Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ok, Someone Talk Me Into Moving To The West Coast!! >

Ok, Someone Talk Me Into Moving To The West Coast!!

Notices

Ok, Someone Talk Me Into Moving To The West Coast!!

Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Mitch- Ever thought about the LOTTO area???......doug
Old 11-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My house is still on the market and so is Gottahaveits! if you want waterfront. Just hit a button and you're in the water I have a 20 minute drive to the lake and an hour drive to the gulf but it works for me...

I am too heading out west and what I have found is that you will find what you're looking for in Cali. My family is still in San Fran with my sister till Sunday and they're complaining about the cold

LA is the armpit of Cali IMO but you can move to the country and live the good life also Plenty of mountains around and just a short drive to find some snow...I visit alot for work and never have time to play when I'm there but when my house is sold I am there fulltime
Old 11-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is really hard to say. I know I can ride sleds in CA and I know there are some really cool places in CA. FL seems too close. I feel like there is something there in CA and it does have everything. I just don't know. I will have to visit CA to see what I want.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Registered

Mitch

I thing all you need right now is a serious vacation. when is the last time you had one. and i'm not talking Grand Marais.

find a place warm where you can boat whore for the week and drink Jack and coke!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ok, Someone Talk Me Into Moving To The West Coast!!

Originally posted by MitchStellin
Ok, now that I am starting over, I am seriously thinking of moving to California. I know I can get a job there, I think Wells Fargo is pretty big there and I work here now so no big deal. I have to sell my house and other stuff but that would set me up nicely. How about Orange Co. I don't want the big city but like the convenience of being an hour away or so. I am serious as the heart attack I almost had the other day so no goofing around here. Well, some is ok and naked pics are always welcome.
Just Go.

If you don't like it, well, come back.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch if you want to be a 1 hour comute away from the city you will have to be IN the city. You aint seen traffic tell you seen it there. Other then that there are a lot of good qualities out there.

Jon
Old 11-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Registered

If you want to be happy and aford your boat move south to FL Cali is nice an I want knock it. I just cant aford to live were I would want to and I dont want to live were I can aford. Rag's
Old 11-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Registered

Mitch:

I grew up just north of you in Grand Haven, spent 14 years in CA, and now doing SW Florida in the winter and Annapolis, MD in the summer. West Michigan, IMO, is a great place to be in the summer, but worse than anything but the Dakotas in the winter. I originally moved to Cali to be on the ocean in warm weather, but within driving distance from Skiing. Got kind of burned out on skiing after a while and then Cali started to suck. While I was there, I lived in on the central coast, the bay area, and Sacramento. Here's the deal...

So Cal - Great weather. Crowded as hell. Expensive. Hot chicks, but they're all fake and think they're going to be movie stars. The water's warm and surfing is great. If you can even get a place to keep a boat big enough to go in the ocean there, the cost will kill you.

Central Coast - Most beautiful place in the world. Not much to do though other than surfing and mountain biking. No big cities anywhere. No boating action to speak of other than a few fisherman.

Bay Area - Only place on earth you can make a 100k plus a year and still be broke. Traffic and road rage are worse than LA. Once went to a supermarket and filled up my cart. Left it sitting there and left, cause every checkout line had 30+ people. Can't get a table at any restaurant on Friday or Saturday w/o a resy. The bay isn't too bad if you like to race sailboats. Blows 30 knots almost every day. So damn expensive, people actually commute 4-6 hours a day from the central valley.

Sacramento Area - Hour and a half from Tahoe. 100+ degrees every day in the summer. 40 pound King Salmon are normal in the river. 1200 miles of river in the delta that you can explore by boat, but river boating is all you're going to do. There is Folsom Lake (17000 acres), but there's one marina with slips and they have a 9 year waiting list. The launch ramp is like the Jerry Springer show every weekend. A couple years ago on 4th of July, there were over 10,000 boats on the lake, and I think there are 3 launching facilities.

CA does have the best natural resources on the planet, but the people ruin it. In addition to the issues mentioned above, the hardcore liberals are mainstream out there and they hate everything with a motor. I remember a few years ago when a bunch of liberals were trying to ban the windmills on the Altamont pass near the bay area, because they posed a hazard to flying birds. They actually were taken seriously and got news time. Also, a few years ago, they had a proposition on the ballot in Sac to ban gas powered lawn mowers. Everyone would have to use electric...Ridiculous. It didn't pass, but to even think they would consider it. I couldn't even ride my dirt bike 6 months out of the year on trails. Other than organized racing, you could only ride trails on "approved air quality days". I do plan to go back to visit from time to time, but I don't ever plan to live there again.

My suggestion: Try to figure out a way to stay in MI in the summer and do the FL thing in the winter. I do love Annapolis, but I still miss Grand Haven. Everyone I know that lived there and moved away misses it too.

Grass is always greener.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away on the typing.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Registered

Dawezel,
You are killing me, SF Bay..... is great offshore boating. What more do you want than 30 knot winds and some big rollers.... I thought that was what this website was dedicated to.

As for using electric lawn mowers, that is what the gardner has to deal with and it only would have been for Sacramento city, not the suburbs.

I do agree about the launch ramps though. We often spend a Sunday evening with the lawn chair and a cooler watchnig the ramp action.

July 4th is typically spent in Tahoe where there is plenty of water and few boaters. We can really turn them loose up there (although the altitude kills the power).

You guys are too down on California, it is a great place to live. Stop focusing on the big areas and check out some of the smaller places as well, although I tell you with exception to the summer heat ( which is not an issue due to a/c and boating) Sacramento is the best of both worlds.

Rick

Rick
Old 11-29-2003, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick is absolutely correct. I'm an Iowa boy that has been in Sacramento for 16 years and couldn't think of a better place to live. The seasons are a drive away in the Sierra's and the delta has water that makes me back out of the throttles of my 35 JAGUAR.The delta poker runs are great and the scope run is just a day pull away. We have a great boating season for 7 months and then spend the other 5 months fixing what we have broken. Good luck making a move whatever direction that may be. Doug

Quick Reply: Ok, Someone Talk Me Into Moving To The West Coast!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.