Notices

Lake Erie Sandbar

Old 06-26-2003, 09:07 AM
packinair

Originally posted by SeaNDouble
( I come from a club about 5 miles up the Maumee River).
And where would that be?? Glassdave and I are docked at Rossford

Old 06-26-2003, 10:34 AM
SeaNDouble

Packinair,

That's the Toledo Sailing Club (historical name only, only 2 or 3 sailboats there now out of 100 or so), right across the river from you and glassdave. What are your rides?

Old 06-30-2003, 09:47 AM
packinair

I have the twin outbord cat with the checked flag on the side that is always flyin around there

Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lake Erie Sandbar

Pottahawk weekend this year(2006) should be the 8th of July. It's a sunday but it's mardi gras on the water ...drinking, beads flashing - the whole works ....best party I've ever been to....5000 boats just off long point park (pottahawk point) ontario canada. I will post pics...you will not regret showing up...don't show up too late - it tends to start early. Concert at turkey point marina on saturday night.

pics here ...not mine

http://vantagefilms.net/gallery/cont...0Boat%20Party/
Old 06-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Default Pottahawk Island - Second Sunday every July

To all boaters of the south, just thought I'd give some insight on the little Canadian sandbar making news in Lake Erie. The sandbar is named Pottahawk Island. Every second Sunday in July 10's of 1000's of boater show up and tie up for one of the wildest parties I've ever been to. Looking at Lake Erie, this sandbar is protected by Long Point, quite visible by looking at a pic of the lake. It is across from Erie PA. Boats will tie up side by side for 2 miles, and there is 5 to 7 rows deep. Tunes are cranked, vball nets are up, barges have bands, and everyone walks with open alcohol with no major threat from law enforcement. I've been to put-in-bay for Christmas in July, and it is comparable in a sense, but at Pottahawk, everyone walks in knee deep water. It is July 8th this year.

Originally Posted by SeaNDouble
A lot of talk about great sandbar parties at other lakes (havasu, LOTO, etc.), never heard about anything on Lake Erie. We hang out a lot on the sandbar just NE of Maumee Bay State Park, but very few seem to know about it. Obviously, great times at Put in Bay and Kelley's, but where are all the great sandbar times in Western Erie?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erie Desire, Yes you can still get into the hot hole near the coal burning plant. I was just in there this past weekend with my flat deck Scarab, No problems with water depth.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

Default Pottahawk Island

This little Canadian sandbar is one of the greatest places in Lake Erie. Every weekend it is hopping, but the second Sunday every July the event is named The Pottahawk Piss-up. 12,000 boaters showed up last year, Girls Gone Wild the year before. People spend the night, or show up 8am to get a good spot on the bar. Boats are lined up for 2.5 miles and set 5-7 boats deep. It is across from Erie PA. The Saturday night before is wild also in Turkey Point, where many boaters tie up at a local bar in the marina. An event to be witnessed by all sometime in your life. I usually don't miss a weekend out there!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

I have a cottage in Longpoint and its the biggest partie youll ever go to... here are some ariel pics, http://www.geocities.com/pottahawk2001/PottahawkB.htm
Old 12-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

I was at the sandbar by the point years ago It used to be legendary.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 392 Likes on 220 Posts

Nothin like kegs berried in the sand,,,,,,,,,,,, To bad I was only aloud to drink the koolaid back in those days.....
Jr.