Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected? >

What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?

Notices

What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?

Old 07-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think the dealer knew for these reasons:

They would have never left the hour meter unplugged on delivery

They would have lied about the hours that were on the boat or maybe fudged them by only 10 or 20 hours

If they did check the engine hours, and noticed the difference, I would think even an idiot would check to see if the hour meter was unplugged.

A large group of us have dealt with this dealership for several years, and aside from the usual marina BS, they have always been straight shooters with us. I also think they realize the rock and hard place they are caught between as word travels fast up in this area and they do not need there reputation tarnished over something they were not aware of. In hindsight, where I do think they fall short is there inspections of trade in boats. This particular boat was freshwater only, and it was a one owner trade on a lightning with 575's. They just assumed the guy wanted to move up and did not give it a second thought. i remember when my brother in law traded his 29 fever in on his 35 executioner, his old boat was brought in at 4:00 on a friday and was on the front line Saturday at 8:00 AM. I think they take for granted that some of there clients may be dishonest even though they are repeat customers.

At any rate, my friend has a meeting with the owner of the marina today, and I will pass along how things work out. At last check, my friend had not decided if he even still wanted the boat anymore as he feels deceived.

thanks again guys for all the input.

Matt Burns
Old 07-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lucy
like i said take out the guess work.power it yourself.
I agree.
I might add I got a customer that bought a new boat only owner.The scan said it over 100 more hrs than the meters.

BTW on the warranty issue the boat at resale still has those hrs
Old 07-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you. my end result.
Attached Thumbnails What would you do if your new used boat had the hour meter disconnected?-motor.jpg006.jpg