Notices

Powerquest boats ??

Old 08-15-2003, 08:03 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BillR
Notice Scott's boat: Flies level, no tabs. HHmmm sound familar???
Easy There Bill!!! Check out #23. He needs to do something in those ....swells...!!

At the marina that we keep our ACTIVE THUNDER they sell PQ's. Nice boat, much better looking with a fairing. They seem to be selling the hell out of 'em!!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by ChrisK
Mad hatter, if you dont like the PQ, then dont ride with your friend. Simple. Personally I dont like Velocity, even though they are built less than 20 minutes from me. I think they are ugly as sin, but I dont bash em when someone is just asking a question about them. Lighten up man!
I live 10 minutes from where they make PQ's and I STILL bash them. Every one that I have driven has been terrible. My dad has tried running that 340 (Races with Team Motion running a STEPPED hull boat) and hated it, I tried running it and hated it. The nose was all over no matter what I did with the trim.

As for Velocity, I happen to have a good looking one that doesn't have pink or any kind of pastels on it. I agree with you, there are ALOT of ugly Velocity. Velocity has more ugly boats out there than any manufacturer in the USA. Ride quality? Hell yeah it can suck, does it track straight through the water? Yes. Did I buy it cause I wanted a smooth ride? No. Did I buy it cause I wanted a fast boat? Yes, and I happened to actually like the way this one looked.

Lastly, this guy was asking opinions on PQ's so thats what I gave him, and now I gave you my opinion of velocity and it sounds alot like yours. Don't like my opinion IGNORE IT. Plan and simple.

Edit: Also this guy wasn't asking an opinion on velocity. If he would have asked I would have told him the same thing that I wrote above. They are great go fast boats but if your looking for something along the lines of a 280 powerquest I would look somewhere else. Which is also why I didn't suggest he buy a fountain. There again, can they have a shotty ride? Yes. Do they go fast? Hell yes.

Hatter has spoken.

Last edited by Mad Hatter; 08-15-2003 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by Vyper340
I would suggest that your fried use a little more or less tab and mark the indicators to match level with the hull. It sounds to me like he's using too much tab and causing the boat to porpoise (needs less tab).
The problem wasn't that it was porpoising, it was that if you were in a helicopter watching this boat it does an "S" pattern like a snake going through the water. Hmm......Snake.............340Vyper, coincidence? I think not . On the back side of waves in the swells it bow hooks to the right or to the left. I tried running less tabb and got the crap beat outta us and still bow hooked, tried tucking the drive in different positions, tried raising the drives and tucking the tabs, none of these did anything. I was actually nervous riding in that thing when my friend first got it. I think its a 99' or 2000. Its newer.

Old 08-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Met up with board member New To Power last weekend at the launch ramp, the graphics seemed different on his 26 PQ than I remembered, I asked if he got a new boat, he said his old boat (a 99 I think 26) developed spider cracks in the gel so they gave him a totally new hull (they didnt just "fix" it....Donzi) and put the power from his old boat in it at no charge to him.......all I can say is WAY TO GO POWERQUEST!!!!.....THAT IS THE WAY to handle that type of situation!!!!!other manufactures should step up and take notice!!!!......
Old 08-15-2003, 10:52 AM
wilerty

Back in 2000, I looked at the Silencer when I bought my 280 Velocity. I think the 280 Silencer is a great boat and I'm sure I would have been happy with it. I no longer own any boat.

Since 2000, I have driven and driven beside many single engine boats, with and without steps, in the 26 to 30 foot range ... several on the same day in the same conditions. Not trying to start the age old battle here ... but, in defense of Mad Hatter, stepped hull boats feel different then straight V hulls in the slop and rough. I'm thinking that Mad Hatter might have made the same comment about most stepped hulls. The V hull boats feel more directionally stable to me. I beleive it is less of an issue with a 35 foot boat with twins. But with a 28 foot boat you want to be sure to drive the various boats you're looking at in rough conditions at close to top speed and see how they feel. I will also mention that if you are mostly going to drive around at 50mph then this is a non-issue ... they all handle well. But if you are going to spend a lot of time at top speed ... and especially if there's a Whipple in your future, you want to be careful what hull you buy ... there is a huge difference. There are a large number of great boats in this size range. Take you time and find the one that fits you.

Last edited by wilerty; 08-15-2003 at 10:54 AM.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:53 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their customer service is the BEST I've personally seen in the industry.

MadHat: I don't know what Vyper you were on, but mine does not do that S pattern. Heck, I have let go of the helm and just sat back and let the boat run. It tracked straight. Do you think mayber there were other issues, like gimble problems? Your welcome to come drive mine anytime. Not trying to "pump up" PQ, but mine 340 doesn't do what you describe.

R Addiction: That pic is very deceiving. There were some big easy rollers coming in from the ocean that day, and Vyper340 was trying to get a good helo shot (RE: ++Trim). Plus that pic was taken where the Ches Bay & Ocean meet. There is a point of land there and the water is always a challenge. What you don't see to the side of my boat is a 43' Black Thunder airing out the hull.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by BillR
Their customer service is the BEST I've personally seen in the industry.

MadHat: I don't know what Vyper you were on, but mine does not do that S pattern. Heck, I have let go of the helm and just sat back and let the boat run. It tracked straight. Do you think mayber there were other issues, like gimble problems? Your welcome to come drive mine anytime. Not trying to "pump up" PQ, but mine 340 doesn't do what you describe.
I'll take you up on that nest time I'm in VA . I have heard good things about their customer service. But as far as the Vyper goes, I've driven more than just my friends vyper. Both of them had trouble getting on plain and with the "S" pattern deal. Maybe by the time you got yours they had fixed the problem????

And the V versus stepped V, I've driven other stepped boats before. There is an definite difference I agree, but they didn't handle as poorly as these vypers. I also have driven older PQ and wasn't overly impressed either.

Look I don't mean to insult the people that own them, I just don't like the boats. I think 380 look huge, like they are dangerously close to the fountain SC mistake, and I don't care for some of their paint jobs. BEFORE you start going off on me however the worst paint job I've seen is better than %90 of the velocity's paintjobs.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh Just buy a Sunsation
Old 08-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my old 99(w/ fairing). Had some handling problems, but PQ took care of it, 2 blueprint jobs later. If the 34's had issues PQ would of fixed them if asked. I also traveled w/ many other offshores and can tell you I got more than most in compliments on how sharp it was. Owned a 91 290 PQ before this and can tell you I havent seen a stress crack or had too tighten a screw since my 87 240 baja.
Attached Thumbnails Powerquest boats ??-pq-5.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always heard on "here" and elsewhere that Sunsation can do a fairly decent customer service job too. But to me it's all hear-say because I haven't really had any opportunity to put it to he test.....

I thought the 290 was the worst one they made and therefore dumped the line in favor of the new 30 Revenge? BTW, nobody ever mentions that particular model. Has it done well in sales since it's debut at the 2002 Miami show?...

Quick Reply: Powerquest boats ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.