Notices

OT: The Dog is Gone

Old 09-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Miller,

I can only imagine how you feel. For the blind persons sake I hope he makes someone a lifelong companion. But for you, I hope he doesn't make it and he comes HOME! Keep your chin up dude. Call me if you need anything over the weekend. Maybe hangin' with Candice would help. Take care pal.

Shane
Old 09-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admire what you are doing
Old 09-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I had to give my two weimaraners away because my new house didn't have the outdoor space for them to run. That may have been the hardest thing I've ever done. Wow did it hurt! I know they are in a good home now with plenty of out outdoor running room and I'm sure it was the right thing to do, but man did that hurt. Isn't amazing how attached we get to pets?

That's one great gift you're giving to someone in need! My hat goes off to you.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Too Old
Miller,

Keep in mind that what you have done will enrich someone else's life. And it didn't happen without some pain to you.

Selflessly serving others less less fortunate is an indication of your character.

It doesn't put the dog back in your apartment, but you sure have earned my respect and admiration.
Fred, while I appreciate the comments I did not do anything worthy of earning your respect. I simply helped where I could, nothing more. If anything, I probably owe the Foundation a thank you and some grattitude because they ALLOWED me to experience this amazing dog in my world for more than a year.

I benefitted significantly from the experience; met people and had encounters that I would not have had otherwise. So, I really am better off today for having been allowed the honor of raising the dog. The price I'm paying for all of that is some sorrow, longing and sadness that he's gone. Really, the price is a bargain. And, because I got so much out of the experience, I'm not certain you can really classify it as entirely altruistic. That implies that I did something for which I derived no benefit. In this case, I was on the receiving end of some wonderful memories.

And, he may again find a home here. Let's just hope that he passes while knowing that he'll happily live out his life with me if he doesn't.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Registered

Miller, you're much stronger than I could ever be, as I wouldn't be able to say goodbye to my friend the way you did. It's hard enough taking that last walk, or in my case, the last ride to the vet in the car, with a presence that's been a treasured member of your family, knowing that very soon she'll be sleeping forever more. My biggest regret is that I wasn't strong enough to hold her, to comfort her so that she wouldn't be alone, when the vet administered the injection,,,,,,
Old 09-13-2003, 04:36 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My biggest regret is that I wasn't strong enough to hold her, to comfort her so that she wouldn't be alone, when the vet administered the injection,,,,,, [/B][/QUOTE]

Miller, I can't imagine having to do that. Hope all goes well. And do what my mom used to tell me when I was little.....Think Happy Thoughts!!!

I don't think I could do that either Crazyhorse but I will. My Golden is a huge part of my life. Have you have ever read the 10 commandments of being a pet owner? Makes alot of sense. The Rainbow Bridge helps ease the pain.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Registered

What Fred said goes for me too. Your a stand up guy in my book.

Roger
Old 09-13-2003, 04:42 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My best friend....
Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Registered

When I put my Shepard to sleep ten years ago I stayed with him. I`m really glad that I did.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've got three. 12, 8, and 3. Wouldn't give'm up for anything.Only two in this pic.
Well, maybe a 51 outerlimits.
Attached Thumbnails OT: The Dog is Gone-im000147-2-.jpg