Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone had a trailer powder coated before? >

Anyone had a trailer powder coated before?

Notices

Anyone had a trailer powder coated before?

Old 07-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Jan
I was thinking about Rhino Lining my trailer, any thoughts on this.

Jan
I may be able to help a little on this idea.

I spray bedliners for a living. The amount of chemical it would take to coat my trailer at my cost wouldn't be worth it for me to do myself. There's also an issue of getting EVERYTHING coated good. I don't think it's possible to get into every spot and crack and do it correctly. This coming from someone that has sprayed over 200 bedliners this year alone.

If it's done correctly it would be a good product to use. Although I wouldn't recommend using "Rhino". I would recommend using someone that sprays a hot, high pressure liner. The end result would be better.

Buck
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with BruceK from the board. He is as HONEST as the day is long. He will tell you if it is worht it or not. I know several people he has turned down simply because the cost to them would not be worth the work. He is a GREAT guy and does fabulous work. I know several OSO members that have had fantastic success with Bruce. He is an OSO sponsor and his company is called Thunder Coatings.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I had my k-planes and some hand rails coated two years ago by a local shop. They had corrosion on them and were sand blasted. They are already peeling, and look horrible. I have also heard that the zinc-primer helps - I'll probably have them re-coated this winter by someone that has more marine experience.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
Does that $300 include the blasting? For powdercoating to grab, the trailer must be blasted to a near white metal condition. Pretty tough and time consuming.
Tim...Price does not include sand blasting. I agreed to bring it to him alread blasted. I have a guy that does all the sand blasting for my shop that will do it for somewhere in the area of $75-$100. I still feel like I'm money ahead though.

Thanks for all the tech info and heads up guys. I'll check with BruceK and get some feeback from him on what I'm planning on doing.

Buck
Old 07-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Registered

Powder coating is very impact resistant but offers no protection against corrosion like a good epoxy primer would.
I would`nt do it.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Powder coating is excellent against corrosion, that is why the auto manufacturers use it. But on used equipment, it is worthless unless the surface is prepped properly. If you are having it blasted and then taking it to be coated for $300, that is an excellent deal. - My husband used to own a powdercoating shop before selling it, and these are his comments.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Bad Girl
Powder coating is excellent against corrosion, that is why the auto manufacturers use it. But on used equipment, it is worthless unless the surface is prepped properly. If you are having it blasted and then taking it to be coated for $300, that is an excellent deal. - My husband used to own a powdercoating shop before selling it, and these are his comments.
Thank you for the reply. That was pretty much what I was thinking.

Buck
Old 07-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Auto manufacturers use powder coating in some instances to reduce costs, cut down on voc emissions and to reduce toxic waste. They still use epoxy primer ( E-coat) on body panels and other assorted components.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Roger 1
Powder coating is very impact resistant but offers no protection against corrosion like a good epoxy primer would.
I would`nt do it.

total bull****
Old 07-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't this require a BIG oven?

Quick Reply: Anyone had a trailer powder coated before?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.