Notices

What's more Safe, V bottom or Cat??

Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by mmwalters
T2X My point is, a canopie boat for pleasure is no better then a non canopie boat due to the fact most people would not use a 5 point harness in a pleasure situation. So yes I agree with you. Even though I own a full canopie pleasure boat.
In a full race boat with all the proper gear there can be no question as it has been proven time and time again
I don't see why a Pleasure/Poker runner would not use a 5 point harness. I used one in my Ferrari Boxer on public streets................................ and a boat fast enough to merit canopies....should have the whole enchilada. In fact a canopied boat without a full integrated system is MORE dangerous than a non canopied boat in terms of trapping occupants, and uninformed "rescuers", etc......... If you barrel roll inside a canopied boat with no belts, lighting, nor oxygen...... God help you.

T2x
Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2X,

Well put. Everyone should read a copy of the Lavin Guidelines before they rig their boat... or make sure those rigging it are complying with the guidelines.

Chris
Old 08-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

T2X,
After Kevin Brown's death, I was told that it resulted from water entering from the back of the canopies, which were open, as the result of a spin.

I recall that most, if not all, cat cockpits were open everywhere except the canopies themselves.

A lot like the "pleasure" canopies we see today.

In any case, not a "Lavin" installation by modern standards.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Reindl Powerboats
T2X,

Well put. Everyone should read a copy of the Lavin Guidelines before they rig their boat... or make sure those rigging it are complying with the guidelines.

Chris
Or find someone that's been over a few times to rig it
Old 08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Registered

Cat-can-do blew over during a kilo run a few years ago I think at the race at Fountain's factory.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We were IMHO the first Open Class Boat with Canopies and went over hard out front in the WC in Key West 1987 we raced the boat again two days later..Building a Tough Boat is one thing but keeping everyone alive quite another;

Without that Canopied system (a lot of time was spent on it) everything would have been much different that Day..and the Cockpit protection in the Jaguars has always been first class..I guess there is nothing like a fullscale test so to speak..
Old 08-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve-
Was the Jag built to Lavin guidelines (or more)? Was the hull heavy? When did you stop doing the layups for Jag?
John
Old 08-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Registered

Tony C was driving the outboard sister ship in Atlantic City the day Kevin Brown crashed, the outboard boat also sustained damage I guess it was very rough.
T2X I have a hard time getting my passengers in inflateible jackets for a poker run, plus a 5 point harrness would chafe the girls at the bikini line. So I just run easy.
I have studied the Lavin guidelines, very well thought out and complete. I do wonder how many boats racing today would meet those guidelines?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by ApachePete
T2X,
After Kevin Brown's death, I was told that it resulted from water entering from the back of the canopies, which were open, as the result of a spin.

I recall that most, if not all, cat cockpits were open everywhere except the canopies themselves.

A lot like the "pleasure" canopies we see today.

In any case, not a "Lavin" installation by modern standards.
Nope........ The boat straightaway barrel rolled in rollers off AC.....side ways water dislodged the driver's side canopy and forced it against his head and upper torso..........We were flying just behind it at the time.......With Kevin's father on board with us in Tango Yankee (our helicopter). Very tough moment.........

T2x
Old 08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally posted by mmwalters

T2X I have a hard time getting my passengers in inflateible jackets for a poker run, plus a 5 point harrness would chafe the girls at the bikini line.
But chafing beats Intensive Care............. any day.
Be very careful.

T2x

Quick Reply: What's more Safe, V bottom or Cat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.