Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja >

New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Notices

New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Old 07-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To put it another way, you can relate the Baja to a corvette in the sports car world. Its not t he most expensive and refined performer but you get a lot of bang for the buck. I personally love my Baja 240 sport. If I had more money, I would have bought something nicer like a Cigarette or the equivelant. But cost is a factor. Lets be honest, for enough money, you can make any boat go fast. Bajas just start you out at a lower cost.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered

i have a 2003 baja, and when i was waiting for the boat to be delivered, i was told so many negative things from other boat manuf. fans about how the boat would ride, turn, , that it would porpoise, twist, etc... and it does none of these things, we run it hard and it rides great, it's not top gun, but it's just fine! and it's pretty much turn key!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i had a baja for a couple of years never had a problem it was a 94 290 os now owna FOUNTAIN 92 35 lightning the baja was slower , but ran great, had more cockpit space, if i sold my fountain and ran across a good deal on a 33 outlaw ide take it
Old 07-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Registered

I have had great luck with my 29 outlaw it has twin 454mag mpi's in it, will run over 70 on the GPS, it is a production boat, but Baja uses all the good stuff when they build them like vinylester resin,premium gelcoat, end grain balsa core, hand laid bi-axial laminates, plexus bonding, and many other high quality building operations, if the boat surveys well and he likes it, buy it
Old 07-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the continued responses. I showed him this thread and he's considering looking at a couple of local Baja's this weekend.

Now his dilemma is whether to buy an older, but bigger boat, or a newer, smaller boat - i.e. an early 90's 33-35' boat (in good, well-maintained or refurbished condition) or a newer 27'-ish boat.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Bajas are wonderful boats, especially for the $$$. I have owned two, a little 180 Islander and just sold a 1998 Hammer. Both were quick and well built. They aren't Panteras, Phantoms or Cigs, but they are very durable and handle as much as most any other boat. Have your brother in law get a survey done on any potential purchase. Also, see if he can locate people with the exact model he's looking at and go for a ride and get their opinion!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also check out the owners forum they have a huge following and any questions can be answered there.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered

My wife & I went to the Atlantic City boat show in Feb. '03. We checked out all the brands and concluded that Baja, less the steps, was not much different than the more expensive competitors. We ordered one w/ custom paint, rec'd it about 4 weeks ago and absolutely love it. Check it out in the Baja owners forum under "Here's my 33"
Old 07-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered

Whether a prop is designed to stern lift or bow lift, what's that got to do with the ride characteristic of a boat? Hydromotive will be the first to tell you their props are designed to lift the stern, and their Quad IV's sure worked on my 311 Formula, as they will work on any ass heavy boat that has a decent natural bow lift ride attitude. At speed it has the effect of creating a shorter "x" demension, less drag equals more speed. I believe they were also referring to 30 ft. and over boats. Like I said, just spin a prop that helps create bow lift. duhhhh....
Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 PM
formulaF302

Hey Russ....I'm running an 86 f302 that feel like a heavy pig with the mirage plus 25 pitch props (thru TRS drives). Do you think I should consider a 4 blade? What differnce did you notice? Thanks.. Glenn

Quick Reply: New to "go-fast" boats, question about Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.