WAY OT-Home Theater on a Budget

Notices

WAY OT-Home Theater on a Budget

Old 09-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WAY OT-Home Theater on a Budget

Hello All,

I know that there are many "in the know" regarding home theater systems and I'm looking for anyone who can offer advice. I am hoping to put a nice system together at a reasonable price. I would like to find a HDTV ready television that I can connect a DVD Player, VCR, possibly video game (playstation2/gamecube/etc.). I will want to run all of it through a nice surround sound system. Most of the time it will be used for watching regular digital cable and DVDs. I have lots of room and would like to get the biggest bang for the buck in regards to a TV...I'm hoping a 36" HDTV tube TV instead of a rear projection but I could be swayed into a projection tv (give me facts on which would be better). I have a receiver that is a few years old and has surround and sounds pretty nice and works just fine....I have 2 tower speakers that each have 2-12" woofers, a 4" mid, and a horn tweeter....I also have a center channel with 2-4" drivers and a soft dome tweeter.....of course to finish the speaker part I have 2 smaller "surround" speakers, each with a 6" driver and soft dome tweeter.

Should I start over and sell my current setup on ebay? Should I use the components I have and spend the $$ on the TV? The receiver I have works just fine (was JVC top of the line a few years ago) and all of the speakers match. Anyone ever buy a large TV online?

So....who can do the best bang for the buck....and how many bucks should I expect to spend??? I realize that's a fairly open-ended question as home theaters are just like anything else...all depends on how deep your pockets are!

Thanks for the help!

Dave
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Registered

Dave, I have been shopping for home theater equipment for a few months to put in a new home I am having built. My primary focus has been on speakers. I have decided to go one of three ways. Since I like clear detailed audio a very high levels I have narrowed my choices to Klipsch RF-7, Paradigm Studio 100, or Axiom Audio M80ti. All three seem to do a great job of reproducing source material in a very forward and detailed manner. The Axioms are sold only on the net unless you live in Canada so there is not really much opportunity to test listen. But, Axiom does offer a free 30 day trial period and they pay shipping if you return them. They are getting killer reviews on www.hometheaterforum.com. The price is about half of the Klipsch or Paradigm package ($1100). I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver that I will probably hang on to for a while. The Yamaha receivers are a little on the bright side as well and typicall do not match well with forward or bright speakers like the Klipsch or Axiom. But I like the sound and can eq the highs down a bit if it gets fatiguing. For an HDTV monitor I have decided on a Pioneer Elite Pro730HD rear projection TV. I wont go into the TV because you are not looking at rear projection units. If you change your mind, check out the features and pictures on the Pioneer Elite units before you purchase anything else. I was impressed. I am keeping my other equipment as is for now but will upgrade as I see fit. I currently have a Sony DVD, Sony CD changer, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, two Sony DSS systems, Sony VCR, and the remainder of my speakers are Klipsch Reference Series (RB-5 for surrounds and RC-3 for center) and SVS 25-31 PCi subwoofer (www.svsubwoofers.com). Good luck on your search. I have been overwhelmed by the amount of misinformation on the net. I have found it best that all three front speakers are timbre matched. That way you get seamless transitions from one side to the other. The best thing to do is go out and look/listen and buy what you like. For speakers, demand an in-home trial or look elsewhere. They WILL sound different in your home with your amp than they did at the audio shop. Check out www.audioreview.com for unbiased opinions of tv's, audio equipment, speakers, etc. It's a really good site. Also check out www.avsforum.com. I'm sure this was not much help but hopefully you can get some good data from the websites I listed. Enjoy.

Mike

Last edited by BigMike; 09-30-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:51 PM
olysan

I'm trying to put together a dedicated home theater as well. I'll be going with a front projector, and large screen, and I'm giving some serious thought to onix speakers for my surround system. They get a lot of good press over at AVS. Troutly (I think) pointed me there a few months ago, and it is a tremendous resource. I'd start there.

Mike

Old 10-01-2003, 07:43 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have definitive techs... reasonable and all systems are well matched. $1200
Sony 34xbr800 excellent picture... its now $1900.
I have an integra receiver, but next time i'd go w/ denon. Get the Denon 1800 or 2800 series. $400/$700?
Just got the Sony DVP725 pro-scan dvd $115 - best sony and good enough for me... now.
I watch dig. cable w/ some hd channels (Miami CSI HD was excellent!) and watch DVDs. Looking to finally pick up an XBOX.
Hope I was of help.

Audiofn may be the best source of help here.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have an Onkyo receiver w/Polk Audio surround sound speaker system. Toshiba big screen TV, Onkyo 6 disk DVD player, Philips 3 CD player/burner, Onkyo Dual cassette player, Sony Mini disk player, JVC VHS player. Also a Carver pre amp and proton amp hooked to the reciever to push the pool deck speakers, pool room speakers, master bath speakers and computer room speakers (all Bose).

And theres still room for more components on the receiver. Plus front outlets for cam corder.

Excellent sound! Excellent system! Only problem we've had is lightning hit the Onkyo receiver last year, had the warrenty and Onkyo replaced it at no charge.