Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need info - confused over blowers >

Need info - confused over blowers

Notices

Need info - confused over blowers

Old 08-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As said , set up is everything . But in my opinion, smaller lower power setups (525-700) are much easier . When you get up over 1000 hp with multiple carbs , then it becomes harder .......
Old 08-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

One of the main reasons I am interested in supercharged engines is because I know you can get real super smoooooooth idling charactoristics with them. I know of a 41' Apache around here that has Merc 800SC's w/Stelling headers and it idles like a family van and it HOWLS out on the water! I cannot believe how smooooooth it idles!!! Lopy, rough idles are more attractive of the marine patrols.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the 70's when I was first looking at installing a turbo setup I had a 2 hr. conversation with Jack Rex who worked at Gale Banks at the time. I called to see what I was looking at getting into. The first words out of his mouth was Turbo's were known for tearing/blowing up motors. He explaned that setup was the important thing. After I had talked to him & started asking people that had bad mouth turbos/blowers I learned that the ones that badmouthed them did not have a clue what they were doing & did not have the motors setup correctly. Over the years I have torned up my share of motors but the reason I did was because I was running the motors on the edge. I think the most important thing to remember after setup is only run the right gas. Bad gas & problems are soon to follow.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Canehdiangirl

agree with all in regards to set-up ...

I strongly suggest regardless of the type of blowers you choose to research, research and research the installer some more.

We have a 32 sunsation with hp500 efi's ... added whipples back in June. Ran great the first two times we had it out, then everything went down hill from there. Spent a month and a half working out the bugs, taking engines out, putting them back in etc, etc, etc. Very long story, but what it comes down to is a botch job on the initial installation.

Finally have everything in working order and knock on wood, it's running solid.. but took alot of unecessary work and time and $$$$ to get there.