Automatic Fire Extinguishers

Notices

Automatic Fire Extinguishers

Old 12-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jon,

The new Halon alternatives are clean agents also. They are stored as a liquid and when they hit the atmosphere they are a gas. No residue!!!

The FE241 agent works primarily the same as Halon 1301. You just need more agent. Seafire and FireBoy are 2 manufactures of the units they have a chart available which gives the max cubic footage covered by the system.

Remember you can only put one bottle in the engine compartment. That is the way they are designed. There is no guarentee that a second bottle will go off the same time as the first one. Therefore you would not have the proper concentration.

We have installed many Fire Suppression system in high tech facilities using the replacement agents and there is no problem.

CO2 is not good for and engine compartment. If you are in there working and it goes off we will have a death to mourn over. CO2 displaces the oxygen. FE241 and the likes are people safe at the designed concentrations. It breaks up the chain of the fire.

I've designed an installed systems for 17 years in the commercial and industrial industries the Chicago area.

Fireboys number is 616-454-8337 Grand Rapids Mi.
Seafires number is 410-687-5500 Baltimore, Maryland

Any questions please let me know

Mark
Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are saying just go a little large then they recommend or do they take that into account when they factor their cubic feet of coverage? This is one of those things that ya hope that you never need but if you do........

Jon
Old 12-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NO you can go by what they say on the chart. Remember the motors displace a fair amount of the volume of the engine bay. The coverage is figured as an empty volume so you will have plenty of extra gas.

Mark
Old 12-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Now this is a damn worthwile and informative thread. I had some of the same questions. This kind of stuff should be kept at the top for 24 hrs or so. Thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cord
Why not Co2?
Mr Cig is correct in all his statements
In addition
CO2 puts the fire out by depleting the O2, fiberglass or fuel will re-ignite if not completely smothered and thats hard to do.
A CO2 cylinder is also very heavy and would be much more difficult to mount on a boat.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading a letter to the editor of 'Hot Boat' magazine many years ago from a guy who had just picked up his new Eliminator and was heading to Havasu with it. On the way, someone from an oncoming vehicle flicked a cigarette butt into his boat, it started on fire, and he got off to the side of the road to watch his new ride burn to the ground on the trailer.
Know where his fire extinguisher was?
In the boat.

Carry one in your truck. It may save you a lot of headache.

Mr. Cigs comments are right on, but I've seen all the agents in action, new and old on all kinds of fires.
As long as Halon is available, my investments are going to be protected by it, not some EPA approved alternative that does 'nearly' as good a job. Same scenario as 134 vs. R-12- acceptable, but not as good.
Jim