Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Be Careful of Jeff Vandertoll, sells on OSO >

Be Careful of Jeff Vandertoll, sells on OSO

Notices

Be Careful of Jeff Vandertoll, sells on OSO

Old 07-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never bought on OSO yet. I'll admit, Im starting to get a little leary after some of these stories lately. I know that sounds strange since I do alot of selling on here. My success in selling has come from great communication and fast shipping. I like to keep the person updated every step of the way, from when their check or money order arrives, to when the item is shipped. If possible, I usually try to ship the item within an hour or two of receiving the money. I try to keep in mind that if someone is willing to take a chance buying from me over the internet, I should at least return the favor by giving the best service possible.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TeamBaja

After some of the horror stories we've been hearing lately, I can understand some of your reservation.
On the other hand, I've bought, sold and traded with private individuals and businesses alike. I've swapped more props in the last year than I can keep track of. All were members of the board that were a pleasure to deal with. While some deals may have been a little sweeter than others, every deal was just as discussed between myself and the other party so there was no misunderstandings between us. I'e never been hosed, and I hope no one feels that I hosed them. Earlier this week I made a deal for some props. I sent a check the next morning. I got the props yesterday just as described.
Add Dean Campbell to the Goodguy list.
In fact, the only deal that didn't come off as smooth as silk was my fault. Last fall I wanted to buy some manifolds. I said I would send money. I was busy getting ready for the Worlds in Key West, and things at work became busy. The seller gave me 2, (possibly more) "reminders" of our agreement, but it was about 3 or more weeks later before I sent money. By the time I sent the check, he had already sent me an e-mail telling me he had sold them to another buyer. I was both embarrassed and upset with myself.
The interesting part is, when he received the check, he called to tell me he was sending the check back and was actually apologizing to ME when it was all my fault to begin with. I offered my deepest apology for slowing up a sale and hoped there were no hard feelings.
Last month I got a great deal on a helmet from him.
Another one to add to the "Goodguy" list; Dredgeking.
So, while there are a few out there that may be "learning" good business, there are so many more that just want an honest deal, and to be treated in an honest fashion.
While I think the hit list is a good idea, I also like to see those posts where someone brings up exceptional customer service from a business, or when someone involved in the boating community goes above and beyond to help out a fellow boater.
It works both ways, so if you see or experience good customer service like this, spread the word. T hose are the folks that I want to spend my money with, and those are the folks that deserve the rewards of good "word of mouth" advertising.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW
CLAPPING HANDS
Nice post Gordo, and I totally agree.
Seems like alot of bashing goes on on hte internet, more elsewhere, but sometimes here. Now I know sometimes it is needed to help one another out from getting burned, but sometimes it goes to far.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gordo,
You said it well. I would put you on the list of good guys in a heartbeat. It has been a long time, but I did buy a transom assy from you, I think before there was an OSO board.
It would be nice to have a list of the positive people on the board. I know there are always two sides to a story, but the "Do unto Others' rule is a good route to follow if you want to survive on the board or anywhere else in life..

Dick (oh yeah thats just my name, no indication of attitude )
Old 07-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned
Gold Member

I have had many great experiences on OSO with people, and you guys are right, we should post the good transactions here also. I believe the board gods are working on another forum for both good and bad postings.

Still hoping the check shows up, nothing so far!
Old 07-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Registered

Yes, I think a forum would be the best idea. Threads in the general section disappear too quickly.

When buying in EBAY, I rely on the feedback system. If I get a bad feeling, I steer clear. I realize alot of times people get negative feedback and dont deserve it from NEW users that have little or no feedback and dont understand how important it is. So far I have 387 total Positive feedbacks, 0 negative, and 0 neutral. I'll be pissed if some jack*** ruins it for me over something stupid.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:29 PM
F2-34thrttleman

Kirk, sorry to hear about your rather foul dealing. are you going to run the milwaukee poker run? should be a good time. i hope everything pans out well and just for you with the prop situation.

Nick Porter
F2-34 t-man

Old 07-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Is Jeff Honest and a Stand Up Guy?

Jeff you posted earlier here that you were sending the money. To date I have not seen a check.

I'd like to believe that we simply had a misunderstanding which is easily rectified by you sending a check for $ 300.00 (less than I paid) to the address I emailed you. I will return the prop UPS, ASAP

Sincerely,

Kirk Jurinek
Old 07-29-2003, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Hey,

I wonder if there is a way to have "feedback" attached to our IDs like ebay. You know, someone telling another here that he is too cheap really sucks and hits more than Kirk. I wish I have the bucks to piss around, but buying parts on this board has kept boating affordable for me. Latest choice, buy used K-planes for $500 or new for $2500+, jeez my landscaping tapped me for discrectionary income this year. Sorry, owing a waterfront home and raising two kids on a single income is a priority 1 and as I see, most guys here are like me in the same "boat".

It would really suck if we could not barter here or OSO prevented us because of BS like this. I get a slight twinge everytime I send money to somebody but I always look for this feedback for guidance.

Later
Old 07-29-2003, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirk,

Do you still have the prop? What kind of condition is it in? I think I'm gonna need a pair of 28s...can you send me a pic?

[email protected]

Sean