exists? Ask the boys from "Switch" How much would you guess a nascar team spends on engines alone? You can make rules and punish people till your blue in the face, but any racer will always be "gaming" it, and trying to out do the next guy.
My point is have firm guidelines that everyone must follow, make em simple so everyone knows going in whats required, enforce them and dont change em every year cause someone has invented the better mousetrap. Eventually the next guy will catch up and more hard work and money will be spent to get better. We've all seen how motorsports have grown in the past 50 years, and I would hope someday offshore will be at least as well known as tractor pulls, or offroad racing. But by all means humanly possible make your priority SAFETY!
Dan
Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Registered

so your point is what. it not plain enough for you in the rule book. we are not nhra. we are forming our modle around nascar. if you can see for youself most people want the rules and see the future or there would be more then 12 boats at an sbi race were there are no rules.

Treadwell
Old 06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Tread
My point is evryone knows that any kind of racing has rules. Last I heard the nascar teams built there cars around engine guidelines and body templates. But they were allowed to do it on there own, not be forced to have someone do it for them. But besides competition and equipment rules the safety rules are a priority. And who said anything about SBI? I'm with a APBA team.
I know SBI is lax with there rules. Thats there problem and they need to fix it or they wont be 12 boats next year.

Dan
Old 06-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

the real question is why was spiderman penalized for DMC"S lack of paperwork. shoulden't DMC get the fines. homligation is up to DMC not spiderman. the weight pentalty makes no sense. spiderman is not going any faster then what was set in the parameters of super v. so why the weight.

Treadwell

Last edited by Treadwellmotorsports; 06-11-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Registered

hey mike or somebody ca you answer my question. it's not abrasive.

Treadewll
Old 06-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DanB
My point is have firm guidelines that everyone must follow, make em simple so everyone knows going in whats required...
Dan,
With all due respect, this is exactly the case with Skater. Only problem was, Skater didn't follow the proper proceedures, and got fined for it after repeated dialog with APBA Offshore.
Unfortunately, I think this thread, among others has turned this into a regular soap opra.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:00 AM
Registered

ok gordo,

whats your opinion. should todd get penalized for what the factory did. should todd get penalized because he called the factory and asked if it was handled and they said yes. if a boat is approved or homolagated then we buy it. if the manufacture makes a change and does not follow up on the paper work is that the racers fault or the factorys. should the racer suffer for the factory's mishapp. i know i relied on formula to do there job and many times they did not and we got **** for it. but what can we as a racer do. we are not employed at the factory. we do not get paid at the factory to do there paper work. so what do you think.????????????????????????????????????????????

Treadewell

also gordo. fines points all of that is fine. but were does the weight penalty come in . as far as the super v parameters go they want a straight away speed of 105. todds boat does 102. so why the weight. weight is only supposed to be used to create parity. in otherwise slow one guy down so the others have a chance. but if your not even at the guidline then whats the problem. just because one racer did there homework and the others ate dinner he has to suffer.???????????????????????

Quick Reply: Douglas GM -- Skater 399v -- Ref thread "Is APBA Arachnophobic?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.