Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the Best 60+" Plasma TV? >

What's the Best 60+" Plasma TV?

Notices

What's the Best 60+" Plasma TV?

Old 10-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once read in Home Theater Magazine that the optium viewing distance was around 3 times the diagonal measurement of the monitor. I second the recommendation for the Pioneer Elite TV's. Try and get DVI and Firewire inputs for future compatibility.

Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Registered

http://www.plasmacity.com/LCD_DISPLAYS/NEC/LCD4000.htm
Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Registered

ASK Bigyellowcat he know's
Old 10-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Troutly,

I took your advice, and I'll wait for the soon to be released Fujitsu and Sony's.

The AVS site is very helpful . . . sort of like OSO!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and input.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
A P,

Best of luck in your mission . I have really enjoyed our 50" plamsa that we put up over the fireplace when we finished our family room last winter. I feel the + of a plasma far outweigh the - (the biggest rub on plasmas seems to be the black levels). I am in awe when I watch HD programming on satellite. Monday Night Football is currently playing
Hey Troutly,
Aren't you a cop? What do work with Tub's and Crocket or something?

Old 10-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Registered

I too am looking at Plasmas', and have a question for those in the know.

I have recently noticed that there is High Definition and Enhanced Definition Plasma monitors. What's the difference ?? The ED monitors are cheaper, but what do you give up in quality........

Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 01:37 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ED is NOT High Definition. I will display a picture, but not full blown HD. THAT is why they are cheaper.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 10-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Plasma TV's..... The myths and the facts..... Well it would take me hours to type it all out. I will try and hit some of the high points you want to think of. First off these sets do tend to have a shorter life span then a CRT type set. They do not however have convergence issues like CRT's so over the course of time your maintnence should be about the same. All plasmas ARE NOT equal. Runco IMO has the best picture out there. They have the best black levels and also handle motion better. If you buy a Runco you are dealing with a company that ONLY sells video product not one that sells tv's, and a half a million other products like Pioneer, Zenith, and so many others. What do you pay to get this quaility.... Well they tend to be a few thousand more then the competition.

What do they do when they go bad. Well beyond the ussuall power supply issues, and manufacturers defects. Plasma screens will tend to drop pixels. When a pixel looses its gas you get a hole in your image. One or two is anoying but you can ussually live with it. You get a lot of them and you will want to toss the set. The more expensive sets seem to have a lower pixel drop out leading me to believe that the cheap sets are getting the "defect" panels for lack of a better term. While the Zenith and many of the others look good out of the box, image seems to deteriorate with time and you get color shifting.

If you want to go over it in more detail you can feel free to call me on my cell phone (978) 985-0639

Jon
Old 10-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh ya EDTV vs HDTV. Fairly Simple. EDTV is wat they call Extended Definition TV. It looks good, you can put HDTV feed into the set but you will not get TRUE HDTV resolution. Your 42" sets are all EDTV. The 43" sets are ussually HDTV.

Jon
Old 10-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Registered

If anyone can get or view one, the Yamaha 50" Plasma has the best picture, shapest definition, and true black that I have ever seen in any of the high end plasma's. The bad news is that they were $13k and now Yamaha has stopped making them because that plant was demolished during a typhoon this past summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.