Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mother Nature ain't no lady, and other tales from Smoke on the Water.... >

Mother Nature ain't no lady, and other tales from Smoke on the Water....

Notices

Mother Nature ain't no lady, and other tales from Smoke on the Water....

Old 06-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soooo, that was dyno in the Sonic!

Saw the cool Sonic and the OSO sticker and figured maybe it was one of the local OSOers..... That thing looks sweet, dyno!
We also had a perfect spot for the kilo run that didn't happen(we were in the 38' Avenger tied up to Jackhammer's 33' Scarab) I was bummed that they called the run so quickly, in another hour it was sunny and clear and they had the permit til 6pm didn't they?

I'm just afraid that Callan, Bacardi and Pier 57 won't come back to West Mi because of our crappy weather, and the fact that they CANCELLED the run when it was not necessary. These guys have an awful lot of coin invested in making a trip up here only to be turned away by race officials. When I called Boyd and Shirley(Mr.&Mrs. Cardshark) to get the scoop on the Poker Run she mentioned that the Bacardi Silver team was a bit pissed off.

I sure am glad I didn't pay $1000 for the poker run this year, I just had a bad feeling about the weather we've been having and figured maybe the run would get shortened or cancelled(the previous two years we lucked out). Besides, I'm out of my league with all the 140 mph boats in the run, and last year I blew my port drive on the leg to Muskegon , kinda makes for an expensive Poker Run weekend.....

Holy Cow, guess I have been gone a long time, Wings don't rule this year................................!

Last edited by boathead; 06-09-2003 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, great story and great pictures

Your right, too bad Mother Nature was not as nice.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Registered

The Extreme Boats Mag guys had a great time this weekend! Joe Sunsation outbid everyone for both the cover shot and 2 page Extreme Shot...THANKS!!!...it went to a GREAT cause!

Dean Loucks from the TAOD donated a painting that i had to have...it now resides in our bedroom.

so the weather was crap...so what,,,we still had a great time! it was very cool to put names (screen names) and faces together...sorry if i didn't get a chance to meet ya....i was running my ass off to get the cameras on various boats and doing other work related stuff!

cya soon....come on out to savannah for the 4th!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Registered

dockrocker, nice to meet you and the "admrial"...no problem on the boat ride! anytime. sorry about your luck....guess your going to have to buy a boat that goes faster than 73 now.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Registered

Just to let the rest of you in on the joke... while Mike, ROUGHSTUFF, and I huddled in the back seat of Joe's boat, slowly turning to ice, Joe and my wife were up in the bolsters. Joe asked her how fast she'd gone in a boat - 65 mph in our old Powerquest.

Joe's response? "We'll have to beat that."

He coached her up to 73 mph or so - all I heard the rest of the weekend was "I had plenty of throttle left!" and "that boat rocks!"

That is one big solid 32' - I was especially impressed with the mid-range on the HP500s. The acceleration pinned you back in your seat pretty good. If I had the dinero, I'd be looking hard at Joe's boat - you can pretty much eat off the bilge it is so clean.

As for the kilo, I initially thought that the CG pulled the plug too soon, but after thinking about it, I'm not so sure. We had pretty much the entire lake shut down, no wake speed was the most they allowed. There were probably 100 boats out to watch, and the course markers were big inflatable buoys, two rows of them on each side of the 5 mile course.

Combine that with a pea soup, can't see 25 feet in front of you fog, and it could've been a dangerouse situation. Assume for a minute that they tell us to hold in place, and the fog rolls in and doesn't burn off - now they've got 100 boats out in low visibility, with new buoys all over the place. Could've been ugly...

In any case, I really hope the kilo becomes a regular feature, but maybe they should schedule it on Sunday morning or early afternoon rather than try to put it together on the same day as the poker run. Might work out a little better that way. One thing is for sure, the weather this year was NOT normal; hopefully, Mother Nature will get her schedule straight and won't be PMS'ing next year in early June!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boathead thanks for the compliment its been a long process from the 90's Miami Vice look to where we are today. Wish I could have shot the sh&^ with you yell at me next time will ya?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:51 AM
BTJ88

dyno,

Vry nice Sonic. I was on land watching the kilo run about 50 yds to your west. (on the penninsula) That was one helluva seat - only a stones throw from the course. I hope they can try it again in the future.

-Brian

Old 06-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Yes Dockrocker and the admiral are great. We did serious damage to the beer vodka and rum supply friday night.
The funniest part was when one off my crew said he had enough and was going home the admiral force fed him his vodka

Sorry I did not meet enverone else Dockrocker I still owe you that ride I was stuck in for until about 4:30
Old 06-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the report and the pictures. Lk. St. Clair poker run and offshore race is coming up June 27-29. Party in Mt. Clemens Friday night, Metro Beach Saturday, race Sunday. The wife (Ms Patriyacht) and I will be camped out all weekend. Free beer to all Oso'ers.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Registered

Lake St.Clair looks to be a GREAT event! As of now,,,it looks like we will be focused on prep'n the race boat for savannah... bummer it is the weekend prior to....o well maybe i'll see some of you this weekend out there???

Quick Reply: Mother Nature ain't no lady, and other tales from Smoke on the Water....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.